Is Vernon Gholston Done as A Jet?

billiejimmy

Not neccessarily.

If he's willing to come back for the Minimum salary, as a depth D-Lineman option, I think there is a chance Rex and Tanny would retain him.

I know.

But I'm not convinced he'll be dumped till I see the press release saying it's a done deal. Given our D-line today, as it stands, I'm not sure he wouldn't be kept simply as a warm body to hold a roster spot.

Both Tanny and Rex can (at times) be stubborn over draft picks they made. Rex may yet think he can "fix" the Ghost into something productive.

/wait and see.....

I don't think it is his salary that is a problem, but it is the roster bonus due in early March. They are NOT paying that. He's sucked, but I think he was still ahead of Dixon and Gilbert on the depth chart.

The fact that they preferred Westerman as a pass rusher and to carry and extra DT over ANY backup DEs against the Steelers is quite an idictment. Especially after carrying all those DBs against the Colts and Pats. Sure Dixon and Gilbert were inactive all playoffs long too, but still...

They seem to be talking about him like he is gone. If I were his agent I would want to shop him as a DE to a 4-3 team. He got a weird shake this year. They asked him to bulk up t move to DE. He is small for a 3-4 DE, but he did it. Then as the season started he was the primary backup to Taylor at OLB because of Pace's injury. I'd assume Westerman should have been there, but was dinged up.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch Belichick pick him up the minute he's dumped!! "Come on in Vernon. Let's talk about that old Jets Play Book ..."

Belli: Hey Vern what can you tell me

Vernon: I like to super set to get max pumped

Belli: What?

Vernon: My arms man

Belli: I meant about football, the Jets playbook?

Vernon: What?

Belli:GTFO

First round draft busts happen all the time, so Gholston is nothing new.

Also, the 2008 1st round wasn't anything special after the Jets drafted so it wasn't a, "Oh my gosh, the Jets passed on _______!"

Further, the Jets have had a winning record every season that Gholston has been on the team. That hasn't nothing to do with Gholston, of course. But it does mean the Jets avoided being ruined by a top 10 bust which has happened so many times.

100% gone.

When the GM talks about a guy who "had plenty of opportunities" that guy is gone.

When the Jets played 3 of the biggest games in franchise history and a recent Top 10 pick is inactive for all of them, he's gone.

Disaster of a pick. But fortunately, we've been successful during that time, so in a few years, it wont be remembered.

Really all that's left is bitonti's mea culpa.

100% gone.

When the GM talks about a guy who "had plenty of opportunities" that guy is gone.

When the Jets played 3 of the biggest games in franchise history and a recent Top 10 pick is inactive for all of them, he's gone.

Disaster of a pick. But fortunately, we've been successful during that time, so in a few years, it wont be remembered.

Really all that's left is bitonti's mea culpa.

We still haven't gotten a mea culpa out of him on DeWayne Robertson.

I must have missed it.

Said he was wrong. Said he learned a lesson about picking players who are just combine guys with no real college production. Also said that Gholston was different because he had that college production.

Sadly, Robertson, in his first 3 years, managed 8 sacks and 2 FF for the Jets compared to Gholston's 0 and 0. Robertson also recorded more tackles in any one season than Gholston had in his career.

Said he was wrong. Said he learned a lesson about picking players who are just combine guys with no real college production. Also said that Gholston was different because he had that college production.

I still maintain that Vernon Gholston will be a decent NFL player. Not for the Jets obviously but for someone he will run stuff and contribute rotationally... probably in a 4-3 as a weakside DE. He won't ever be a sack master probably but he's going to be a player in the league with a paycheck... and if that makes him a bust well then he's a bust. Note I never said that Gholston would be great, what i said was it was too soon to tell. With Drob I thought he would be great.

I still maintain that Vernon Gholston will be a decent NFL player. Not for the Jets obviously but for someone he will run stuff and contribute rotationally... probably in a 4-3 as a weakside DE. He won't ever be a sack master probably but he's going to be a player in the league with a paycheck... and if that makes him a bust well then he's a bust. Note I never said that Gholston would be great, what i said was it was too soon to tell. With Drob I thought he would be great.

Gholston doesn't like the contact of the game, bit. No front-seven player can overcome that. He's soft. He's done.

Gholston doesn't like the contact of the game, bit. No front-seven player can overcome that. He's soft. He's done.

Yeah, I was about to say...no way a guy like him could ever be a run stuffer. He cant shed block. He cant move laterally. Dude is an absolute waste. All he could ever do or be is a stop game contain guy...nothing more nothing less.

