Worst case scenario

AFJF

Let's say we lose Holmes, Braylon, and Cromartie. Has anyone found anything talking about how the new CBA will impact compensatory picks? I think for each of those three, the Jets should expect at least a 4th rounder if not a couple of 3rd round picks.

Let's say we lose Holmes, Braylon, and Cromartie. Has anyone found anything talking about how the new CBA will impact compensatory picks? I think for each of those three, the Jets should expect at least a 4th rounder if not a couple of 3rd round picks.

I think the mid-first rounder we pick up as a result of that scenario taking place will soften the blow

That's actually a very good question. It would seem that we're about to lose at least some of our FA this year. In the olden days :) that would mean we get some picks. These are serious players too so that improves the picks if I remember correctly.

Hypothetically... Lets say we lose cro and sign Aso. Does that affect the compensatory pick if we sign someone of equal or greater value to replace the FA we lose?

I think the mid-first rounder we pick up as a result of that scenario taking place will soften the blow

They'd still have an elite defense and would sign other WR's to step in with a run heavy offense. They'd still be a team built to win in the post season.

That's actually a very good question. It would seem that we're about to lose at least some of our FA this year. In the olden days :) that would mean we get some picks. These are serious players too so that improves the picks if I remember correctly.

Hypothetically... Lets say we lose cro and sign Aso. Does that affect the compensatory pick if we sign someone of equal or greater value to replace the FA we lose?

If we lose Cro and sign Aso in theory we get no compensatory picks. But while Aso's status means he behaves the same as a UFA in terms of his ability to sign with anyone, with no compensation due to his prior team, he's not a "true" UFA because his FA status is the result of getting cut by the Raiders rather than due to his contract expiring.

If Aso's contract had simply expired and we signed him then the acquisition of Aso cancels out the loss of Cro and the net is zero. The idea behind one canceling another out for compensatory picks is based on us "stealing" (as fans would put it) another team's UFA and this cancels out another team "stealing" one of ours. But if the Raiders cut him I don't know that this applies. I'm not certain of how his contract with Oakland was structured. If they merely declined to exercise an option for Aso for the 2011 season then he may be looked at as a player the Raiders "lost" to free agency.

Related to that is one positive, of sorts, with having this many contracts expiring is that any low-level UFA's we sign will cancel out one of the many lower-level UFA's we lost rather than canceling out a Cromartie or Edwards or Holmes so we only get a 7th-round comp pick instead of a 3rd-round comp pick. We had that happen the season we lost Jordan and McKenzie to free agency. We only got one compensatory pick instead of two because Bradway decided he needed some other scrub (I think it was Derrick Blaylock) so badly he was willing to pass up a sure 3rd-4th round compensatory pick in the following year's draft. So signing a backup-type UFA will cancel out the loss of Clemens instead of canceling out the loss of Cromartie.

Archived