Cimini: Moore to give Jets' offense a boost

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6851399/tom-moore-bringing-50-plus-years-nfl-experience-new-york-jets-season

Moore to give Jets' offense a boost

Gang Green is hoping the 72-year-old's passion will help improve the team's production

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

August 10, 2011, 9:07 PM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Tom Moore is old-school. No, wait, change that: He helped build the school.

This is Moore's 36th training camp, which means he got started in pro coaching when New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was 1.

Moore, 72, has been around the game so long that he played one-platoon football at Iowa in the 1950s and served as an assistant coach on Pittsburgh's legendary "Steel Curtain" teams in the 1970s.

The man has spent a half-century coaching offense (think about that for a second), and now he works for the Jets, patrolling the practice field every day with his calf-high athletic socks, tip-of-the-nose glasses and encyclopedic knowledge of X's and O's.

Around the Jets, Moore is the Godfather of O.

Moore, hired as a consultant after a successful, 13-year run with Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts, will work from his home in Hilton Head, S.C., once the regular season begins. But now he's with the team in training camp, attending meetings, observing practices and assisting Schottenheimer and his staff.

"That fired me up because I want to stay involved in football," Moore said of the Jets' job offer. "Someone once told me a long time ago, 'More people are rushed out than wear out.' I don't want to be rushed out."

The Jets decided to hire Moore in the spring, when he was invited by Rex Ryan to be a guest lecturer for the Jets' coaches during the lockout. Initially, they wanted to pick his brain on red zone offense (the Jets finished 28th last season), but they realized he could be a valuable resource beyond a couple of chalk talk sessions.

Naturally, it fueled speculation that Ryan isn't happy with Schottenheimer, that he wanted someone to look over his coordinator's shoulder. Schottenheimer said he has no problem with the arrangement, adding that he and Ryan discussed it beforehand. A "no-brainer," he called the hiring of Moore.

"He's definitely just a huge, huge bonus for me," Schottenheimer said. "Just to have guys like Tom to bounce ideas off of, to kind of brainstorm with, has been great. ... It's going to be a great relationship, he's a great sounding board."

During the season, Moore will be an advance scout of sorts, breaking down opponents two weeks ahead of the game and submitting his ideas and suggestions to Schottenheimer.

Tom Moore was the mastermind behind Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts' offense since 1998.

In training camp, Moore is in the middle of everything, occasionally offering one-on-one instruction. On Monday, he worked with Mark Sanchez in the red zone, watching closely as Sanchez practiced his footwork on play-action passes. He struggled inside the 20 last season, completing only 48 percent of his attempts.

"He's special," Moore said of the third-year quarterback. "The sky's the limit for him." Moore broke into the league when Joe Namath still was playing, which should tell you something about the depth of his résumé. He won two Super Bowl rings with the Steelers as the position coach for Hall of Fame receivers Lynn Swann and John Stallworth.

He has gone from Swann and Stallworth to Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne to Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress. But perhaps the player on the team most excited by Moore's arrival is tight end Dustin Keller.

Keller grew up in Indiana and attended Purdue, allowing him to closely follow the Colts' offense -- specifically, the way in which they deployed Dallas Clark, their prolific tight end.

Keller studied Clark on tape, marveling at how the Colts moved him around the formation to create mismatches.

"Obviously, he's the mastermind behind all that," Keller said of Moore, sounding almost giddy from Moore's presence.

Moore has spent time with Keller at practice, teaching him ways to get open. For instance: On "hot" routes, he told Keller to keep his eyes to the inside while "feeling" the defender to the outside. Keller will be a key for the Jets. With so much upheaval at wide receiver, Sanchez may have to lean on his tight end more than usual.

Because of the Jets-Colts rivalry, heightened by the last two postseason meetings, Keller assumed there was no way the Jets would be able to lure Moore. But strange things happen in the musical-chairs world of the NFL. Moore apparently felt pushed out by the Colts and wasn't ready to retire.

Moore already has studied every Jets game from last season, but he declined to comment on specific areas that need improvement. He prefers to look forward, savoring a new challenge.

"This means everything," he said of coaching. "I've lived a dream. You take a kid's game and make a living out of it."

More than a living -- a life.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

Just some of the things I took away from the interview. He's already in love with Mark Sanchez. We drafted a winner boys.

On Monday, he worked with Mark Sanchez in the red zone, watching closely as Sanchez practiced his footwork on play-action passes. "He's special," Moore said of the third-year quarterback. "The sky's the limit for him."

"He's definitely just a huge, huge bonus for me," Schottenheimer said. "Just to have guys like Tom to bounce ideas off of, to kind of brainstorm with, has been great. ... It's going to be a great relationship, he's a great sounding board."

During the season, Moore will be an advance scout of sorts, breaking down opponents two weeks ahead of the game and submitting his ideas and suggestions to Schottenheimer. Moore already has studied every Jets game from last season, but he declined to comment on specific areas that need improvement. He prefers to look forward, savoring a new challenge.

