New York Jets Mock 2011

Jetscode1

My first attempt this year. Check it out tell me if you would like our draft if it turned something like this...

30 Brooks Reed   LB/DE   Arizona (Finally some youth and speed off the edge)

94 Marcus Gilchrist   S/CB   Clemson (Rex loves DBs and we need a safety)

126 Lee Ziemba   OT   Auburn (Big body to push Vlad for the RT job/provide depth)

161 Karl Klug   DE   Iowa (Rotational guy could play 3-4 DE)

184 Greg McElroy   QB   Alabama (smart/manage the game guy...Brunnel is old/Clemens is trbl)

208 Chris Neild   DT   West Virginia (another lunch pail guy to rotate at NT)

My first attempt this year. Check it out tell me if you would like our draft if it turned something like this...

30 Brooks Reed   LB/DE   Arizona (Finally some youth and speed off the edge)

94 Marcus Gilchrist   S/CB   Clemson (Rex loves DBs and we need a safety)

126 Lee Ziemba   OT   Auburn (Big body to push Vlad for the RT job/provide depth)

161 Karl Klug   DE   Iowa (Rotational guy could play 3-4 DE)

184 Greg McElroy   QB   Alabama (smart/manage the game guy...Brunnel is old/Clemens is trbl)

208 Chris Neild   DT   West Virginia (another lunch pail guy to rotate at NT)

Super Bowl!

Not in love with the idea on taking another under-sized DE and trying to make him an OLB, especially if he's not a superior athlete.

Whether you're in love with the idea is sort of beside the point. The list of programs that land superior athletes and run the 3-4 basically starts and ends with Alabama.

Thanks for the feedback. We desparately need some youth and vigor for the pass rush. Would love to see our draft end with players like these.

Yep, whether it's Reed or Houston, or Ayers or Bailey I would really like to see an edge rusher at 1. I like Gilchrist b/c he's a hybrid who can play man from the S position when needed. He's an underrated S prospect...imo. Klug just seems like he'd fit somewhere...anywhere in a Rex system whether it's ILB or at End who knows. I've read pre-game excepts from a B10 HC that goes out of his way to say that Klug is a guy that made him more nervous than Clayborn or Ballard. obviously you take stuff like that with a grain of salt but still...maybe he can be another Teddy Bruschi type (college DL turned into ILB...which some are saying he could be)

I really don't want a QB taken with a pick though. JMO. And picking an OT in the 4th probably means Vlad isn't ready and Hunter isn't resigned...which I do not like. I think they need a blocking TE with reliable hands somewhere in the late rounds.

Yep, whether it's Reed or Houston, or Ayers or Bailey I would really like to see an edge rusher at 1. I like Gilchrist b/c he's a hybrid who can play man from the S position when needed. He's an underrated S prospect...imo. Klug just seems like he'd fit somewhere...anywhere in a Rex system whether it's ILB or at End who knows. I've read pre-game excepts from a B10 HC that goes out of his way to say that Klug is a guy that made him more nervous than Clayborn or Ballard. obviously you take stuff like that with a grain of salt but still...maybe he can be another Teddy Bruschi type (college DL turned into ILB...which some are saying he could be)

I really don't want a QB taken with a pick though. JMO. And picking an OT in the 4th probably means Vlad isn't ready and Hunter isn't resigned...which I do not like. I think they need a blocking TE with reliable hands somewhere in the late rounds.

Agreed on the first pick...we need to get pass rusher who gets there in a hurry. Any of the names you mentioned would work...also think Gilchrist is the best DB for our needs. I'm still not sure about Cro and/or Wilson plus we still need help at safety. The QB was just because I hate the Brunnel/Clemens combo and doubt Ainge makes on the roster...like to have a developmental guy who won in college. On the OT just didn't look like Vlad was ready last year and although Hunter was OK...I tend to agree with Parcell's big planet theory. Can't have enough of those guys. The TE was an option but don't we have like four on the roster already. Might be time to bring someone who can catch and block.

Whether you're in love with the idea is sort of beside the point. The list of programs that land superior athletes and run the 3-4 basically starts and ends with Alabama.

True, but if Rex wants to convert DE's like he did in Baltimore, I'd rather he tried it with a later pick...unless he thinks Jabaal Sheard (or the like) is the next Demarcus Ware. You can get Jarrett Johnson-style tough guy projects in the 4th round. From everything you read on Brooks Reed, his main asset is "scrappy." Granted, if Gholston or Bryan Thomas had a little bit of "scrappiness," they'd be better players.

True, but if Rex wants to convert DE's like he did in Baltimore, I'd rather he tried it with a later pick...unless he thinks Jabaal Sheard (or the like) is the next Demarcus Ware. You can get Jarrett Johnson-style tough guy projects in the 4th round. From everything you read on Brooks Reed, his main asset is "scrappy." Granted, if Gholston or Bryan Thomas had a little bit of "scrappiness," they'd be better players.

Suggs was a DE at ASU and the tenth overall pick.

Suggs was a DE at ASU and the tenth overall pick.

Also true, but I don't think anyone is saying that Reed is anywhere near Suggs' class as a prospect. The only reason Suggs dropped to 10th in the first place is because he ran a slow 40, which was pretty much the sane 40 that Reed runs.

Archived