2011 NFL Mock Draft: Who the New York Jets Will Select with Each Pick

Gas2No99

2011 NFL Mock Draft: Who the New York Jets Will Select with Each Pick

By Chris Leyden (Correspondent) on April 6, 2011 - East Ruthersford

The New York Jets have six picks in this year's upcoming NFL Draft and will likely look to add the missing pieces that held them back from reaching the Super Bowl in last year's playoffs.

84390229_crop_150x150.jpg

The Jets have a single pick in every round but the second, which they lost to the San Diego Chargers in the trade for Antonio Cromartie.

Obviously, the Jets biggest need is a pass-rusher, but with the pending free agency of Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes, the Jets may go after a wide receiver early on.

Another option is for the Jets to trade up for one of the premier players in this year's class, or trade down to add more picks.

Although both fans of the team and the Jets organization themselves likely won't know what they are doing until they are on the clock, this is what I think will happen in all seven rounds for the Jets. To keep from confusing trade situations, I have assumed the Jets make no moves during the draft.

First Round (#30)- Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor

All signs are pointing towards the Jets going after a down-lineman with their first pick and if Phil Taylor is still around, it will be hard for the Jets not to draft him.

Taylor possess both the size and strength to play nose-tackle, a position that has been a weak spot the past few years with Kris Jenkins going down with injuries.

Now, Jenkins is off the roster and even though the Jets could resign him or could be content with the play of Sione Pouha, it seems more likely that they will select a big man in the draft.

Taylor may not be the best defensive tackle in the class, but he is the player best built to play nosetackle and would fit into the Jets scheme perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezk5xKe_vHg&feature=player_embedded"]My link

Other options here include DE Cameron Heyward of Ohio State or OLB Akeem Ayers of UCLA.

Third Round (#94)- Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State

With the Jets not having a second round pick, most of the top outside linebacker prospects may be off the board. One that could hang around until late in the third round is Chris Carter from Fresno State.

Carter actually played defensive end for the Bulldogs, but because of his smaller size, he is better suited to play outside linebacker in the NFL.

Carter will give the Jets a great pass rusher from the edge on third and long situations, but will not be an every down player for them.

Some experts say that Carter's biggest weakness is his consistency, but if the Jets were to use him only in certain situations, they may avoid that pitfall.

Other options at this slot include DE Allen Bailey of Miami and WR Edmond Gates of Abilene Christian.

Fourth Round (#126)- Chris Culliver, FS, South Carolina

By selecting Chris Culliver in the fourth round the Jets accomplish two things, they add a safety to their roster and also gain one of the best kick returners in the draft class.

The Jets have a lot of questions at safety, with Jim Leonard recovering from a broken leg and Brodney Pool a pending free agent.

Culliver is coming off a torn-pectoral, but should be ready once training camp arrives. With an abnormally weak class of safeties, Culliver may or may not be NFL quality, but it is a position the Jets need to draft and the later they go, the less talented the players get.

Culliver will add a lot of value in the kick-return department, as he set the South Carolina record for most career kick return yards.

Other options here include K Alex Henery of Nebraska and WR Terrance Toliver of LSU.

Fifth Round (#161)- Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State

After the Jets go defensive with their first three picks, it will be time to tend to a position that may be in trouble depending on free agency.

The Jets could potentially lose both Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes, which would leave them with Jerricho Cotchery and Brad Smith, a free agent, playing receiver. Although it seems unlikely the Jets will lose both these players, they need to draft as if it is a possibility.

One of the bigger sleepers in the draft at receiver is Austin Pettis, and if he is still around at the end of the fifth round I would strongly advise the Jets to select him.

Pettis is a bigger receiver with great hands, but one who lacks great speed and route-running skills. That being said, he is Boise State's all time leader in both receptions and receiving touchdowns.

Other options here include WR Jeremy Kerley of TCU or CB Chris L. Rucker of Michigan State.

Sixth Round (#194)- Richard Sherman, CB, Stanford

It seems likely that Antonio Cromartie will be back next season and even if he is, I still think the Jets will draft another cornerback.

This doesn't mean the Jets are going to follow last year's plan and go after a corner in the first round, but after they plug the bigger holes, they will add players with a lot of potential.

Richard Sherman's stock has risen of late and he has the potential to play both ways. Sherman was the leading receiver on the Cardinals before switching sides of the ball to play cornerback.

As an ex-wide receiver, Sherman's biggest strength is his hands, but he would be a project for the Jets, who would have to teach him a lot about playing on the defensive side of the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0NNe1DbftA&feature=player_embedded

Other options this late in the draft include QB Tyrod Taylor of Virginia Tech and OG Justin Boren of Ohio State.

Seventh Round (#208)- Schuylar Oordt, TE, Northern Iowa

o finish off this year's New York Jets' draft class, I think the Jets will go back to the offensive side of the ball and add a player to back up Dustin Keller.

