Phil Taylor the Possible.

SenorGato

I've been giving alot of thought to this big mofo.

I've come up with a few reasons I think he'd be an awesome pick at 30:

1: He's huge. I'm a big fan of the Parcells big man theory or w/e it's called, and a 6'4 340 pound DT certainly falls into that category. As you can see from this:

phil-taylor-baylor_display_image.jpg?1301336236

You're not going to find many guys who hold 340 pounds better.

2: He's athletic as heck. A couple have talked about how Christian Ballard moves so well for his size. On tape, Taylor, as a 330+ pound man, moves his feet like he weighs 180 pounds.

3: He's an active big man. I don't have any major problems with his motor.

4: He put in work this year and really improved his game. It was harder to single block him, he used his hands more, and obviously he got into significantly better shape. He was a major presence against the run in the regular season too...and they kept him on the field for passing downs, though in college this is way more likely to happen.

5: When he moved to Baylor he got close with his coaches. Very shrewd move by a kid who needed to surround himself with people who really wanted to see him do well.

Issues with him:

1: He got single blocked and handled more often than anyone would probably like. Part of me is not worried about this, because I feel like it's a common knock amongst big men. I also saw improvement this year against a single blocker, and the Senior Bowl stuff raved about his ability to hold his ground. That said, he did get single blocked more often than I'm sure many/most would feel a guy with his size should.

2: Can you name a top player from Baylor? I know Birk the C for the Ravens is one, but two?

3: His past. The Penn State stuff probably comes up.

4: Playing strength is still not to it's max potential. This...this depends completely on how much you care about something like that...he's a college kid...I wouldn't expect his strength to be where it will be.

So yeah...I believe he's one of those guys who's passed the whole evaluation process and has made himself a legitimate first round guy. He's actually one of the 3-4 guys I'd really love to grab at 30. What're the board thoughts on this guy a week before the draft? Anyone else think he's a guy who's done enough work to be taken seriously in the first, or do you still think the questions loom too large?

Matt Birk went to Harvard. There seriously are no good Baylor bears in the NFL.

I've heard if they were totally screwed they like Kenrick Ellis better than Phil Taylor. Take it fwiw.

Taylor... this is the one name that would drive me crazy. He doesn't pass rush and he isn't better than Pouha. Don't tell me about 32 year old being old for NT cause they can play forever.

Matt Birk went to Harvard. There seriously are no good Baylor bears in the NFL.

I've heard if they were totally screwed they like Kenrick Ellis better than Phil Taylor. Take it fwiw.

Taylor... this is the one name that would drive me crazy. He doesn't pass rush and he isn't better than Pouha. Don't tell me about 32 year old being old for NT cause they can play forever.

Subtract age then...

He's bigger than Pouha, faster than Pouha, more athletic than Pouha...possibly more versatile than Pouha...he's been through less injuries than Pouha...and again...didn't even touch that Taylor is a decade younger.

I hope they like Ellis too.

You are right though...Birk went to Harvard...Gary Baxter and Mike Singletary stand out from Baylor...Baxter's career being one that was ruined by injury.

Archived