Dave Duerson found dead

visajets

Member of ’85 Bears defense found dead at home

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 18, 2011, 11:27 AM EST

Former Bears safety Dave Duerson, a member of perhaps the greatest post-merger NFL defense, has passed away at the age of 51.

NBCChicago.com confirmed through the Miami Dade county coroner that Duerson was found dead Thursday night. The cause of death is unknown.

“Our family asks that you please remember Dave as a good, kind, and caring man,” Alicia Duerson, Dave’s ex-wife said.

Duerson won two Super Bowl titles in his 11-year career; he also won a title with the ’93 Giants. The ’85 Bears’ dominant group has two current head coaches in the league (Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera) and two recent ones (Mike Singletary, Jeff Fisher.)

Duerson’s passing is another sad moment for the group; William “Refrigerator” Perry’s health troubles have also been a concern. Duerson hosted an Internet radio show called “Double Time with Double D” and broadcast his final show Thursday.

We pass along our condolences to the Duerson family at this difficult time.

UPDATE: “Today is a difficult day for all of us who loved Dave,” the Bears said in a statement. “We’ll miss him.”

UPDATE II: “Dave Duerson was a leader,” NFLPA spokesman George Atallah said. “A player advocate. He was an NFLPA rep and exec comittee member. He served as a trustee for the NFLPA on retirement board.”

I caught that as well. He was a member of the 1990 Super Bowl team. He was a beast when he played in Chicago.

RIP

Yes, clearly I remember him on the '90 Giants SB team... I had the Giants getting either 7 or 8 and then some guy I knew (a Giants homer) agreed to a bet where I took the Bills with no spread. Worst case, I would've owed the bookie the vig if the Giants got routed, but if Norwood makes that FG, I hit the middle and win both bets.

I can see being off by 1 year or mixing it up with another year in which that team won a SB, but to mistakenly cite him as a member of a '93 Giants SB team seems so random and amateur. Then again, I don't think Rotoworld was around in the early-90's.

Reported in the Miami Herald that he shot himself and his family is donating his brain for research into chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a condition linked to athletes who have

sustained repeated concussions.

Jesus Christ. RIP. I think Andre Waters did the same thing. They should make Jerry Richardson serve as a pall-bearer.

Reported in the Miami Herald that he shot himself and his family is donating his brain for research into chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a condition linked to athletes who have

sustained repeated concussions.

He shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain. He also texted his family to tell them to donate his brain to the study.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6141129

Report: Dave Duerson texted family

Former four-time Pro Bowl safety Dave Duerson, who committed suicide Thursday by shooting himself in the chest, sent text messages to family asking that his brain be examined for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a condition linked to more than a dozen deceased NFL players, The New York Times has reported.

Archived