76 replies to this topic

#51 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 24,719 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19845/update-on-gm-search

Gamble is thought to be the Jets' frontrunner, but there's no truth to rumors that it's a done deal. It's actually kind of funny because Gamble was in the middle of his interview Saturday when rumors surfaced that he'd been hired.

Korn Ferry, baby.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#52 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

chances of hiring a GM before Tuesday's anticipated Rex Ryan/Woody Johnson news conference remain highly unlikely. The Jets may speed up the search because of the competition for top candidates, but they want to be smart and deliberate.

If the Jets aren't convinced they've found the right man by the end of the first round of interviews, which will be Monday, they could expand the search to include more candidates.

Conventional wisdom would be that taking time and making the right decision is a good thing, with Woody it means we'll probably wind up with Scott Cohen, Joey Clinkscales or Parcell's will sell him on Pioli. Woody thinking too much is never a good thing.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#53 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 24,719 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Conventional wisdom would be that taking time and making the right decision is a good thing, with Woody it means we'll probably wind up with Scott Cohen, Joey Clinkscales or Parcell's will sell him on Pioli. Woody thinking too much is never a good thing.

Either A: They have a handshake with Gamble and are just looking to satisfy the Rooney Rule on Monday or B: Korn/Ferry is trying to manipulate the market with a steady stream of rumors to make it seem as though the Jets job is super-desirable. I'd be a little hesitant to let my #1 choice go out to San Diego and interview, myself, but who knows?
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#54 BleedGreen314

BleedGreen314

Bleacher Creature

• Members
  • 3,682 posts
  • LocationMadison, NJ

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Either A: They have a handshake with Gamble and are just looking to satisfy the Rooney Rule on Monday or B: Korn/Ferry is trying to manipulate the market with a steady stream of rumors to make it seem as though the Jets job is super-desirable. I'd be a little hesitant to let my #1 choice go out to San Diego and interview, myself, but who knows?

Rooney rule is the dumbest rule in sports, after the defensive holding for auto first down despite field position. Lets say they did want Gamble, they have no legal way to seal that and like u said, can now lose him to a competitor.
Idzik!!

#55 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Pretty funny that Woody needed to throw 200k at a guy to tell him to hire the same guy pretty much everyone on this forum could've.

Funny and true

#56 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Transition Player

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Rooney rule is alright and makes sense unlike the Brady Rule where atleast one gay candidate needs to be interviewed!

#57 BleedGreen314

BleedGreen314

Bleacher Creature

• Members
  • 3,682 posts
  • LocationMadison, NJ

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Rooney rule is alright and makes sense unlike the Brady Rule where atleast one gay candidate needs to be interviewed!

On one hand it sucks not being able to sign your preferred candidate.

OTOH, this is the Jets we are talking about, and the forced discipline being imposed on them by having to interview Marc Ross is probably a good thing. He was a major contributor to two championship rosters in the past five years, after all.

However, how insulting must it be to Marc Ross knowing that you are the token black guy. Just another case of political correctness showing to be ill-thought out at best...

Edited by BleedGreen314, 06 January 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Idzik!!

#58 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

OTOH, this is the Jets we are talking about, and the forced discipline being imposed on them by having to interview Marc Ross is probably a good thing. He was a major contributor to two championship rosters in the past five years, after all.

However, how insulting must it be to Marc Ross knowing that you are the token black guy. Just another case of political correctness showing to be ill-thought out at best...

At least it gets some minority candidates facetime with owners and GM's that they wouldn't be able to get otherwise which could always lead to jobs down the road. Whats the alternative?
Tank for Teddy.

#59 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

A football man to run a football team. Finally

#60 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Transition Player

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Most rules and laws are made because people chose not to do the right thing. It may not be perfect but it has helped more non caucasian coaches to be hired and seeing the success some have had i think its added to the game of football.

#61 Matt39

Matt39

damn you're smooth

• Members
  • 20,421 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

fwiw- Francesa was just saying if Gamble were to be hired its basically Rex having Woody's ear on who he wanted...