He has gone from Swann and Stallworth to Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne to Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress. But perhaps the player on the team most excited by Moore's arrival is tight end Dustin Keller. Keller grew up in Indiana and attended Purdue, allowing him to closely follow the Colts' offense -- specifically, the way in which they deployed Dallas Clark, their prolific tight end. Keller studied Clark on tape, marveling at how the Colts moved him around the formation to create mismatches. "Obviously, he's the mastermind behind all that," Keller said of Moore, sounding almost giddy from Moore's presence. Moore has spent time with Keller at practice, teaching him ways to get open. For instance: On "hot" routes, he told Keller to keep his eyes to the inside while "feeling" the defender to the outside. Keller will be a key for the Jets. With so much upheaval at wide receiver, Sanchez may have to lean on his tight end more than usual.

Sanchez gets to learn from an offensive guru who helped mold Peyton Manning what he is today. "Two pass plays and a run". Sanchez is going to learn a lot from Moore. Shotty Jr seems to be embracing the once in a lifetime opportunity to learn from a man who's been around the game for 50+ years. It's insane to read that he's already studied every game from last season. Thats special. Expect Dustin Keller to have a monster season. A TE should always become a young QB's best friend. That hasn't been the case thus far. I'm pretty sure Moore will STRESS to Shotty Jr that we must get Keller involved early and often. Dallas Clark ability.

Just some of the things I took away from the interview. He's already in love with Mark Sanchez. We drafted a winner boys.

Sanchez gets to learn from an offensive guru who helped mold Peyton Manning what he is today. "Two pass plays and a run". Sanchez is going to learn a lot from Moore. Shotty Jr seems to be embracing the once in a lifetime opportunity to learn from a man who's been around the game for 50+ years. It's insane to read that he's already studied every game from last season. Thats special. Expect Dustin Keller to have a monster season. A TE should always become a young QB's best friend. That hasn't been the case thus far. I'm pretty sure Moore will STRESS to Shotty Jr that we must get Keller involved early and often. Dallas Clark ability.

Well part of the problem is, outside of Schitty's awful play calling, Dustin Keller really does himself no favors in terms of going for the ball. I think only one time last year did I say Keller make a real, honest effort to fight for a ball. Usually he looks so complacent and if the defender isn't off of him and the ball perfectly delivered he won't make one step to adjust to the ball. It's really just mind boggling.

Well part of the problem is, outside of Schitty's awful play calling, Dustin Keller really does himself no favors in terms of going for the ball. I think only one time last year did I say Keller make a real, honest effort to fight for a ball. Usually he looks so complacent and if the defender isn't off of him and the ball perfectly delivered he won't make one step to adjust to the ball. It's really just mind boggling.

You only seen Keller fight for the ball "one time" last season? Funny. Maybe you should go back and watch more film footage.

Not every player can be HOF material. Dustin Keller is a fine young player. We're lucky to have this kid on our roster and I'm pretty sure Rex, Moore, Shotty Jr and Sanchez would all agree.

Before harping all over Keller, treating him as some type of career JAG, how about you find me a Jets TE over the past 15 years who's been more productive as a pass catching TE than what Keller has been for us over the past 3 seasons? I'll be waiting. 162 receptions, 1,865 receiving yards and 10 TD's. Match it.

He's only been in the league for 3 years, two of these years have been with Sanchez (Rookie and 2nd year QB) on an offense that's ran the ball more than any other team in the league over the past two seasons. Keller already ranks 28th all-time in catches for the Jets with 148. He'll crack the Jets top 10 before we know it. Keller only needs 97 catches before he passes Rich Caster for 10th all-time in receptions.

Coles ranks 5th all-time in receptions made as a Jet behind only Maynard, Walker, Chrebet and Toon, and after 3 years in the league... Coles averaged 56.66 catches per season. Keller currently averages 54 catches per season, on an offense that has passes fewer times than any other team over the past two years. Dustin Keller gets so much hate by the hands of our very own fan base that it's pathetic. Some just don't see the quality we have in Keller, who's a fine young (up and coming) pass catching TE.

This is a real win win situation for the Jets. The great thing is apparently Schotty is looking at it like a learning experience.

What is he 37?

Another great factor of this is if we face Indy in the playoffs again, we have a guy who can get in Mannings head.

Great move hiring him

You only seen Keller fight for the ball "one time" last season? Funny. Maybe you should go back and watch more film footage.

Not every player can be HOF material. Dustin Keller is a fine young player. We're lucky to have this kid on our roster and I'm pretty sure Rex, Moore, Shotty Jr and Sanchez would all agree.

Before harping all over Keller, treating him as some type of career JAG, how about you find me a Jets TE over the past 15 years who's been more productive as a pass catching TE than what Keller has been for us over the past 3 seasons? I'll be waiting. 162 receptions, 1,865 receiving yards and 10 TD's. Match it.

He's only been in the league for 3 years, two of these years have been with Sanchez (Rookie and 2nd year QB) on an offense that's ran the ball more than any other team in the league over the past two seasons. Keller already ranks 28th all-time in catches for the Jets with 148. He'll crack the Jets top 10 before we know it. Keller only needs 97 catches before he passes Rich Caster for 10th all-time in receptions.

