Depth Chart Lists Lowery as a Safety

TNJet

I like this move. He definately has speed issues but is a great player on the ball, and has ballhawk mentality that will pay off in the backside with deflections from our cb's coming his way and boom, he has a pick. That said he isn't even listed at backup CB. Is he only a backup safety now?

I like this move. He definately has speed issues but is a great player on the ball, and has ballhawk mentality that will pay off in the backside with deflections from our cb's coming his way and boom, he has a pick. That said he isn't even listed at backup CB. Is he only a backup safety now?

Rex said in a presser that Lowery is at safety now, but that the benefit to having him around is that if there are injuries at CB, they can move him back without any issues since he already knows the position in the system.

So it sounds like he'll be pretty much be a full time safety now, while just serving as emergency depth at CB more than anything. With Wilson showing improvement, Strickland being brought back in and Cole apparently moving up the depth chart, there just isn't as big of a need for him at CB as their is safety.

There was really not much left for him to prove at CB. There are so few WRs left that haven't gotten open against him. Time for him to move on. ;)

Safety is a good fit for him though. I am not ready to proclaim him a ball hawk just yet but he does seem to have a knack for it...at least in big spots. Safety it is...

Leonhard, Pool, Smith are all more physical, run support, hitting type safeties. Lowery joins the group as the best safety in coverage - whatever that's worth.

When the Jets go to a dime package, the best six DB's will be on the field. When they play teams (maybe like the Pats) who live and die by the pass, Lowery might see more time in the base (or nickel) defense. It's a good move that gives them more flexibility.

That means that we have the best saftey in the game.

LOOOOOWRY!

the Jets are gonna use alot of DB this year, as usual

as has been noted, Lowery looks like he's been working out. "starting defense place at the table"

if he can keep improving at safety, Dwight Lowery will be the guy deep in centerfield on obvious passing downs. the free safety spot that Kerry Rhodes used to play.

Jim Leonard, Eric Smith & Brodney Pool can be the suicide bombers on 1st,2nd downs, and that's great... they might (try to) cover RB and TE and underneath assignments, but It will be Lowery in deep coverage, and I don't know who else on the roster can do that job.

Archived