xmas Jets mock?

Paradis

I been feeling it this way.  Thoughts? 

1 -- OLB  L. Floyd - Georgia    ...BPA @ position of need
2 -- WR  C. Coleman - Baylor .... insurance/competition for Smith
3 -- OT  W. Beavers - W. Michigan ...LT pedigree
4 -- RB  K. Hunt - Toledo     ....Underrated 3 down back
5 -- LB  C. Maggit - Tennessee  ...anchor type
7 -- QB T. Boykin - TCU    ...Tyrod taylor developmental guy.  may not last @ QB

I know that Floyd gets mocked to the Jets a lot, but he reminds me of a poor man's version of Kiki Mingo, I'm just not a fan. 

I'll do my own version based upon the players available for the Jets in the following mock (Walter's mock drafts are not the best, but no one else is doing a 3 rounder this early): http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

Round 1: Shone Coleman - Auburn (OT) - kid is flying a little under the radar now, but I think he is going to declare and go in round 1. A little bit old (I believe he is 23) due to a couple of years he missed fighting cancer, but his tape against Myles Garrett (a future top 5 pick) is pretty impressive:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/shon-coleman-vs-texas-am-2015/

Round 2: Noah Spence - Eastern Kentucky (edge rusher) - kid has first round tape and first round talent, but his prior off field problems knock him into the second round. If he truly has his act back together, it will be fun watching him and Mauldin attack Qbs for the next couple of years. 

Round 3: DeRunya Wilson - Miss State (WR) - big physical possession receiver who could be groomed to be a starter down the road when Decker or Marshall leave. 

I know that Floyd gets mocked to the Jets a lot, but he reminds me of a poor man's version of Kiki Mingo, I'm just not a fan. 

I'll do my own version based upon the players available for the Jets in the following mock (Walter's mock drafts are not the best, but no one else is doing a 3 rounder this early): http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

Round 1: Shone Coleman - Auburn (OT) - kid is flying a little under the radar now, but I think he is going to declare and go in round 1. A little bit old (I believe he is 23) due to a couple of years he missed fighting cancer, but his tape against Myles Garrett (a future top 5 pick) is pretty impressive:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/shon-coleman-vs-texas-am-2015/

Round 2: Noah Spence - Eastern Kentucky (edge rusher) - kid has first round tape and first round talent, but his prior off field problems knock him into the second round. If he truly has his act back together, it will be fun watching him and Mauldin attack Qbs for the next couple of years. 

Round 3: DeRunya Wilson - Miss State (WR) - big physical possession receiver who could be groomed to be a starter down the road when Decker or Marshall leave. 

Coleman is gawd awful, the kid holds on every play.

Coleman is gawd awful, the kid holds on every play.

I feel like you're trying to bait me here. Clearly he's not god awful, and  holding? Really?... and possess some of (if not the most) explosive playmaking ability in this year's draft. He's a natural with the ball in his hands and has knack for finding space between a defender. 

1 - Ezekiel Elliot, Rb, Ohio State

2 - Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia

3 - Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota State

4 - Jordan Williams, WR, Ball State

5 - Blake Martinez, ILB, Stanford

7 - Drew Kaser, Punter, Texas A&M

Drafting a running back in the first round is a mistake any year. Unless it's a can't miss talent like AP, there's no need.

Drafting a running back in the first round is a mistake any year. Unless it's a can't miss talent like AP, there's no need.

Simply value vs who I projected to be there.  Elliot may not even be there around when we draft.  Todd Gurley coming off a big injury was drafted high and was certainly the right choice for the rams.  I would have rather gone pass rushing olb or OT at that spot but the better players in that range I projected to be gone.

Simply value vs who I projected to be there.  Elliot may not even be there around when we draft.  Todd Gurley coming off a big injury was drafted high and was certainly the right choice for the rams.  I would have rather gone pass rushing olb or OT at that spot but the better players in that range I projected to be gone.

That's fair. Hard to know without seeing a full 1st round mock. It'll definitely be a position of discussion with Ivory, Powell, and Ridley all free agents. Lots of time between now and draft, but if he's the BPA then you take him.

1 - Ezekiel Elliot, Rb, Ohio State

2 - Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia

3 - Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota State

4 - Jordan Williams, WR, Ball State

5 - Blake Martinez, ILB, Stanford

7 - Drew Kaser, Punter, Texas A&M

feels somewhat uninspiring, but taking Elliot makes everything else white noise. For the jets to finally pull the trigger on a (presumed) blue chip prospect at a skill-position?... that's more this old heart can bear to imagine.

feels somewhat uninspiring, but taking Elliot makes everything else white noise. For the jets to finally pull the trigger on a (presumed) blue chip prospect at a skill-position?... that's more this old heart can bear to imagine.

Do you really consider Elliott a blue chip prospect? I don't see him as a very explosive player. 

Do you really consider Elliott a blue chip prospect? I don't see him as a very explosive player. 

I'm not sure how much i love Elliot, yet. I didn't sit through a lot of OSU this year but i would say yes, he fits the bill of a blue chip running back. Explosive? ehh, maybe, maybe not. But to me, he's shown enough that you could draft him with a 3-down workhorse expectations. He's a volume back, you need to get him going. Elite agility to laterally work his way down the field between tacklers. Phenomenal finish on his runs. I'm a bigger fan of Henry's decisive down-hill running style, but you could argue that Elliot is more versatile. 

