78 replies to this topic

#51 jl12

jl12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

Screw the revolt of the OL, they have to keep their remaining QBs healthy.  If Rex tries to play Geno behind backups vs the Iggles, he should be fired immediately following the game.

I think the decision to play Sanchez behind 3rd string offensive lineman in the third quater of a meaningless game was one of  the worst decisions Rex has made as a head coach. 

At this point, I bet Idzik is wondering if he made the right decision to give Rex another year...and I say that having supported Rex in the past.  

#52 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 17,102 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

I would be suprised if Geno doesnt play a full half on Thursday 

you can't play anyone friday who is a starter, not even 1 play.  

the media won't approve !!!

shock and horror !!!!

Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.

#53 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

Screw the revolt of the OL, they have to keep their remaining QBs healthy. 

the Jets starting OL is worth more than the Jets QB's. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#54 JoeKlecko

JoeKlecko

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

Simms should get his arm loose because he should play the entire game vs. Philly.    Geno should be learning the Tampa gameplan and getting ready to play week 1.  

After doing some more thinking about this this afternoon, I have changed my mind.  Right now, I think the Jets need to tell Geno to forget about playing anytime soon.  They need to be patient with him.  They need to have him focus solely on his fundamentals until they feel like he's been taking snaps from under center, dropping back and throwing the ball on the right step his whole life.  That might take 2 weeks or it might take 2 months.  He has to get totally comfortable with those fundamentals so they aren't a factor at all.  Once that is accomplished, they can move on to reading Ds.  When he is much more comfortable and in command of that aspect of play, then they can think about playing him again.  There's no way he should be thinking about playing Tampa in 2 weeks.  He's not gonna be ready no matter what they do in those 2 weeks.  I'm with Tom...we're talking at least 2-3 months for him and maybe longer to develop.  Roll him out there any sooner and we'll never have a true picture of what he can do, because he will never be comfortable, relaxed and truly confident, and if continues to struggle, his confidence will be shot by the time he learns what he needs to learn.

Rex Ryan, the bag lady of NFL HCs.

#55 johnnysd

johnnysd

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Are you going to have DBrick and Mangold out there with him?

If the Jets feel teh reps are critical for Geno then yes

#56 johnnysd

johnnysd

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

After doing some more thinking about this this afternoon, I have changed my mind.  Right now, I think the Jets need to tell Geno to forget about playing anytime soon.  They need to be patient with him.  They need to have him focus solely on his fundamentals until they feel like he's been taking snaps from under center, dropping back and throwing the ball on the right step his whole life.  That might take 2 weeks or it might take 2 months.  He has to get totally comfortable with those fundamentals so they aren't a factor at all.  Once that is accomplished, they can move on to reading Ds.  When he is much more comfortable and in command of that aspect of play, then they can think about playing him again.  There's no way he should be thinking about playing Tampa in 2 weeks.  He's not gonna be ready no matter what they do in those 2 weeks.  I'm with Tom...we're talking at least 2-3 months for him and maybe longer to develop.  Roll him out there any sooner and we'll never have a true picture of what he can do, because he will never be comfortable, relaxed and truly confident, and if continues to struggle, his confidence will be shot by the time he learns what he needs to learn.

I think that's nonsensical. He made ver good reads, except for the zone blitz

#57 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,723 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

I think the decision to play Sanchez behind 3rd string offensive lineman in the third quater of a meaningless game was one of  the worst decisions Rex has made as a head coach. 

At this point, I bet Idzik is wondering if he made the right decision to give Rex another year...and I say that having supported Rex in the past.  

if we are playing hindsight games, this whole thing could have been avoided if Mark was playing with the first team OL.  

Rex should have had the power to name Mark the starter a week ago. When real pro teams do it. Instead of having the GM making QB decisions and completely undercutting the coach. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#58 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 57,651 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

if we are playing hindsight games, this whole thing could have been avoided if Mark was playing with the first team OL.  

Rex should have had the power to name Mark the starter a week ago. When real pro teams do it. Instead of having the GM making QB decisions and completely undercutting the coach. 

I was surprised they didn't just let Mark play the 3rd quarter.  Give Geno the first half, Mark the 3rd all behind the starters.  Then Simms or McElroy could have had the 4th quarter.

#59 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Smith had very little work in the two previous preseasons, they needed to give him a fair shot to win the starter's role.

They probably also figured that in case Geno did not have a good first half, they wanted to give him the chance to come out in the second half and show what he could do.  As it happened, Geno did not have a good first half and no doubt was happy to have the chance to play in the third quarter.

