Incredibly bored and waiting for the season to begin: Let's talk Ihedigbo

GhostOfGlennFoley

I'm not quite sure if the man has done enough to warrant a highlight video, but I approve nonetheless.

So anyways, what are your thoughts on Mr. Ihedigbo? He's a free agent, and I for one would hate to see him go. Granted the guy is kinda lackluster in pass coverage, but he is an exceptional blitzer from the safety position and pretty decent in run support. Plus, he brings a sh*t-TON of intensity towards the team, and he always seems to be the one that's congratulating teammates or trying to pump the crowd up.

Thoughts are probably the same as the thoughts for a lot of our FA's. Depends on the price.

I want them to bring Brad Smith back, but I don't want them to bring him back if it requires paying him as if he was an above-average every-down player. Let's call it the Leon Washington Postulate.

So to answer your question, for me, if he can be re-signed near the league minimum.

It's a bind with a player like igedigbo. He's an extremely limited veteran player with no upside, but is pretty good at the few things he does. Do you give him a roster spot, possibly at the expense of bringing in a young UDFA that could give you more down the road? Or do you stick with the known quantity, even if that quantity is just eh? At the end of the day, they're probably keeping him because there's so few other options floating around anywhere, either on the roster or off.

It's a bind with a player like igedigbo. He's an extremely limited veteran player with no upside, but is pretty good at the few things he does. Do you give him a roster spot, possibly at the expense of bringing in a young UDFA that could give you more down the road? Or do you stick with the known quantity, even if that quantity is just eh? At the end of the day, they're probably keeping him because there's so few other options floating around anywhere, either on the roster or off.

I kind of agree, but at the same time every role player on the team can't be a rookie working his way up. There are places on teams for limited-upside players who know the game.

You do get something for your money re-signing a veteran with limited upside. You also get a player with limited downside. No, he's not going to be Ed Reed. He's also not going to be Derrick Strait with his version of "upside," or someone else similarly unworthy of a team-issued jockstrap.

I kind of agree, but at the same time every role player on the team can't be a rookie working his way up. There are places on teams for limited-upside players who know the game.

You do get something for your money re-signing a veteran with limited upside. You also get a player with limited downside. No, he's not going to be Ed Reed. He's also not going to be Derrick Strait with his version of "upside," or someone else similarly unworthy of a team-issued jockstrap.

Word. Derrick Strait broke my heart.

He found a nice niche for himself in the defense. That being said, he's gone tomorrow if they find a real safety and not a linebacker trapped in a safety's body.

I would agree with this if it weren't for the fact that the Jets need about 3 news safeties, which probably isn't going to happen, so even if they find just a couple there still may be a place for him. Hell, if you ask me I'd keep Digs over Eric Smith. He may only be good at one or two things, but that's one or two more than Smith.

I would agree with this if it weren't for the fact that the Jets need about 3 news safeties, which probably isn't going to happen, so even if they find just a couple there still may be a place for him. Hell, if you ask me I'd keep Digs over Eric Smith. He may only be good at one or two things, but that's one or two more than Smith.

You mean you don't enjoy him tripping over his own shadow?

One of the images that stuck with me after the previous season was from the divisional playoff game. The two players that carried Dennis Byrd's jersey onto the field were LT (star running back, former MVP, one of the bigger "celebrity" players) and Ihedigbo (backup safety, special teams player). It's obvious that the man has nothing but love for this organization, and his intensity on the field reflects that. Is that something that makes him more valuable to the team?

Plus, his name is phonetically pleasing to say.

Archived