13 time playcalling champion.

SenorGato

Just because some of the same plays are called, doesn't mean the offense was the same. That is a gross oversimplification. The passing game has been almost completely changed. Earlier in the season, we relied on our WRs beating players downfield for big plays. Teams defended us by playing the run, and then hoping for the best on the big play. Occasionally it worked, but plenty of times it didn't.

Now, everything is done closer to the line of scrimmage. The WRs are now accountable for YAC and making plays for first downs rather than Sanchez for throwing perfect deep balls. We try to pick up 8-15 yards per pass in general rather than 20+.

It's a completely different philosophy, and one that makes a ton more sense for the current QB situation.

The question is, do you think the early season approach to offense was done consciously? I have a feeling it was, because Sanchez wasn't so good that he could necessarily could do what he's doing now. Coming into the season I didn't really see him as a QB capable of stringing off a bunch of short passes in a row. That seemed to change when the Pats embarrassed him and everyone went to work.

I mean the whole run the ball and throw it deep thing is what the Giants and Steelers did with young Eli and Ben...also the OL's mid-season struggles probably affected things too.

Either way, we're in a good place now...so...yah.

Just because some of the same plays are called, doesn't mean the offense was the same. That is a gross oversimplification. The passing game has been almost completely changed. Earlier in the season, we relied on our WRs beating players downfield for big plays. Teams defended us by playing the run, and then hoping for the best on the big play. Occasionally it worked, but plenty of times it didn't.

Now, everything is done closer to the line of scrimmage. The WRs are now accountable for YAC and making plays for first downs rather than Sanchez for throwing perfect deep balls. We try to pick up 8-15 yards per pass in general rather than 20+.

It's a completely different philosophy, and one that makes a ton more sense for the current QB situation.

That's the fact of the matter. It was a lot of deep passes, passes across the field. Just difficult to execute throws. That morphed into this passing game where the receivers are closer to the QB, and -lo & behold!- the execution has miraculously improved. By getting the QB and the recievers into that elusive rhythm early, it helps them to execute the more difficult throws later. This just wasn't the case the first dozen or so weeks of the season, where Schottenheimer would call dangerous passes out in the deep flat to open a game.

Schottenheimer has improved the last month of the season, and as a result the offense has improved.

The question is, do you think the early season approach to offense was done consciously? I have a feeling it was, because Sanchez wasn't so good that he could necessarily could do what he's doing now. Coming into the season I didn't really see him as a QB capable of stringing off a bunch of short passes in a row. That seemed to change when the Pats embarrassed him and everyone went to work.

I mean the whole run the ball and throw it deep thing is what the Giants and Steelers did with young Eli and Ben...also the OL's mid-season struggles probably affected things too.

Either way, we're in a good place now...so...yah.

I really don't know. I do know that the throws he's being asked to make now, are ubiquitously considered to be easier, higher percentage throws. I get creating a gameplan around your players, but if your QB can't execute the high percentage stuff, I truly believe you don't put him out on the field.

No one on this message board can answer the cart vs. horse question you propose because we're not at practice or in meetings.

I really don't know. I do know that the throws he's being asked to make now, are ubiquitously considered to be easier, higher percentage throws. I get creating a gameplan around your players, but if your QB can't execute the high percentage stuff, I truly believe you don't put him out on the field.

No one on this message board can answer the cart vs. horse question you propose because we're not at practice or in meetings.

True, but we've seen them try to work a short passing game with Sanchez and it went nowhere...this year's Packers game comes to mind. Seems like their goals this season were to make him more aware of controlling the ball, and as the year went on the full meaning of that started clicking with him. The short pass became something other than a direct playcall or an improvised way to try to salvage a dead play further down field.

I'm curious as to what we're going to do with the Steelers. I've read a couple people say that we were lucky to lose Brad Smith this week, and I kind of agree with that. This week though, I'd prefer to have him healthy and on the field.

Archived