He's seriously awful. Just look back at his college film too. Any tackle the guys has ever made was with his arms...never wrapped anyone up, ever. All tugging and pulling, reaching and grabbing. All finesse. Complete and utter pussy. No joke, I'm certain one punch to VG's nose and he runs home crying.

Yeah, I was about to say...no way a guy like him could ever be a run stuffer. He cant shed block. He cant move laterally. Dude is an absolute waste. All he could ever do or be is a stop game contain guy...nothing more nothing less.

He's seriously awful. Just look back at his college film too. Any tackle the guys has ever made was with his arms...never wrapped anyone up, ever. All tugging and pulling, reaching and grabbing. All finesse. Complete and utter pussy. No joke, I'm certain one punch to VG's nose and he runs home crying.

Only way his career gets saved is if some team gives him the Lawrence from Full Metal Jacket treatment, soap bars and all.

I don't think that's very fair. Just because he doesn't like to hit or tackle does that mean he doesn't "like the contact?" I think not!! For God's sake, we're talking about Vernon FREAKIN Gholston!!!! Kid's a beast!!!

I dont know where this "he doesn't like contact" idea came from. He blasted David Carr in preseason last year, hit so hard it probably took a couple weeks off Carr's life.

The problems with Gholston are getting off blocks, a lack of pass rush moves (he only has a bull rush) and a general lack of awareness. But never have I seen him shy from contact. And I know it's a yearly tradition to bash the departing free agents as completely valueless but i'd wager money Gholston has a job next year (in the NFL, not at long john silvers), and probably for several years after that. Guys like him get tons of chances. We just hate him cause of where he was picked. Westerman actually had less stats than Gholston this year, in similar playing time, but no one starts thread hating him. It was the price paid that make people mad. as a #6 pick he's a bastard but as a street free agent getting a 2nd chance he probably offers decent value. I could see him as a Bengal, they love reclamation projects and he's local to there. one thing we can say about him is he's tough and durable, not like Drob with the bad knee, Gholston is going to have a career.

I dont know where this "he doesn't like contact" idea came from. He blasted David Carr in preseason last year, hit so hard it probably took a couple weeks off Carr's life.

Come on, dude. Gholston was completely unblocked on that play when Boothe mistakenly blocked down. Just an awful example.

The problems with Gholston are getting off blocks, a lack of pass rush moves (he only has a bull rush) and a general lack of awareness. But never have I seen him shy from contact. And I know it's a yearly tradition to bash the departing free agents as completely valueless but i'd wager money Gholston has a job next year (in the NFL, not at long john silvers), and probably for several years after that. Guys like him get tons of chances. We just hate him cause of where he was picked. Westerman actually had less stats than Gholston this year, in similar playing time, but no one starts thread hating him. It was the price paid that make people mad. as a #6 pick he's a bastard but as a street free agent getting a 2nd chance he probably offers decent value. I could see him as a Bengal, they love reclamation projects and he's local to there. one thing we can say about him is he's tough and durable, not like Drob with the bad knee, Gholston is going to have a career.

This is an awful example. And I'm really starting to doubt if Rex has absolutely no use for the guy in year 3, to the point he's inactive in playoff games...he might not have a career...and if he does, you wont even know about it.

Also, was Westerman active in those games? Bottom line is, Gholston scored by getting a coach who is known for the getting the most out of defenders...and he was still worthless.

It's true that high draft pick busts usually get another chance (or two), but I really don't know about Gholston. First, I think Rex and Pettine are pretty well respected as defensive coaches, and they got absolutely nothing out of the guy. Second, I don't know that Gholston is even interested enough in football to bother playing for the league minimum. He's pocketed -what?- $18M? More? Is it really worth it to him to do all the work and try to be good at this game for another lousy $500K? I tend to doubt it. I think he's made plenty of money, and he can support himself for the rest of his life off of it and do something that he likes.

If he's not out of football this year, he will be next year. If there's a lockout/strike, I definitely think he's done this year. No way he'll bother with football after a year off.

It's true that high draft pick busts usually get another chance (or two), but I really don't know about Gholston. First, I think Rex and Pettine are pretty well respected as defensive coaches, and they got absolutely nothing out of the guy. Second, I don't know that Gholston is even interested enough in football to bother playing for the league minimum. He's pocketed -what?- $18M? More? Is it really worth it to him to do all the work and try to be good at this game for another lousy $500K? I tend to doubt it. I think he's made plenty of money, and he can support himself for the rest of his life off of it and do something that he likes.