#62 Ignatius del Sol

Ignatius del Sol

Practice Squad Player

• Banned
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

fwiw- Francesa was just saying if Gamble were to be hired its basically Rex having Woody's ear on who he wanted...

Francesca is a fat idiot too but he's not wrong. I think it's pretty clear that Rex has Woody's ear regardless of whether the hire turns out to be Gamble or not.

#63 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,630 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

A football man to run a football team. Finally

Show some respect. It's Football Man, a race of man created specifically with the necessary skills to build a football franchise The Right Way. Their intellect and ability to See far surpasses dolphins and eagles as well as humans.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#64 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,630 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Of course it is. Worth it's weight in gold.

Edited by SenorGato, 06 January 2013 - 11:55 AM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#65 G.O.B.

G.O.B.

Using Excessive Force

• Moderators
  • 17,286 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Michigan

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Doesn't matter. Whomever holds the GM position will be a failure. Whoever the new GM drafts in April will be a failure. The team is a failure. The coaching staff is a failure. The entire organization is a failure. They have been a failure since 1969. They will always be a failure. Nothing will ever change it. The Cubs will win a World Series before the Jets as much as win a AFC Championship. If the entire team was injected with syphillis not a single player would die because the disease would be unable to be successful around all that failure.

637844091-amazing-pictures-pilot-s-jet-c

NY Jets Football: 45 Years of complete and utter incompetence.

#66 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Doesn't matter. Whomever holds the GM position will be a failure. Whoever the new GM drafts in April will be a failure. The team is a failure. The coaching staff is a failure. The entire organization is a failure. They have been a failure since 1969. They will always be a failure. Nothing will ever change it. The Cubs will win a World Series before the Jets as much as win a AFC Championship. If the entire team was injected with syphillis not a single player would die because the disease would be unable to be successful around all that failure.

This

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#67 CotcheryifyouCan

CotcheryifyouCan

J-E-T-S

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

the force is strong with this one

#68 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 56,718 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Why do I fear that you are going to give yourself the POTW next week for this one? :)

#69 TnT

TnT

Patty Cake Champion

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Just a couple of thoughts/questions:
1. Im not a Smith supporter, but didnt this kid have like 4 OC's in 5 yrs? I mean, thats gotta be difficult for any young QB, no?
2. Technically, based on the hunch that pure breed Anglo Saxons are a dwindling race...wouldnt Gamble actually be the minority candidate? (I would just like to add that I am a minority for the record)
3. Does anybody think that Gamble isnt the route we should go...and why?

#70 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#71 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 30,505 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Time for BossTurd to send you back to Jets Fan Happy Club ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#72 JerryK

JerryK

Supreme Chancellor

• Members
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Here's the problem:
-He's done the job before. (we always hire first-timers into these positions)
-People have heard of him. (see note above)

At some point the jets will announce, with much fanfare, the thrilling promotion of Timmy the bathroom cologne attendant.

Hate to bump my own post, but when this drama all shakes out let's not forget who called it.
One thing I forgot though: Timmy is on the Giants' payroll, but they'll end up letting us do a 50yr shared arrangement. He'll be a GM during our week, and he'll hawk the Avon Racecar on theirs. (He's got some Avon Bowling Pin but you have to tip him)
Avatar=whoever eliminates Brady.

#73 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 24,719 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

Bassett, learning the hard lesson about getting used by a douchebag organization to disseminate bullsh*t.

#74 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 56,718 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Bassett, learning the hard lesson about getting used by a douchebag organization to disseminate bullsh*t.

I am not sure what happened there but Brian rarely tries to break stuff. He has a lot of contacts so I am sure he felt this was a done deal. Although his contacts are more in the SNY realm since he doesn't cover the team on a daily basis.

#75 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 30,505 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

I am not sure what happened there but Brian rarely tries to break stuff. He has a lot of contacts so I am sure he felt this was a done deal. Although his contacts are more in the SNY realm since he doesn't cover the team on a daily basis.

It still might happen.
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users