#60 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

..At this point, I bet Idzik is wondering if he made the right decision to give Rex another year...and I say that having supported Rex in the past.  

Idzik did not make the decision to give Rex another year.  Idzik was hired on the understanding that Rex would be head coach for at least the first year.  During the interview process, Johnson had Rex come into the office and discuss ideas with Idzik as to how things should go.  Rex, however, was not part of the decision making process to hire the GM.

#61 KSJets

KSJets

The Hammer

• Members
  • 4,169 posts
  • LocationPlainsboro, NJ

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:09 AM

I think what was supposed to happen was when Sanchez went in, he was only going to play a series.  If he led the team down the field and scored, he most likely would have come out.  Since he sh*t the bed and fumbled the shotgun snap, they trotted him out for another series, where he wound up getting hurt.

Edited by KSJets, 27 August 2013 - 12:35 AM.

"This "breaking news" was addressed a few weeks ago. The Pats suck and all of their accomplishments are bogus as they cheated." - Gainzo

#62 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 25,853 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

After doing some more thinking about this this afternoon, I have changed my mind. Right now, I think the Jets need to tell Geno to forget about playing anytime soon. They need to be patient with him. They need to have him focus solely on his fundamentals until they feel like he's been taking snaps from under center, dropping back and throwing the ball on the right step his whole life. That might take 2 weeks or it might take 2 months. He has to get totally comfortable with those fundamentals so they aren't a factor at all. Once that is accomplished, they can move on to reading Ds. When he is much more comfortable and in command of that aspect of play, then they can think about playing him again. There's no way he should be thinking about playing Tampa in 2 weeks. He's not gonna be ready no matter what they do in those 2 weeks. I'm with Tom...we're talking at least 2-3 months for him and maybe longer to develop. Roll him out there any sooner and we'll never have a true picture of what he can do, because he will never be comfortable, relaxed and truly confident, and if continues to struggle, his confidence will be shot by the time he learns what he needs to learn.

Yes.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#63 JoeKlecko

JoeKlecko

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

I think that's nonsensical. He made ver good reads, except for the zone blitz

If it's so nonsensical, why have Lee and Mornhinweg saying that Geno still needs to work on that, particularly on reading blitzes?  We don't want him to get seriously injured because he's either incapable of seeing when a blitz is coming or is still struggling with his fundamentals and grasp of the offense that he is thinking about that and doesn't notice that a blitz is coming.  The same principle applies to accuracy and interceptions.  Geno was very accurate in college and rarely threw picks.  Look at how many he's thrown recently in practice and in the game vs the Giants.  That's a clear signal that he's thinking too much, not quite sure about everything, and not comfortable/relaxed and letting his talent take over.

#64 JoeKlecko

JoeKlecko

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

I think what was supposed to happen was when Sanchez went in, he was only going to play a series.  If he led the team down the field and scored, he most likely would have come out.  Since he sh*t the bed and fumbled the shotgun snap, they trotted him out for another series, where he wound up getting hurt.

So are you saying that it's Sanchez' own fault he got injured?   :winking0001:

#65 Jetfan13

Jetfan13

older but better

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

Screw the revolt of the OL, they have to keep their remaining QBs healthy.  If Rex tries to play Geno behind backups vs the Iggles, he should be fired immediately following the game.

So he should be fired for having Sanchez play behind scrubs, then for having Smith play behind the first line...guess Rex just cant win with you guys.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

#66 JoeKlecko

JoeKlecko

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

So he should be fired for having Sanchez play behind scrubs, then for having Smith play behind the first line...guess Rex just cant win with you guys.

That doesn't even make sense.

#67 Jetfan13

Jetfan13

older but better

• Members
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

That doesn't even make sense.

I know. Some people said Rexshpuld be fired because he pit Sanchez in behind the 3rd string line. Now people are talking about putting the 1st string line in for game 4 so that Geno can protection. Sanchez got hurt, fire Rex. If Mangold gets hurt, again it's fire Rex. Capeche?
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

#68 JoeKlecko

JoeKlecko

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I know. Some people said Rexshpuld be fired because he pit Sanchez in behind the 3rd string line. Now people are talking about putting the 1st string line in for game 4 so that Geno can protection. Sanchez got hurt, fire Rex. If Mangold gets hurt, again it's fire Rex. Capeche?

Si. Grazie tanti.

#69 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 27,722 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I hear you, except here's the issue (and I'm not one of the hardline Rex bashers here):  there was no earthly reason to put Sanchez in there.