I'm not sure how much i love Elliot, yet. I didn't sit through a lot of OSU this year but i would say yes, he fits the bill of a blue chip running back. Explosive? ehh, maybe, maybe not. But to me, he's shown enough that you could draft him with a 3-down workhorse expectations. He's a volume back, you need to get him going. Elite agility to laterally work his way down the field between tacklers. Phenomenal finish on his runs. I'm a bigger fan of Henry's decisive down-hill running style, but you could argue that Elliot is more versatile. 

I just don't see that special quality in Elliot that I saw in Gurley or Gordon (although it appears I was wrong on the latter). I REALLY like next year's crop with Fournette, Dalvin Cook and Chubb (unless Chubb comes out this year). 

I just don't see that special quality in Elliot that I saw in Gurley or Gordon (although it appears I was wrong on the latter). I REALLY like next year's crop with Fournette, Dalvin Cook and Chubb (unless Chubb comes out this year). 

Don't think Chubb's eligible this year? I think this year and next are pretty close. I value Elliot enough to put him in that category with Cook, Henry, Chubb... I need to see another full season out of Fournette. Early returns suggest he's in that elite club. 

I'm not throwing the towel in on Gordon yet. SD's offense and oline was a mess and was not a great fit. Jamal Charles didn't do a lot his rookie year either. Think Gordon will develop. 

• 2 weeks later...

If we got Elliott at #20 I'd be ecstatic... I remember watching him in the 2014 National Championship and he stood out far more than any other player on the field including Mariota, Cardale Jones, Devin Smith and everyone else. I'd consider him a blue chip talent. I've checked out a lot of tape on him from 14-15 and 15-16 and I'd say he has as much explosiveness as either Gurley or Gordon did in their college careers. In the right offense he could be even better than Gurley was for the Rams this season.

I been feeling it this way.  Thoughts? 

1 -- OLB  L. Floyd - Georgia    ...BPA @ position of need
2 -- WR  C. Coleman - Baylor .... insurance/competition for Smith
3 -- OT  W. Beavers - W. Michigan ...LT pedigree
4 -- RB  K. Hunt - Toledo     ....Underrated 3 down back
5 -- LB  C. Maggit - Tennessee  ...anchor type
7 -- QB T. Boykin - TCU    ...Tyrod taylor developmental guy.  may not last @ QB

This is what I'd like to see personally... Pretty similar to what you had.

1 -- Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State

14-11-29-FB-0660-DH.jpg

NFL comparison/ceiling: Justin Houston

We finally get our speedy pass rusher at OLB who can drop into coverage too

2 -- Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina

460x.jpg

NFL Comparison/ceiling: Percy Harvin

replaces Kerley and is a legit slot WR

3 -- Devontae Booker, RB, Utah

1426372.jpg

NFL Comparison/ceiling: Ameer Abdullah

resign Ivory, let everyone else walk. Ivory-Booker-Stacy

4 -- Bryce Williams, TE, East Carolina

8865585.jpg

Amaro and Williams would be nice so we can use our TEs next season. Williams can actually block AND catch...

NFL Comparison/ceiling: Jason Witten

5 -- Pearce Slater, OT, San Diego State

UTI1874057_r620x413.JPG?67d6da46cf1438ad

NFL comparison/ceiling: Sebastian Vollmer

This is assuming we find someone to replace Brick because there's no way he's on the roster next season with his cap charge... I think everyone else will stay Carpenter-Mangold-Colon/Winters-Giacomini. Could develop into a nice starting LT.

7 -- Eddie Yarbrough, DE/OLB, Wyoming

460x.jpg

NFL Comparison/ceiling: Nigel Bradham

Watched this kid play firsthand at Wyoming and know he has the raw talent to be great, just needs to work on technique more. Kind of a tweener between DE/OLB. right now he's ranked anywhere from 5-6th round to a UFA but I think he'd be worth a 7th round investment.

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2016 at 2:27 PM, NYJetsVets91 said:

This is what I'd like to see personally... Pretty similar to what you had.

1 -- Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State

14-11-29-FB-0660-DH.jpg

NFL comparison/ceiling: Justin Houston

We finally get our speedy pass rusher at OLB who can drop into coverage too

2 -- Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina

460x.jpg

NFL Comparison/ceiling: Percy Harvin

replaces Kerley and is a legit slot WR

3 -- Devontae Booker, RB, Utah

1426372.jpg

NFL Comparison/ceiling: Ameer Abdullah

resign Ivory, let everyone else walk. Ivory-Booker-Stacy

4 -- Bryce Williams, TE, East Carolina

8865585.jpg

Amaro and Williams would be nice so we can use our TEs next season. Williams can actually block AND catch...

NFL Comparison/ceiling: Jason Witten

5 -- Pearce Slater, OT, San Diego State

UTI1874057_r620x413.JPG?67d6da46cf1438ad

NFL comparison/ceiling: Sebastian Vollmer

This is assuming we find someone to replace Brick because there's no way he's on the roster next season with his cap charge... I think everyone else will stay Carpenter-Mangold-Colon/Winters-Giacomini. Could develop into a nice starting LT.

7 -- Eddie Yarbrough, DE/OLB, Wyoming

460x.jpg

NFL Comparison/ceiling: Nigel Bradham

Watched this kid play firsthand at Wyoming and know he has the raw talent to be great, just needs to work on technique more. Kind of a tweener between DE/OLB. right now he's ranked anywhere from 5-6th round to a UFA but I think he'd be worth a 7th round investment.

Called it... Just sayin.

Archived