Cimini: Pre Draft Rumblings

flgreen

Jets pre-draft rumblings

April, 20, 2011

Apr 20

5:53

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

A story broke over the weekend, reported by CBSSports.com, saying Baylor NT Phil Taylor has been red-flagged by some teams because of an inoperable condition in his feet. According to the report, the 334-pound Taylor has bones growing together in both feet, causing considerable pain.

Taylor could be in play for the Jets, who own the 30th pick. Teams have been known to put out misinformation on prospects, so I checked with a general manager (not Mike Tannenbaum). The GM, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Taylor's condition "is not acute." He said Taylor wears orthotic supports in his shoes and tends to walk on the side of his feet, but the GM added that it's not serious enough to warrant dropping him on the draft board.

That's one team's opinion. You might get 32 different opinions on Taylor's feet. Here's a fact: Taylor has started 25 games the last two seasons, missing a start in 2009 due to a turf-toe injury. It's unclear if the turf toe was related to the so-called condition.

LATEST BUZZ: The names I'm hearing for the Jets at No. 30 are Taylor, UCLA OLB Akeem Ayers and Arizona OLB Brooks Reed. There's always the possibility of a player unexpectedly tumbling to 30, like Temple DE Muhammad Wilkerson. In fact, Sports Illustrated's Peter King has the Jets taking Wilkerson in his mock draft, saying that Rex Ryan envisions Wilkerson as a Haloti Ngata-type player in terms of versatility on the defensive line. If Ryan could get a Ngata-esque player -- remember, he coached him in Baltimore -- he'd sign up in a nanosecond.

KIPER SAYS: ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper had some interesting comments Wednesday on Colorado CB Jimmy Smith, who apparently has rehabilitated his image and is rising up draft boards. At Colorado, Smith had two alcohol-related arrests and flunked at least one drug test for marijuana.

Kiper said Smith's off-the-field issues "are not as big a deal as people thought it might be ... He has shot way up ... The teams I've spoken to feel very comfortable about Jimmy Smith. Talent-wise, it's a no-brainer. He's a top-10 guy."

Kiper thinks Smith could go as high to the Lions at No. 13. It appears there's little chance of him slipping to 30. If somehow he did, I think Ryan would pound the table for him.

ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE: On Wednesday, Mike Mayock, of the NFL Network, offered his take on the Jets' options at 30.

"I think there are three guys you have to look at there -- Akeem Ayers, (Georgia's) Justin Houston and Brooks Reed. I'm not Justin Houston guy, just on work ethic and hustle. I think he’s a gifted kid, but I don't see it on tape. Ayers, you see it sometomes, and let’s face it, Rex is pretty opinionated as to his ability to motivate kids. This kid has got some ability, you can see it on tape. He’s got edge-rush ability, he fits them from a scheme perspective. Reed's got a high motor. I think he’s more of second-round pick, but when you're drafting at end of first round, he’s a guy you want in your back pocket. So, yes, I think Reed is in play."

as we get closer... the Jets brought in a sh*t-ton of linebackers (not conversion DE) i think a pick like Ayers, Houston or Wilson is very likely. The Jets seem to want players that have already stood up. They haven't brought in Reed, Sheard etc so that pick seems unlikely at 30. they also will be looking for pass rushing DT like Wilkerson or Liuget but it's questionable if either are on the board.

as we get closer... the Jets brought in a sh*t-ton of linebackers (not conversion DE) i think a pick like Ayers, Houston or Wilson is very likely. The Jets seem to want players that have already stood up. They haven't brought in Reed, Sheard etc so that pick seems unlikely at 30. they also will be looking for pass rushing DT like Wilkerson or Liuget but it's questionable if either are on the board.

It's weird that they haven't even brought in Reed or Sheard. You'd think both would be high on their list, considering their needs. With Ayers, Wilson, etc, maybe Rex wants more versatility from a new LB--guys to deal with the Pats TEs--and moving away from 265 lb. stand-up ends.

It's weird that they haven't even brought in Reed or Sheard. You'd think both would be high on their list, considering their needs.

they also haven't brought in Cameron Heyward or Allen Bailey... the guy they reportedly love is Cam Jordan (who did visit). If this were another year and the Jets had a full compliment of picks, and could trade players, they'd make a move for Cam Jordan.

It's weird that they haven't even brought in Reed or Sheard. You'd think both would be high on their list, considering their needs. With Ayers, Wilson, etc, maybe Rex wants more versatility from a new LB--guys to deal with the Pats TEs--and moving away from 265 lb. stand-up ends.