Schuylar Oordt is a sleeper because he attended Northern Iowa and even there, he did not put up monster numbers.

Oordt could be a serious threat coming off the line because he stands at 6'6" and is one of the faster tight ends in the class.

Teams like the New England Patriots have shown that two pass-catching tight ends can work and right now, the Jets only have one in Dustin Keller.

Other possible picks in this final slot for the Jets are RB Da'Rel Scott of Maryland and OT Chris Hairston of Clemson.

****** SUMMARY********

108482038_crop_150x150.jpg?

This is the third article in my 32 part Draft Take series leading up to the NFL Draft.

The Jets made it all the way to the AFC Championship game as a number six seed for the second season in a row, yet for the second straight year, they fell just short of making it to the big game. Mike Tannenbaum has done a pretty solid job so far in New York, and Rex Ryan is quickly becoming a top head coach in the NFL. They will have a lot of big decisions to make on free agents this season, but they have enough talent that they can still contend for a title next season even if they lose a couple of their big free agents.

Mark Sanchez can be inconsistent at times, but not many quarterbacks can say that they took their team to the conference championship game in their first two seasons. Sure, he’s been helped by the talent around him, but he still has the raw talent and intangibles to lead his team to greatness. LaDainian Tomlinson is starting to slow down, but he can still be effective in a tandem backfield with Shonn Greene. Joe McKnight could take over for L.T. in a season or two, but he wasn’t very impressive in his rookie year. The receiving core could look very different next season, as Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Brad Smith are all free agents. I expect Holmes to be back, but I doubt that you will see all three of these guys back in New York next year. Dustin Keller is one of the better young tight ends in the league. The offensive line is pretty solid all round, and are led by pro bowlers D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold. The one question mark is at right tackle, where Damien Woody was recently released.

The defense was pretty impressive last season, but there are some question marks heading into next season. Shaun Ellis is nearing the end, and Kris Jenkins was released after missing most of yet another season. Sione Pouha played well last season, but the Jets may look for a long term option at nose tackle. Look for the Jets to take, at the very least, one defensive lineman in the upcoming draft. The Jets are set at inside linebacker, as David Harris is one of the top linebackers in the NFL and Bart Scott is still playing at a high level. The problem is at the outside linebacker positions, where Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas are expected to be the starters. The Jets could obviously do a lot worse at this position, but they need to find some long term options, especially after the release of big time bust Vernon Gholston. The Jets have one of the top cornerback tandems in the league in Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie. Kyle Wilson struggled in his rookie season, but he’s got a lot of potential. Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool make up a solid, yet unspectacular safety tandem.

i hate the Phil taylor projection. it's all over the net. There's no way Phil Taylor is a better football player than Sione Pouha. NT is not really that bad of a need for this team. They need an Ellis replacement. They need a Bryan Thomas replacement. They need a safety. They don't need a NT. not in round 1.

i hate the Phil taylor projection. it's all over the net. There's no way Phil Taylor is a better football player than Sione Pouha. NT is not really that bad of a need for this team. They need an Ellis replacement. They need a Bryan Thomas replacement. They need a safety. They don't need a NT. not in round 1.

Jenkins isn't coming back, though, so NT is a big need. Not saying Taylor is THE pick, but I can see Tannenbaum getting jumpy and addressing it early. Is Taylor a fat mess?

Jenkins isn't coming back, though, so NT is a big need. Not saying Taylor is THE pick, but I can see Tannenbaum getting jumpy and addressing it early. Is Taylor a fat mess?

Pouha is the starter. they have a starter. Any position where they have a starter, and aren't gonna cut him, isn't that big of a need. Taylor is ok he's just not great. A very poor man's wilfork. He's not going to help the pass rush.

Didn't Pouha play a good amount at end when Jenkins was healthy? If Taylor's ready to contribute early on, perhaps they could do the same thing. That's really the only way I see it being logical to take Taylor.

That said, I do think NT is a need, just more of a mid-round need. I'd like to bring in somebody to back up Pouha and be groomed to start, though that's easier said than done.

fans might not agree but i think Rex loves this MTV fellow. it says alot to have the guy active for AFC CG.

Good point, it'll be interesting to see if he can take another step in the right direction this year. I kind of think DE might be less prioritized as well with Dixon/Gilbert/Pitoitua. Seems like they think relatively highly of all of them, and if it was just one guy I'm not sure how confident I'd be that he ends up being a good player but I think it would be a bit of an upset if none of the three did.

put it another way if we were the Chiefs, trying to run a 3-4 with no NT, Phil Taylor becomes an attractive target. The Jets have several NT and Rex seems to just find these guys and develop them on the cheap. If the Jets take a front seven player... that player has to rush the passer. Rex can find run stuffers.

Archived