Is Vernon Gholston Done as A Jet?

billiejimmy

I really don't believe he has the interest. UDFA guys -with more talent than him- have the desire to keep pushing, in hopes of getting a payday (or at least earning a living for a while). Gholston's already had his, and really never has to work again.

I could see him getting that 'nother chance, and quitting in training camp before being cut.

I don't believe he is that lazy. I do believe that he doesn't like football, but if he were simply in it for the pay check I think we'd have heard a lot more grumbling about him. Everybody seems to say he works hard and does the right thing. I do agree that he doesn't seem to care about football much, but he got paid enough that he didn't have to put in as much as he has and the fact that he got some playing time means something. He probably didn't have to work again after his signing bonus, but he's tried to learn different schemes and change his body for the good of the team. Jeez, I feel like it's Rocky 3.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe he is that lazy. I do believe that he doesn't like football, but if he were simply in it for the pay check I think we'd have heard a lot more grumbling about him. Everybody seems to say he works hard and does the right thing. I do agree that he doesn't seem to care about football much, but he got paid enough that he didn't have to put in as much as he has and the fact that he got some playing time means something. He probably didn't have to work again after his signing bonus, but he's tried to learn different schemes and change his body for the good of the team. Jeez, I feel like it's Rocky 3.

I think he's a good guy -if not a good football player- and felt an obligation to work hard for the money the Jets gave him. Once he's cut, he'll no longer have that obligation. And I just don't think he'll be all that interested in taking on that obligation again for a fraction of the money. Now would be a good time to open up the Vernon Gholston gym chain.

I dont know where this "he doesn't like contact" idea came from. He blasted David Carr in preseason last year, hit so hard it probably took a couple weeks off Carr's life.

The problems with Gholston are getting off blocks, a lack of pass rush moves (he only has a bull rush) and a general lack of awareness. But never have I seen him shy from contact. And I know it's a yearly tradition to bash the departing free agents as completely valueless but i'd wager money Gholston has a job next year (in the NFL, not at long john silvers), and probably for several years after that. Guys like him get tons of chances. We just hate him cause of where he was picked. Westerman actually had less stats than Gholston this year, in similar playing time, but no one starts thread hating him. It was the price paid that make people mad. as a #6 pick he's a bastard but as a street free agent getting a 2nd chance he probably offers decent value. I could see him as a Bengal, they love reclamation projects and he's local to there. one thing we can say about him is he's tough and durable, not like Drob with the bad knee, Gholston is going to have a career.

Not hard to stay healthy when he barely plays. And the other difference between him and Westerman is that when it came playoff time, Gholston was on the bench, Westerman was not. Also, willingness to hit a relatively defenseless QB is not the same as willingness to get dirty and taking on a charging RB.

As for the comment about liking to bash departing FAs, please. It's not like everyone was singing his praises before, nor is he actually a FA. He's going to get cut. That's right, in year 4, the #6 overall pick is not going to be on the team, has no trade value, he's simply going to be released for no compensation.

My guess, he gets a 2-3 year deal from a team like the Bengals, as you say, doesn't make it to the end of the deal, and is never heard from again.

Archived