new offensive coordinator John Morton,.. Metallica & QB's ~ ~ ~

kelly

Each week, we pick a hot-button question for our New York Jets mailbag. This week, if focuses on the quarterback position and rebuilding, which became a huge issue with the release of David Harris and imminent departure of Eric Decker.

Wondering about the Jets' latest roster moves + direction of the team? Accepting questions for the mailbag. Please use #jetsmail

@RichCimini #jetsmail if the jets are clearing house why pick up 38 year old josh mccown who's proven to be the not so best when there were other option
@RichCimini : I can certainly understand why you'd ask this question, considering the obvious youth movement. I'll break up my answer into two parts: The overall philosophy of the decision and the other candidates who were considered.

The philosophy : First of all, age isn't a huge deal for quarterbacks. Some of the best in the league are in their mid- to late 30s, including Tom Brady, who turns 40 in August. Mainly, the Jets wanted a cheap but experienced game manager who won't make a stink when he's inevitably benched for Christian Hackenberg or Bryce Petty. They also wanted a reasonably competent quarterback, someone who won't bring down everybody around him. If the quarterback struggles, everybody struggles, and that would stunt the development of their many young players.

This limited their options. They wound up with Josh McCown, who checks all the boxes. He's the quintessential bridge quarterback. In addition, he has had experience in a West Coast-style offense and he played under quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates. It's not like they had a lot of great choices.They showed early interest in Mike Glennon, but they deemed him too expensive ($18.5 million guaranteed). If they had signed Glennon or any quarterback for that amount, it would've been curtains for Hackenberg and Petty.

They made a competitive offer to Brian Hoyer, I'm told, but he wanted no part of the Jets; he wanted to reunite with Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco. They flirted with Jay Cutler, but never made an offer. Chances are, he would've been out of their price range anyway. They visited with Chase Daniel, but you're talking about a career backup with limited game experience. Colin Kaepernick ? Yeah, right. There's no way owner Woody Johnson, a Republican honcho and potential U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom, would've signed off on the polarizing Kaepernick.

The Jets' circuitous search led them to McCown, who turns 38 on July 4. He will be the highest-paid babysitter ($6 million) in the history of mankind.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69262/jets-create-odd-mix-youth-movement-led-by-38-year-old-quarterback

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer

The New York Jets close the offseason with a mandatory, three-day minicamp, starting Tuesday. Five players I'll be watching :

QB Christian Hackenberg : Technically, he's competing with veteran Josh McCown and Bryce Petty for the starting job, but people have lost sight of the true purpose of these offseason practices. For Hackenberg, it's all about learning and building a base of knowledge. This is his first exposure to a West Coast-style offense -- and his first extensive exposure to an NFL defense, for that matter -- meaning no sound football person should expect him to overtake McCown anytime soon. It's really Hackenberg versus Hackenberg. It's his job to absorb as much as the offense as possible, then put it to good use in training camp. By then, he can make a run at the No. 1 job (maybe). For now, he's taking baby steps, learning the nuances of his craft. A strong minicamp would be a confidence booster.

rest of above article : 

-- When the New York Jets face the Buffalo Bills on Sept. 10, their starting quarterback probably will be Josh McCown, who will be 38 by then. Some might wonder if that makes sense for the Jets: If you're rebuilding with young players, why not have a young quarterback such as Christian Hackenberg play?

On Tuesday, coach Todd Bowles provided an unusually candid answer."Even when you go to kindergarten," he said, "somebody has to be the teacher."

With those 12 words, Bowles neatly summarized why McCown should be, and will be, the opening-day starter. The Jets brought him in to be their bridge quarterback, and it makes no sense to blow up the bridge before Week 1. Hackenberg will get his chance in the regular season, probably sooner than later, but it would be a mistake to rush him.

Some fans and media types are calling for Hackenberg to be the Week 1 starter based on absurd logic: The Jets are going to stink anyway, so what's the difference who plays quarterback?Well, there is a difference. If the quarterback can't manage the game, everybody on the offense suffers. From a scouting standpoint, it's hard to evaluate players, especially wide receivers, if the quarterback is unable to function in his position.

