Draft?

GangGreenDover

Agreed, and it was a crap draft with twelve picks in a deep class. Pretty much a tutorial on never drafting for need.

Like I said, I was in no position to judge the draft at the time because I just don't know anything about 90% of these guys coming out of school. But I do remember Idzik and Ryan looking positively giddy about their haul. When they were asked - probably Mehta - why they didn't trade up their response was that they did have opportunities but they couldn't imagine passing up on any of these gems they landed.

:bag:

Yeah Milliner was definitely top 5 on every draft website I read. It's probably no coincidence that the only pure BPA pick is the only decent pick they have made.

I think it's also the one area, during the draft, where Ryan has so much input worthy of listening to, and the only area the GM (past and present) pays any serious attention to. Then again, Coples hasn't lived up to his slot (very similar draft slot to Richardson).

Anyway, judging from the early returns of the remainder of their draft list, I'd say it's total coincidence. Drafting for need merely means taking guys you like earlier than they should have gone by maybe a round or two (even 3). If they can't get onto the field on a team whose starters have them at 1-7, or are a lot of the reasons they are 1-7, then slight reach or not they weren't worth taking in any round.

I think it's also the one area, during the draft, where Ryan has so much input worthy of listening to, and the only area the GM (past and present) pays any serious attention to. Then again, Coples hasn't lived up to his slot (very similar draft slot to Richardson).Anyway, judging from the early returns of the remainder of their draft list, I'd say it's total coincidence.

Not to turn this into a Coples thread because I know we don't have enough of those. But I would love to see him at DE in a 4-3. I actually think he would be a beast in the role they had Abraham in - but he was too small to play.

Not to turn this into a Coples thread because I know we don't have enough of those. But I would love to see him at DE in a 4-3. I actually think he would be a beast in the role they had Abraham in - but he was too small to play.

He lines up that way plenty. No, not every play. But for enough snaps that you'd see tangible results. Results that would scream out "Holy crap keep this kid with a hand in the dirt EVERY down!!"

He's just an ok player. Great talent but you can see who's got the every down motor up front, like Richardson. Just love that kid (apart from calling timeouts, lol).

He lines up that way plenty. No, not every play. But for enough snaps that you'd see tangible results. Results that would scream out "Holy crap keep this kid with a hand in the dirt EVERY down!!"He's just an ok player. Great talent but you can see who's got the every down motor up front, like Richardson. Just love that kid (apart from calling timeouts, lol).

True and yes Richardson is awesome. I love him too.

Give the first 3 picks away to San Fran in exchange for Harbaugh

If i were woody i would meet with harbaugh and say "here is our offer" and slide a check across the table. When harbaugh points out that it is blank, woody gives him a little wink and double finger pistols and says "exactly."

Someone qualified should rank the entire draft from 1-250, and then they should take the top guy available from that list with every pick.

I thought that was idzik's draft philosophy?  And isn't it really a case of who makes out the 250?  Why would they go from BPA year one to anything goes year two?  My impression was that they were trying to restock for depth when they compiled 12 draft picks?

Archived