I think this is the exact case...Rex consistently has had all his LBs...even the OLBs, who for some reason fans have decided to limited to merely a pass rusher...learn everything about playing the LB position. Suggs went through a couple seasons of less sacks because Rex and Pettine decided to put more on his plate...he took to it...this D isn't what it is without the players being multi-skilled football players.

I'm hoping for Heyward or Ayers...Phil Taylor wouldn't be bad either...everyone else please trade back for.

everyone else please trade back for.

Trade down is definitely what they want to do this year. Jets fans don't be surprised if you sit through the whole first round to see them trade out to friday.

but I dont see the difference picking a guy at 30 or 40. The "draft value" in this late first round area is negligible. If you like a player, take him. If not, take a player you like. People said Richard Seymour was a reach at 6. People said Tyson Alualu was a huge reach at 10. A reach is in the eye of the beholder all that matters is do you like the player.

Trade down is definitely what they want to do this year. Jets fans don't be surprised if you sit through the whole first round to see them trade out to friday.

but I dont see the difference picking a guy at 30 or 40. The "draft value" in this late first round area is negligible. If you like a player, take him. If not, take a player you like. People said Richard Seymour was a reach at 6. People said Tyson Alualu was a huge reach at 10. A reach is in the eye of the beholder all that matters is do you like the player.

I do...10 picks would be the difference...that plus whatever you gain from moving from 30 to 40.

Draft value of our late first won't be so negligible if someone else likes a player more than the Jets need what's left.

The way I see it is that most would like to trade down...I'm sure they would have loved to trade down in '08....it take two teams to make that happen...if they don't find another team don't grab a project...someone should be around at 30...hopefully it's one of Heyward/Taylor/Ayers.

I do...10 picks would be the difference...that plus whatever you gain from moving from 30 to 40.

my point is if they like Brooks Reed or Allen Bailey at 40, they should like him at 30 as well

every year we have this same discussion "I want player X, Y or Z and if they aren't there they have to trade down"

it's just not that easy

with the salary cap, 2nd rounders are almost more valuable than 1st rounders. Everyone wants these picks, no one wants to trade them. So yes it would be ideal if they could trade down but if they can't they have to stick and take the player they want 10 slots later.

my point is if they like Brooks Reed or Allen Bailey at 40, they should like him at 30 as well

every year we have this same discussion "I want player X, Y or Z and if they aren't there they have to trade down"

it's just not that easy

with the salary cap, 2nd rounders are almost more valuable than 1st rounders. Everyone wants these picks, no one wants to trade them. So yes it would be ideal if they could trade down but if they can't they have to stick and take the player they want 10 slots later.

If a team in the early part of the 2nd round wants one of the QBs that may fall, why not move back and pick up a 4th or a 5th? The first round talent in this draft seems to be lacking.

All of this draft talk is crazy considering nobody knows what there roster is going to look like.

Wilkerson FTW

If Wilkerson makes it to 30 he's another no brainer pick for the Jets. He's visited and I don't think they'd pass on him. What's great about him is versatility. He can play 3-tech, He can play nose. He can play 5-tech. it's rare to find that kind of skillset and 15 career sacks to boot. He doesn't play great all the time and his level of competition isn't great (alot of sacks came against crap schools like Kent State) but still that's a player they couldn't pass on. He's an ideal Shaun Ellis replacement.

If Wilkerson makes it to 30 he's another no brainer pick for the Jets. He's visited and I don't think they'd pass on him. What's great about him is versatility. He can play 3-tech, He can play nose. He can play 5-tech. it's rare to find that kind of skillset and 15 career sacks to boot. He doesn't play great all the time and his level of competition isn't great (alot of sacks came against crap schools like Kent State) but still that's a player they couldn't pass on. He's an ideal Shaun Ellis replacement.

Wilkerson scares the crap out of me. I think he's a second-rounder because he only plays good against bad teams, but the Jets are way interested. We've even interviewed a number of his teammates, which is another good indicator -- granted, it doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot with a guy like Sanchez or Mangold because obviously those schools churn out plenty of guys worth checking out on their own merit, but then with guys like Revis, we also talked to that linebacker Pitt had coming out that year, we brought in Ryan Mathews last year, etc. I hope somebody takes him on measurables ahead of us and we don't have to worry about it. It's also possible that Wilkerson and Liuget are both counterfeits and we're locked in at OLB.

Hes not even in Rick Gosselins first mock.

Gosselins 3rd mock is pretty spot on barring any trades.

the only gosselin mock that's worth a damn is the one he publishes the day after the huddle report deadline. He's not giving out his real info yet.

Archived