Hackenberg actually enjoyed a positive day Tuesday in Day 1 of minicamp, but he's miles behind McCown in terms of his grasp of the offense. The Jets have been pleased with Hackenberg's baby steps, but they know it would be too much, too soon to elevate him to the starting job. Best-case scenario: He gets some quality reps in the preseason and builds his confidence, which will help him when the inevitable transition takes place.

The Jets will be young on offense. Six projected starters have fewer than three years of experience, and the average age of the 11 projected starters is 27.3. But guess what? They're even younger on defense, where the projected starters' average age is 25.2.Talk about kindergarten. That's why, to use Bowles' analogy, they should've kept linebacker David Harris. He would've been the McCown of the defense, the wise head who organizes everybody. It was a bad move to unload Harris, and the timing stunk. Several players said they were stunned by his ouster last week.

"Dave was the quarterback of our defense," Leonard Williams said.

On Tuesday, Demario Davis played the Mike linebacker position with the starting defense. He's a capable NFL player with starting experience, but he has never run a defense. Now he's the proverbial next man up, trying to lead one of the youngest defensive units in the league.

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69311/todd-bowles-jets-are-kindergarten-class-and-josh-mccown-is-the-teacher

THE NFL’s desire to become a year-round, around-the clock enterprise has turned its silly season into a knee-slapper with an inordinate amount of fake news. Molehills morph into mountains in this fast-moving news cycle. The need to fill every waking moment with information has put plenty of unsuspecting players in the crosshairs, including those relatively new to the scene.

The ridiculousness surrounding Christian Hackenberg this offseason is disappointing on myriad fronts. He’s unwittingly become a lightning rod, fodder in an overly analytical landscape. Frankly, he deserves better treatment.Fairness is in the eye of the beholder, but from my vantage point, the young quarterback hasn’t exactly received the benefit of the doubt a little more than a year into his professional life. Granted, I have no earthly idea whether he’ll blossom in his second season and beyond, but I know that it’s patently absurd to dissect his every move in coordinated practices designed to help his development.

It's a wonder that we haven't broken down his pre-practice stretching routine yet.

(Full disclosure: I fell into that trap during the Great War of 2012: Tebow vs. Sanchez before fully grasping the absurdity of tracking such nonsense.)

Two Hackenberg passes prompted plenty of chatter last week. Here’s the truth about the pair of “errant” throws that became water cooler talk:

1) A wide receiver slipped on his break on a corner route in passing drills as Hackenberg’s throw flew out of bounds and in the direction of media members lined up a few feet off the sideline. Conclusion: Not a big deal.

2) Hackenberg's pass in individual drills sailed over the shortest receiver on the roster at the time — 5-9 undrafted rookie Brisly Estime. Conclusion: Whoopty-freakin-do.

It’s no secret that Hackenberg, who had a 56.1 completion rate in three seasons in college, needs to improve his accuracy at the next level, but it’s misleading to intimate that he’s some sort of out-of-control gunslinger hitting innocent bystanders off in the distance.It’s true that there were folks on One Jets Drive less than impressed by Hackenberg last season. One eyewitness at nearly every practice told me in January that the then-rookie would never make it. Woody Johnson even cracked a joke about the young quarterback’s accuracy issues right after the season in the wake of an ESPN report. Those sweeping assessments are as unfair today as they were at the time they were made.

Perhaps time will prove those critics right, but the notion of dissecting a player's performance in three offseason practices (in shorts, mind you) is as useless as it is just plain wrong. Remember, Hackenberg has only 47 preseason pass attempts on his professional resume.The organization has indeed seen tangible growth from Hackenberg this spring. The brain trust believes he’s playing faster with much better mechanics than a year ago. He has his fair share of corrections to make, but again: This is PRACTICE.

“I feel like his confidence is growing every day and he improves every day,” veteran quarterback Josh McCown said Tuesday before the start of the team’s three-day minicamp. “You can see that. His grasp of the system has been really good. The coaches are doing a heck of a job of teaching it. He’s just taking to coaching. You see it rep by rep … his improvement. I think that’s cool.”

Coaches have tested Hackenberg in this environment to get clarity on what he can and cannot do at the moment. Mistakes in practices are inevitable. It’s part of the learning process.

