Jets are good for NFL business

Sperm Edwards

Was it just because of the relative TV market populations of the fan bases, or did the country want to witness a David & Goliath story?

http://www.nfl.com/n...le=HP_headlines

While some might say they're growing tired of Ryan's mouth, it's working. The Jets are in their second consecutive AFC Championship Game, and Ryan has a chance to match Tomlin's feat of winning a Super Bowl in only his second season as a head coach.

Plus, the case could be made that Ryan's occasional over-the-top antics are good for the game. After all, the Jets' victory over the New England Patriots on Sunday was the most-watched divisional playoff game in history, and it would be naive to suggest the buildup Ryan helped create in the week leading up to it wasn't part of that.

The media tells everyone that everyone hates the Jets and their trash talking. In reality though, most people hate the Pats and are fed up with the media. The Pats and Cowboys are quite likely the most hated franchises in the NFL. Anytime they lose people are very happy.

The major media outlets promote the established teams (Pats, Steelers, Colts) yet the everyday fan is looking for change...the many Cowboy fans I'm surrounded by have actually enjoyed the Jets, from Hardknocks, to their style of play and the playoff run this year with several jumping on our bandwagon with the Boys season over.

Who do you think the average fan is rooting for against this week? The loudmouth, trash-talking, swinging foot fetish Jets, or the already won enough Championships and have a rapist as a QB Steelers?

I really have to think the rapist turns more support away.

And for all the Commish's bluster, he knows Rex Ryan is a major meal ticket, too. I bet he's pretty happy that the dog killer is gone this year, and wouldn't mind the rapist missing the Super Bowl, either.

Was it just because of the relative TV market populations of the fan bases, or did the country want to witness a David & Goliath story?

http://www.nfl.com/n...le=HP_headlines

While some might say they're growing tired of Ryan's mouth, it's working. The Jets are in their second consecutive AFC Championship Game, and Ryan has a chance to match Tomlin's feat of winning a Super Bowl in only his second season as a head coach.

Plus, the case could be made that Ryan's occasional over-the-top antics are good for the game. After all, the Jets' victory over the New England Patriots on Sunday was the most-watched divisional playoff game in history, and it would be naive to suggest the buildup Ryan helped create in the week leading up to it wasn't part of that.

I think it is a mix of both. NY is the #1 TV market and Boston is #7. Throw in the 4:30 Sunday time slot, the 45-3 MNF game, and all the trash talk and you have a ratings winner.

Archived