Manish Mehta: Ten Things I Learned at Jets West Camp

flgreen

Ten Things I learned at Jets West camp in Southern California

BY Manish Mehta

Photos and videos of the Jets West passing camp are available on www.facebook.com/OfficialMarkSanchez

10. The Sanchez family, including Mark’s father, Nick Sr. and brothers Nick and Brandon, deserve plenty of credit for helping pull off the week-long operation. From securing sponsorships to printing up playbooks for the players, the people that don’t wear No. 6 for the Jets were also instrumental in this de facto OTA for the Jets. They had every detail covered. Special thanks to Nick Sr., who could see that I didn’t properly prepare myself for the elements: No sunscreen. So he passed along some SPF 30 to help fight those harmful UV rays.

9. Jets fans are going to love fifth-round pick Jeremy Kerley. Upon first glance, the diminutive Kerley looks like a high school kid that skipped biology lab to be out there with the big boys, but he’s quick. Real quick. I was extremely impressed with his route running. Great change of direction. Sure, he’s running patterns against air, but I like his potential. I’ve maintained that Kerley will fill part of the role that Brad Smith occupied if/when Smith signs elsewhere. Kerley’s versatility as a slot receiver and wildcat option -- he threw a TD to Andy Dalton at TCU out of the Wildcat -- will be a nice addition to the offense.

8. Speaking of Brad Smith, I believe he’s going to sign elsewhere for a more lucrative contract for a team that will give him more playing time. Make no mistake: Rex Ryan & Co. absolutely love what Smith brings to the table, but I’d be surprised if another team (s) doesn’t give him 1) more money than the Jets, and 2) a larger role in the offense. Smith has never complained about his playing time during his career, but it was obvious to me this week that he wants more PT. He’ll surely get that opportunity with another team.

7. Rex Ryan has been working overtime on his book tour this week, but I guarantee that he heard about Joe McKnight’s reaction to the Jets’ decision to draft Louisville RB Bilal Powell in the fourth round. And I guarantee that Ryan was smiling ear-to-ear. “I was pissed and motivated,” McKnight said. “It’s more fuel to the fire.” It’s that fire that Ryan tried to get out of McKnight last season. It looks like Powell’s presence will ignite a pretty healthy competition in the backfield.

6. The Terminator has very good hands. Fullback John Conner’s bone-crunching blocks may be his forte, but he can catch the football too. He looked smooth receiving passes from the four quarterbacks this week. Don’t be surprised if Conner, the starting fullback from Day One, gets a few carries and even catches passes in this offense. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer loves keeping teams off balance with his ever-changing personnel groupings. Conner’s versatility is just another piece to that puzzle.

5. Mark Brunell has been a bigger influence on Mark Sanchez than probably any of us truly know. Brian Schottenheimer knew exactly what he was doing by recommending that the Jets sign Brunell to mentor Sanchez. Schottenheimer consulted Drew Brees, who reaped the benefits of Brunell’s mentorship during the Saints’ Super Bowl season two years ago, before bringing him aboard. I noticed subtle things this week that make me believe that it was absolutely the right choice to sign Brunell last year and bring him back again.

4. Dustin Keller has bulked up to 255 pounds of muscle. (He finished last season at 247 pounds).

3. LaDainian Tomlinson’s work ethic is sick. After Tuesday’s passing drills, most of the players found some shade to cool down. Tomlinson? He was still baking under the sun working with trainer Todd Norman, ripping off countless crunches. Tomlinson’s presence at this camp speaks volumes. He’s a former league MVP. He’ll go down as the best running back of this generation. He’s a future first-ballot Hall of Famer. Yet he decided to attend Jets West anyway. He’s also embraced the idea of trying to become "the best third-down back in the league.” In the twilight of his career, Tomlinson can still be a valuable pass-catching threat out of the backfield for Sanchez. That’ll be his niche in 2011.

2. Braylon Edwards is willing to give the Jets a discount. Edwards, who is an unrestricted free agent no matter which rules are in place after the lockout, made it clear that he wants to continue what he’s started with the Jets. He’s even willing to give Gang Green somewhat of a financial break as long as the Jets' offer is comparable to what other teams are willing to give. If the 2010 rules return, Edwards will command huge dollars as the No. 1 receiver on the free agent market. Edwards admitted that both Santonio Holmes, who appears to be the Jets’ top priority, and he have to “give a little” if they both want to stay with the Jets. Both players would have to make financial concessions to stay. Holmes has already stated that he won’t play for the Jets’ one-year restricted free agent tender if the 2010 rules return.

