Immediate Impact Offense

Vader

There's one way to dramatically improve this team not just for this year, but especially going forward. Offense.

The defense has been treated like precious, cultivated into a bonsai. You have a defensive head coach, 1st rounder after 1st rounder. FA singnings. And other big re-signings of our own. 

Its time for the D to smoke what they got. Perform and live with it. they didn't get a rush OLB? Sorry. Pryor is horrible? Draft his replacement with Adams at 6? That's inefficient. McCagnan has duties to build a dynamic team, not serve the narrow interests of a defensive head coach. 

The phases of the game are interconnected. If the defense gives up points, you need the offense the counter. If you have weapons on offense, it releases stress from the defense. If you have an offense, you don't need your defense to be the 85 bears.

Also, in this draft, you want the sure things. The draft is relatively flat in terms of talent, with consistently similarly graded players well into the second round. It's not a QB draft. And besides, QBs need weapons. 

Here are the guys I want at 6:

McCaffrey.

Howard.

Ross.

Points on the board.

Each one is a day one starter, a virtual lock not to just not bust but to make an impact. That impact will be various with each.

Mcaffrey is a mismatch everywhere on the field and in the return game. The guy is a lock impact player. Best hands in the draft. Best feet and hips in the draft. Leon Washington on steroids.

Howard will benefit a young QB as well as the run game. Three down TE, who creates matchup nightmares.

Ross will simply blow the top off the defense and is generally the dynamo complimenting the possession WRs we have now. Also benefits our return game.

putting points on the board, changing field position, will do more for the defense going forward than drafting another high risk, injury prone defender. Further, you are prepping an umbrella of options on offense for a real FQB in the next year or two.

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

McCaffery I like, Ross....a bit gun shy, we already have some speed guys.  I'd rather have a gret red zone target.

Howard  and his impact is being seriously over rated in my opinion by many.

Mcaffrey I have this feeling will be special. I like Hooker to help the secondary and ball hawk but it's a risk and enough defense already. For serious.

33 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

McCaffery is the only immediate impact player that fits the Jets, guys like Howard, Ross, or Fournette won't touch the ball enough to make an immediate impact like McCafferey would.

McCaffery is a luxary pick. He's a dynamic weapon, but on a team as low on talent as we are, I'd want a more stable piece to the offense. 

33 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

McCaffery is the only immediate impact player that fits the Jets, guys like Howard, Ross, or Fournette won't touch the ball enough to make an immediate impact like McCafferey would.

U say that Bc u think coaches won't play rookies or Bc they couldn't play yet? 

Ross wld definitely play immediately in the return game and you would have to imagine that the presence of 4.2 guy on the field would have an immediate impact of lifting the top off a defense -- even if he isn't getting thrown to 10 times a game. 

Howard also: I think this guy is a mean blocker and brings a competitiveness and dedication to craft that will lift the competitiveness of the entire offense. The way he talks about blocking and blocking drills and the way he goes out and does it...that can change the team character. And a defense will have to respect the threat of a 4.5 TE that plays on 1st down...

mcaffrey imo may be the best football player in the draft, hands down. JMO

If we are going straight up OFFENSE: Here is my mock:

rd. 1: L.Fournette, if no Fournette, OJ Howard 

rd. 2: Cam Robinson: If he doesn't end up being a Pro Bowler at LT, he will be a Pro Bowler at RT, if not RT then OG. Robinson will be a Pro Bowler somewhere on the O-line, he is just too talented not to be. If he falls to the 2nd round, I'm taking him. 

Rd. 3a: If no Howard in Rd. 1- J.Leggett-TE, otherwise, I'm taking C.Godwin-WR 

Rd. 3b: If no Fournette in rd. 1, I'm going RB and D.Foreman is my guy. I think he'd pair nicely with Powell for the next few years and has enough burst to be more than just a power red zone back. 

Rd. 5: I'm taking J.Malone- WR or dipping back into O-line and taking a C- like Orlosky or Fuller

Rd. 6: Big M.Roberts-TE is the pick. 

Rd. 7: Dipping back in for OT and taking J.Ugokwe who's a project but who's upside I love.  

Archived