If # 3 WR is our biggest issue this season

Jetsfan80

Derrick Mason has not yet been signed according to the news sources he has other offers on the table.

Let's go back to basics. Take a look at my question and the statement it is led off with.

If Derrick Mason is landed. Please elaborate on this point.

It's not speaking in definitives. I am asking how you would feel about this hypothetical situation that could happen. The Jets are clearly attempting to get him so I want to know how you feel about this since you're saying I'm a crazy person who has problems.

If Holmes or Plax goes down we are screwed. Thats where a guy like JCo was good to have around. We are thin at WR I saw it today at camp.

Derrick Mason clearly wants to be a #1 or #2 and wants the money as one. Im not a big Mason fan.

Derrick Mason would be our #3. If he is our #3 I don't see a reason for concern. If Holmes or Plax goes down is pointless. Not many teams are STACKED with WR that they're going to be able to have above average guys to slip in and replace the person that went down. You could go deeper into the subject but it's really quite simple when you think about it.

What you're failing to see, and I'm sure you don't care as you're harping on the WR is that it is on Sanchez at that point to make it work with his receivers. Many other QB's in the league do it.

If Holmes or Plax goes down we are screwed. Thats where a guy like JCo was good to have around. We are thin at WR I saw it today at camp.

Derrick Mason clearly wants to be a #1 or #2 and wants the money as one. Im not a big Mason fan.

J Co didn't want to be here anymore if thats all he was going to be. We did right by a player who has been a trooper for us his entire career.

Derrick Mason would be our #3. If he is our #3 I don't see a reason for concern. If Holmes or Plax goes down is pointless. Not many teams are STACKED with WR that they're going to be able to have above average guys to slip in and replace the person that went down. You could go deeper into the subject but it's really quite simple when you think about it.

What you're failing to see, and I'm sure you don't care as you're harping on the WR is that it is on Sanchez at that point to make it work with his receivers. Many other QB's in the league do it.

Agreed. I just felt this team was stronger with Edwards-Holmes-JCo-Smith. Smith wasnt used much as WR but he played the position well and gave us options.

It doesnt seem the Braylon exit was a money thing, he signed for $500k more than the NYJETS offered. JCo I believe only asked for a release when Mason was mentioned I think I could be wrong. I saw the WR corps today, #3 Smith is tall others are very short.

I hope Sanchez can adjust I would just like to see him get some continuity going with familiar faces, maybe im being selfish.

Agreed. I just felt this team was stronger with Edwards-Holmes-JCo-Smith. Smith wasnt used much as WR but he played the position well and gave us options.

It doesnt seem the Braylon exit was a money thing, he signed for $500k more than the NYJETS offered. JCo I believe only asked for a release when Mason was mentioned I think I could be wrong. I saw the WR corps today, #3 Smith is tall others are very short.

I hope Sanchez can adjust I would just like to see him get some continuity going with familiar faces, maybe im being selfish.

Reports were that JCo first asked for his release back in February, so it would have had nothing to do with Mason. As far as the WR corps, Smith isn't even worth including in the comparison. His contributions could easily be offset by anything as simple as an UDFA. The guy simply never was able to put it together at the WR position, and had 4 catches on the entire year. Hell, that's only 2 more than Patrick Turner had from a spot further down on the depth chart for only part of the season. That doesn't mean he didn't contribute plenty to the team in other ways, but in terms of WRs his subtraction is a negligible difference to this team.

Reports were that JCo first asked for his release back in February, so it would have had nothing to do with Mason. As far as the WR corps, Smith isn't even worth including in the comparison. His contributions could easily be offset by anything as simple as an UDFA. The guy simply never was able to put it together at the WR position, and had 4 catches on the entire year. Hell, that's only 2 more than Patrick Turner had from a spot further down on the depth chart for only part of the season. That doesn't mean he didn't contribute plenty to the team in other ways, but in terms of WRs his subtraction is a negligible difference to this team.

I disagree, Smith lined up as the 4th WR last season he was a viable option in the offense when needed. So far he has been replaced by who? I hope one of the rookies steps up.

I disagree, Smith lined up as the 4th WR last season he was a viable option in the offense when needed. So far he has been replaced by who? I hope one of the rookies steps up.

He hardly ever lined up as the 4th WR. He lined up as a RB who starts out lined up like a WR. As a WR he caught 4 passes for 44 yards. There are #6 WRs and #3 TEs that catch more passes and accumulate more yards than that. His official position was technically WR but any Jets fan knows that was at best his 3rd position on the Jets after KR and option QB.

If one of the rookies only triples his production as a receiver they're still flops.

Smith had 4 catches all last year. That's one catch for every 4 games he played. Personally, I just don't think that constitutes a "viable option". I have no doubt in my mind that Kerley will easily surpass that number. If Kerley ends up being the #3, I see no reason that not any one of McKnight, Turner, Payne, etc couldn't easily match that production as #4. Hell, Turner had 2 catches in 5 games last year, which is actually a better rate of production at WR than Smith already.

I don't see how this is even being discussed. Smith was terrible as a WR. This is a flat-out fact. Every single measurable statistic, conventional and efficient, backs this up. He couldn't create separation for himself if his life depended on it. Watching him cut on and break off his routes was downright painful. Seeing him struggle with it so heavily any time he lined up from even a mediocre DB made me appreciate the ease at which Santonio does it that much more on elite guys. He had 4 receptions total last year. 4. Quatro. You really need look no further than that number. If he was good at anything other than finding seams with blockers 10 yards up the field and was able to do what he did on KR's on general offensive plays, you better believe the Jets would have been getting the ball in his hands a lot more.

Loved the guy. Great kick returner, maybe the best gunner in the league, and probably one of the best option QB's ever to periodically play at the pro level, but as a WR he was just awful and not even a remote threat. Any claim otherwise is revisionist and a blatant lie. No number or piece of game film will ever back that claim up.

What's a DVOA

/current state of JN.

Excellent post dude, couldn't have said it better myself. Brad Smith was pretty much an epic disaster at WR and really didn't blossom until Leon left and we started running the wildcat. If the argument was being made that those aspects are going to suffer but to lament that our WR depth took a major hit is revisionist history at its best.

Archived