Labor News

Jetfan13

NFL source: Labor negotiations 80-85 percent complete ------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com, one source with intimate knowledge of the discussions tells me negotiations are 80-85 percent complete. They've made such fast progress, I'm told, it's catching many of the principals by surprise. Some are now canceling vacations, believing an agreement will be reached within a matter of days.

Basically, it seems, we continue to move solidly into that threshold of a season will be played, not if one will be played. Again, barring the knucklehead factor.

"It's going to be very difficult for this to get screwed up," the source said.

No one will go into specifics about what concessions are being made. What is being said is that both owners and players are making major ones and that has greased the CBA skids.

"I think all the players want to do is get back on the field," Minnesota Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe told me. "I think owners have a vested interest in getting this done as well."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Report: Lawyers involved in this weeks negotiations------------------------------------------------------------

After taking off past two rounds of talks in Chicago and on Long Island, the lawyers back involved in the meetings between the owners and players according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

We are guessing this is a good sign and some progress has been made. The lawyers need to be there to draft the wording of a new CBA.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Report: New CBA could be reached in 2-3 weeks ----------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports the NFL and locked out players have made enough progress in their recent negotiations that a deal between the two sides is within reach during the next two or three weeks, people on both sides of the dispute said Tuesday.

Owners of the 32 teams, scheduled to attend a meeting in Chicago Tuesday, have been told to leave their schedules open in case the session runs late that night or spills over into the following day, said several people who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deliberations are at a sensitive stage.

It is possible--but very unlikely--that the owners could vote on a labor deal at that meeting, said several of the people, who did not participate in the talks but are familiar with developments. It is more likely, they said, that owners could give negotiators their opinions and a deal with the players could be completed the following week.

A deal that week, just before the July 4 holiday, appears increasingly realistic, said people on both sides of the dispute.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Just a point of curiosity-did the players get paid yet? They were supposed to sometime in June.

Reason I'm asking is that whether the players got paid or not might well have had an effect on these negotiations finally getting somewhere.

From what I read, July 15 is the key date. That's the last day to have everything done so there is a full training camp, preseaon & season.

Hopefully this gets wrapped up by Fourth of July Weekend and then we'll have a crazy FA period.

Just a point of curiosity-did the players get paid yet? They were supposed to sometime in June.

Reason I'm asking is that whether the players got paid or not might well have had an effect on these negotiations finally getting somewhere.

IIRC, players don't get paid in June as part of their salaries. They get their first check the week of the 1st week of the season and then get weekly checks thereafter.

Certain players have bonuses and other related payments due anytime in March, April, May or June, and those, of course, have not been paid. Players also get paid for training camp, but that is a set amount outside of their regular salaries.

No, some are getting pay day loans at high interest.

The first payment might be due soon though, so youre right, time is of the essence.

From what I read, July 15 is the key date. That's the last day to have everything done so there is a full training camp, preseaon & season.

Hopefully this gets wrapped up by Fourth of July Weekend and then we'll have a crazy FA period.

That would be ideal getting back to work after the holiday.

No, some are getting pay day loans at high interest.

The first payment might be due soon though, so youre right, time is of the essence.

Well aware of the loan shark loans, though how many have them is open to question.

There was some decision to be handed down about the players getting paid even if there isn't a season, and I was just wondering if that had happened yet. I would assume it would have an effect on the bargaining process.

Needless to say, I'm a lot more interested in a deal being reached than I am on which side got the better of it, but I am just a little curious about that pay thing.

Well aware of the loan shark loans, though how many have them is open to question.

There was some decision to be handed down about the players getting paid even if there isn't a season, and I was just wondering if that had happened yet. I would assume it would have an effect on the bargaining process.

Needless to say, I'm a lot more interested in a deal being reached than I am on which side got the better of it, but I am just a little curious about that pay thing.

Im pretty sure even if there was a ruling from Minneapolis the owners could appeal in St Louis.

Archived