If he's not out of football this year, he will be next year. If there's a lockout/strike, I definitely think he's done this year. No way he'll bother with football after a year off.

Add to that teams have plenty of tape of Gholston playing end on a 4-man line here and he was as invisible and useless as ever. There is no mystery scenario in which Gholston can magically go to and thrive as a player, despite bitonti's wishful thinking. He's had the perfect coach actively searching for ideal positions in which Gholston might succeed and he's failed given every opportunity. To suggest that Gholston is going to leave here and flourish in a better (mythical) situation is simply the height of denial. You can take the Gholston out of Jersey, but you'll never get the smell out.

Add to that teams have plenty of tape of Gholston playing end on a 4-man line here and he was as invisible and useless as ever. There is no mystery scenario in which Gholston can magically go to and thrive as a player, despite bitonti's wishful thinking. He's had the perfect coach actively searching for ideal positions in which Gholston might succeed and he's failed given every opportunity. To suggest that Gholston is going to leave here and flourish in a better (mythical) situation is simply the height of denial. You can take the Gholston out of Jersey, but you'll never get the smell out.

I'm with Bit. I think he'll get another chance and hang around for some time. Flourish is a different matter completely. I don't see that. Rotation guy/spot starter? I think there is a better than even chance.

I'm with Bit. I think he'll get another chance and hang around for some time. Flourish is a different matter completely. I don't see that. Rotation guy/spot starter? I think there is a better than even chance.

In order to last in the league, you have to do one thing really well consistently. What does Gholston do well?

In order to last in the league, you have to do one thing really well consistently. What does Gholston do well?

Bryan Thomas has started in the NFL for close to 10 years on some excellent defenses. What exactly does he do well?

Gholston may be bad or he may be atrocious. We don't know yet. If he is only bad, his size and speed will keep him in the NFL for some time. It is possible that he will eventually rise to the level of serviceable. He is a 285 lb guy that can contribute downfield on special teams. Sure he was inactive, but so were Dixon and Gilbert. The team did not carry any extra DEs in the playoffs-unless you count Pryce or Taylor.

Bryan Thomas has started in the NFL for close to 10 years on some excellent defenses. What exactly does he do well?

Gholston may be bad or he may be atrocious. We don't know yet. If he is only bad, his size and speed will keep him in the NFL for some time. It is possible that he will eventually rise to the level of serviceable. He is a 285 lb guy that can contribute downfield on special teams. Sure he was inactive, but so were Dixon and Gilbert. The team did not carry any extra DEs in the playoffs-unless you count Pryce or Taylor.

I reeeeeeally don't want to get into a debate over the supremacy of Bryan Thomas vs. Vernon Gholston :D but Thomas will at least stick his nose in at the line of scrimmage to hold the point whereas Gholston has mastered the Kerry Rhodes routine of being the guy most often seen standing next to the pile. And, as sad as it is, Thomas has at least shown some promise rushing the passer. Gholston's best contributions have come in special teams, where he basically stole the job of a more deserving UDFA. Jason Trusnik did what Gholston did, but Trusnik did it 400x better.

I reeeeeeally don't want to get into a debate over the supremacy of Bryan Thomas vs. Vernon Gholston :D but Thomas will at least stick his nose in at the line of scrimmage to hold the point whereas Gholston has mastered the Kerry Rhodes routine of being the guy most often seen standing next to the pile. And, as sad as it is, Thomas has at least shown some promise rushing the passer. Gholston's best contributions have come in special teams, where he basically stole the job of a more deserving UDFA. Jason Trusnik did what Gholston did, but Trusnik did it 400x better.

Jason Trusnik? Didn't we trade him straight up for Mark Sanchez?

Oh YEAH? How about THIS!?!?

From three years ago--

Bravo. You should have searched. I'm sure the truth is even funnier. I had to look it up. I knew three players were in the Sanchez deal. You and I picked the two that weren't. First thing I saw was King saying Elam was the "cornerstone" to the Sanchez deal. I remember Stuckey caught a few balls from Sanchez, but I couldn't remember what happend to Trusnik. Kenyon Coleman and Ratliff were the other two in the Sanchez deal if you are playing at home.

I really don't believe he has the interest. UDFA guys -with more talent than him- have the desire to keep pushing, in hopes of getting a payday (or at least earning a living for a while). Gholston's already had his, and really never has to work again.

I could see him getting that 'nother chance, and quitting in training camp before being cut.

Archived