1. Mark Sanchez’s growth and maturation as the unquestioned leader of the offense during the past two years has been remarkable. It wasn’t long ago when he was sitting on a Gatorade cooler on the sidelines with a lost look in his eyes after a six-turnover nightmare against the Bills early in his rookie season. Now, he’s running a de facto OTA without coaches, holding meetings, breaking down film and taking command of the team during the labor impasse. “In meetings, he even sounds like a coach,” Tomlinson said. Braylon Edwards thinks that Sanchez is ready to “break that barrier” into the league’s elite. He believes in Sanchez so much that he’s willing to play for a little less to stay with the Jets. When I walked into the NFL Network studios Wednesday to do a spot on Jets West, one of the producers summed up the evolution of Sanchez’s leadership the best. “I can’t believe he put this all together,” the producer said, shaking his head. “He’s come a long way in a short time.”

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Jets Twit

a Blog by Erik Manassy

Jets West Camp Day 3: Braylon Edwards Arrives

Watch

by Erik Manassy on May 5, 2011 · View Comments

in Video

5retweet

On day 3 of Jets West Camp, Mark Sanchez gave away a nice gift to a fellow teammate, the players worked out as usual and they enjoyed a lunch by In-N-Out Burger.

“Watch” Who Wins

Sanchez gave a Meister watch to the winner of a skills competition where the players had to throw a spiral (or just get the ball) into the upper left portion of the net.

So we have a competition every day at the end of the workout to see who has “skills.” Today the campers (except for QBs) had a target contest. They all had a chance to throw the football into the top left square of the target. The prize for the winner was a Meister watch. Check out the photo gallery for photos of the attempts and winner.

Logan Payne won the watch but Mark said this on his Facebook page:

“There was controversy regarding Logan’s winning throw. You can see in the pics that both Braylon and Patrick Turner questioned whether Logan stepped over the line during his throw. LT, the replay official, said the throw stands and Logan took home the Meister”

Braylon Shows up To Camp

Braylon Edwards joined the camp on the third day. Unlike Santonio Holmes who isn’t going to show at all, and both being unsigned at this point, Edwards did the right thing by showing the Jets brass that he is going to want to stay with Gang Green. He even said he is willing to take a reasonable pay cut to stay!!

I like Manish a lot. He works hard. But I really question his knowledge of the game at times. Sure he is dopey (believing Mangold on Twitter when Mangold acted like he didn't know his bonus was impacted by the lockout).

But this one gets me...

Mark Brunell has been a bigger influence on Mark Sanchez than probably any of us truly know. Brian Schottenheimer knew exactly what he was doing by recommending that the Jets sign Brunell to mentor Sanchez. Schottenheimer consulted Drew Brees, who reaped the benefits of Brunell’s mentorship during the Saints’ Super Bowl season two years ago, before bringing him aboard. I noticed subtle things this week that make me believe that it was absolutely the right choice to sign Brunell last year and bring him back again.

I noticed subtle things? Well how about listing them. Footwork? Throwing motion? What?

Manish is accessible, he understands the technology and is doing a good job. I wonder how deep his football knowledge goes.

Nice insight into whats going on in the JETS West camp.

So on one end you have Mark Sanchez leading the off season workouts on offense.

And on the other hand i read that the JETS brought in Tom Moore in a consulting position for a few days ( it was a blurb in an article on Star Ledger).

With all that help can this job become any more cushier for Schotty ?

I like Manish a lot. He works hard. But I really question his knowledge of the game at times. Sure he is dopey (believing Mangold on Twitter when Mangold acted like he didn't know his bonus was impacted by the lockout).

But this one gets me...

I noticed subtle things? Well how about listing them. Footwork? Throwing motion? What?

I thought the exact same thing. I need to join twitter to tweet this guy and ask him to expound on that point.

3. LaDainian Tomlinson’s work ethic is sick. After Tuesday’s passing drills, most of the players found some shade to cool down. Tomlinson? He was still baking under the sun working with trainer Todd Norman, ripping off countless crunches. Tomlinson’s presence at this camp speaks volumes. He’s a former league MVP. He’ll go down as the best running back of this generation. He’s a future first-ballot Hall of Famer. Yet he decided to attend Jets West anyway. He’s also embraced the idea of trying to become "the best third-down back in the league.” In the twilight of his career, Tomlinson can still be a valuable pass-catching threat out of the backfield for Sanchez. That’ll be his niche in 2011.

I love this. The guy's at the end of his career but he's showing that he can still bust his a$$ and go above and beyond. He's a great leader and motivator. His pre-game speeches almost make me want to jump into the game and play myself!! I couldn't think of a better mentor for Greene and Joe McKnight.

Archived