Sanchez was in do-no-harm mode and in that role he fumbled a simple snap - his third ridiculous blunder in as many games - and he was STILL going to get the job.  So unless he sat on the ground and sh*t himself and rubbed it all over his face, the competition was over.  If Sanchez screws up and STILL wins, then there was no purpose to inserting him in the game (backup OL or not).  I mean, literally unless Sanchez threw a pick 6 or two in his 1 quarter of work, the job was his.  So why is he out there? To "win" a job he's already won?  It makes no sense from a logic standpoint. 

There are only 3 reasons to put him in there.  

1. To watch Sanchez succeed and give a definitive end to the competition.  

2. To win a meaningless preseason game (no matter how much coaches bluster how every game counts and you can't get used to losing and blah blah blah. It's a preseason game and it doesn't count, end of story.  

3. Rex is not convinced that Geno is unready to start week 1.

So I'm not satisfied with either of the first 2 reasons, and don't believe the 3rd reason.  If reason 3 was true, then Rex's podium dance would have been different.  He would have said all the appropriate "this sucks" comments about Sanchez's injury but he would have said he still felt good about going with Geno week 1 if the injury forces him to, because the competition was neck & neck anyway & was so close you could flip a coin and not really go wrong no matter who it ended up being.  But he didn't say anything like that.  He was wearing the face of a guy who may have just lost his starting QB 2 weeks before the season starts.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

#70 SickJetFan

SickJetFan

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

I hear you, except here's the issue (and I'm not one of the hardline Rex bashers here):  there was no earthly reason to put Sanchez in there.

Sanchez was in do-no-harm mode and in that role he fumbled a simple snap - his third ridiculous blunder in as many games - and he was STILL going to get the job.  So unless he sat on the ground and sh*t himself and rubbed it all over his face, the competition was over.  If Sanchez screws up and STILL wins, then there was no purpose to inserting him in the game (backup OL or not).  I mean, literally unless Sanchez threw a pick 6 or two in his 1 quarter of work, the job was his.  So why is he out there? To "win" a job he's already won?  It makes no sense from a logic standpoint. 

rubbed sh*t on his face......classic

he screwed up no doubt... but I dont think it is reason to crusify him

#71 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 27,722 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

rubbed sh*t on his face......classic

he screwed up no doubt... but I dont think it is reason to crusify him

Rex said he put Sanchez in because there's an ongoing competition.  

But if Sanchez screws up - and he did screw up - and gets awarded the job anyway, then why is he in there? Clearly Sanchez could not lose the job, so it makes no sense for him to be in there.

My opinion is he wanted to put Sanchez in there against the 3's so he would look great and it would put an emphatic BOOM to end the competition.

The only other POSSIBLE explanation is that Sanchez won the job (or more correctly, Geno had already lost the job), but Rex wanted to get Sanchez at least a few reps before his starter sat out preseason game 4.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

#72 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,000 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

But if Sanchez screws up - and he did screw up - and gets awarded the job anyway, then why is he in there? Clearly Sanchez could not lose the job, so it makes no sense for him to be in there.

My opinion is he wanted to put Sanchez in there against the 3's so he would look great and it would put an emphatic BOOM to end the competition.

The only other POSSIBLE explanation is that Sanchez won the job (or more correctly, Geno had already lost the job), but Rex wanted to get Sanchez at least a few reps before his starter sat out preseason game 4.

There aren't many live practices.  Both these guys kinda suck and need reps.  If they both keep trying to throw the job back, why not make them keep playing?

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#73 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

i think its more of the reps part. I doubt rex even thought for a moment sanchez would get hurt in half a quarter.

Sucks it happened but oh well

#74 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,641 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think there's likely some truth to the bold.  While certain people *cough*bitonti*cough* have been rambling on about what Sanchez "earned", the truth is he didn't earn a damn thing with his play this preseason.  He looked no different than always, making the same mind-numbing mistakes he was for the prior 4 years.  The Jets headed into the Giants game hoping that Geno would look great and establish himself beyond doubt as the better option at QB.  If / when that didn't happen, the plan was to then give Sanchez the "easy" win by letting him clean up against the Giants' backups, look good for a change and put this thing to bed.  It seems the last thing the Jets wanted to be doing is simply handing the starting job over to the much-maligned Sanchez, who Rex already had repeated accusations of favoring, which is exactly what they would have been getting ripped for right now had they not played Sanchez, but then announced him as the starter.  Of course, that doesn't necessarily make it the right decision to handle it that way, but it's different than the storylines of some mindless whim or a diabolical plot by the evil Count Idzik.

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

#75 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,114 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

He should have let Sanchez in on the plan. Sanchez seemed pissed that he got injured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users