Coles ranks 5th all-time in receptions made as a Jet behind only Maynard, Walker, Chrebet and Toon, and after 3 years in the league... Coles averaged 56.66 catches per season. Keller currently averages 54 catches per season, on an offense that has passes fewer times than any other team over the past two years. Dustin Keller gets so much hate by the hands of our very own fan base that it's pathetic. Some just don't see the quality we have in Keller, who's a fine young (up and coming) pass catching TE.

That says more about the crappiness of this franchise. Sanchez is already the best QB in Jets history probably, in terms of overall statistics and playoff wins. If he's not #1 he's definitely only behind Namath.

Don't compare Keller to other Jets TEs, although Johnny Mitchell would have had a great career if it wasn't cut short, compare Keller to current TEs.

Is Keller in the top 10? Nope. Dallas Clark is though. When you start comparing yourself to Dallas Clark you have to be better than Keller is. If this was a player on another team Jets fans would have been all over the guy, but Keller is getting a pass from you right now out of true homerism.

Dustin Keller really does himself no favors in terms of going for the ball. I think only one time last year did I say Keller make a real, honest effort to fight for a ball. Usually he looks so complacent and if the defender isn't off of him and the ball perfectly delivered he won't make one step to adjust to the ball. It's really just mind boggling.

That IS mind boggling, because I remember him fighting for the ball almost every catch he made.

This can't be true. Brian Schottenheimer's offense is simply just to intricate and sophisticated for the players to learn, and they're just too dumb to execute it properly. On top of that there's a smear campaign against Jerricho Cotchery to pay attention to. And the Dolphins are good. And the Jets should trade for Osi, or Desean Jackson, or Willie Beamon. ****. Whatever.

That says more about the crappiness of this franchise. Sanchez is already the best QB in Jets history probably, in terms of overall statistics and playoff wins. If he's not #1 he's definitely only behind Namath.

Don't compare Keller to other Jets TEs, although Johnny Mitchell would have had a great career if it wasn't cut short, compare Keller to current TEs.

Is Keller in the top 10? Nope. Dallas Clark is though. When you start comparing yourself to Dallas Clark you have to be better than Keller is. If this was a player on another team Jets fans would have been all over the guy, but Keller is getting a pass from you right now out of true homerism.

When did he compare himself to Dallas Clark? Saying he is learning the things that make Clark successful from Moore is not Keller comparing himself to Clark.

Saying he aspires to be as vital to the Jets' offense as Clark is to the Colts' is not Keller comparing himself to Clark.

Personally, I want Keller to emulate Clark. If working with Moore lights a fire under Keller and he can produce 85-90% of what Clark does for the Colts I think we'd all be thrilled.

Dude, Manning gave Moore tons of credit for his development. He wasn't simply "along for the ride." That comment is downright ignorant.

lol... where is all his pre manning successes then. gimme a break

lol... where is all his pre manning successes then. gimme a break

Moore made the transition to the majors in 1977 when he joined Chuck Noll's coaching staff at the Pittsburgh Steelers, initially serving as receivers coach. Within three years on the Steelers, Moore earned two Super Bowl rings and in 1983 he was promoted to quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. For eight years, Moore and Tony Dungy, the Colts' head coach from 2002 to 2009, were colleagues on Noll's coaching staff at Pittsburgh.

Leaving the Steelers in 1990, Moore served in senior offensive coaching roles for three teams in eight years, having the most success as offensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions, the team which led the NFL in total offense in 1995 and was the first team in NFL history to have two receivers with over 100 catches in a season (Herman Moore and Brett Perriman).

He wasn't a superstar but its not like he was an awful coach.

I'll also take Peyton Manning's word over yours when it comes to Tom Moore's contribution to the Colts any day of the week. (slaps "kick-me" sign on CTM's back)

He wasn't a superstar but its not like he was an awful coach.

I'll also take Peyton Manning's word over yours when it comes to Tom Moore's contribution to the Colts any day of the week. (slaps "kick-me" sign on CTM's back)

If not for Tom moore, manning would've been ryan leaf.. yah

When did he compare himself to Dallas Clark? Saying he is learning the things that make Clark successful from Moore is not Keller comparing himself to Clark.

Saying he aspires to be as vital to the Jets' offense as Clark is to the Colts' is not Keller comparing himself to Clark.

Personally, I want Keller to emulate Clark. If working with Moore lights a fire under Keller and he can produce 85-90% of what Clark does for the Colts I think we'd all be thrilled.

I was responding to the guy that claims Dustin Keller is the best Jets TE of the last 15 years.

Who was better?

Kyle Brady was a better blocker but not a better receiver. Anthony Becht was meh. Chris Baker was nothing special.

It's not like the bar was all that high.

I wrote that too. Keller needs to be a lot better imo before even mentioning Dallas Clark, in comparison to him or no. I want to see a lot more out of Keller this year than the last few years.

Archived