The team is encouraged by Hackenberg’s progress, but fully aware that he has plenty left to learn in new offensive coordinator John Morton’s West Coast-inspired offense.“It’s going to take time. … I feel like he’s improving tremendously,” McCown said. “Obviously he’s a big strong guy that can make all the throws. So that parts attractive. Now it’s about getting him to a level in this offense where he feels really comfortable.”It's a big-boy league that requires big-boy pants, but the seemingly gratuitous nitpicking of a player learning a new system in his second season is silly. Hackenberg will get his opportunity to show everyone how much he has learned beginning this preseason. He’ll get his chance at some point in the regular season, too.

If he stinks up the joint, he’ll be fair game for criticism. If it becomes clear that he’s not the franchise quarterback, the Jets will take a swing at the coveted position at the top of the 2018 draft.Hackenberg has the right mindset amid the scrutiny. Time will tell whether or not he’s got the goods.

That time is not today. 

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/early-nitpick-jets-qb-christian-hackenberg-article-1.3244563

Jets QB coach Jeremy Bates defends Christian Hackenberg’s accuracy

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on June 14, 2017, 11:38 PM EDT
ap_16241580363727.jpg?w=250

Chritstian Hackenberg’s accuracy (or lack thereof) has been questioned repeatedly since the New York Jets selected the Penn State product in the second round of last year’s NFL Draft.

Hackenberg did not play in a regular season game last season despite injuries and struggles by the rest of the quarterbacks on the roster. An unnamed coach said Hackenberg “couldn’t hit the ocean” with his passes at the end of last season. Meanwhile this offseason, Hackenberg’s passes have occasionally ended up caroming off reporters on the sidelines or defenders instead of his intended targets.But Jets quarterback coach Jeremy Bates doesn’t buy the assessment of Hackenberg’s accuracy. According to Daniel Popper of the New York Daily News, Bates defended the ability of Hackenberg to throw accurately.

I think he’s real accurate,” Bates said. “I think he’s throwing the ball well. He’s throwing it on time. Part of accuracy is knowing where to go with the ball, and each day, he plays faster. He gets in a rhythm. And I think everyone in the building is excited to see where he’s going. I think he’s accurate.”Whether Hackenberg is accurate enough and capable enough to earn a starting role with the Jets remains to be seen. The fact he couldn’t get on the field last year wasn’t a good sign. Regardless of what Bates says, Hackenberg has to prove it on the field in order for the questions about his accuracy to subside.

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/14/jets-qb-coach-jeremy-bates-defends-christian-hackenbergs-accuracy/

26 minutes ago, kelly said:

Jets QB coach Jeremy Bates defends Christian Hackenberg’s accuracy

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on June 14, 2017, 11:38 PM EDT
ap_16241580363727.jpg?w=250

Chritstian Hackenberg’s accuracy (or lack thereof) has been questioned repeatedly since the New York Jets selected the Penn State product in the second round of last year’s NFL Draft.

Hackenberg did not play in a regular season game last season despite injuries and struggles by the rest of the quarterbacks on the roster. An unnamed coach said Hackenberg “couldn’t hit the ocean” with his passes at the end of last season. Meanwhile this offseason, Hackenberg’s passes have occasionally ended up caroming off reporters on the sidelines or defenders instead of his intended targets.But Jets quarterback coach Jeremy Bates doesn’t buy the assessment of Hackenberg’s accuracy. According to Daniel Popper of the New York Daily News, Bates defended the ability of Hackenberg to throw accurately.

I think he’s real accurate,” Bates said. “I think he’s throwing the ball well. He’s throwing it on time. Part of accuracy is knowing where to go with the ball, and each day, he plays faster. He gets in a rhythm. And I think everyone in the building is excited to see where he’s going. I think he’s accurate.”Whether Hackenberg is accurate enough and capable enough to earn a starting role with the Jets remains to be seen. The fact he couldn’t get on the field last year wasn’t a good sign. Regardless of what Bates says, Hackenberg has to prove it on the field in order for the questions about his accuracy to subside.

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/14/jets-qb-coach-jeremy-bates-defends-christian-hackenbergs-accuracy/

I would thin that this player has to prove it to the person who's making these claims, and not the people who writes about stuff they're not allowed to witness .

-- School's out.

After 10 OTA practices and a three-day minicamp, the New York Jets' kindergarten broke for summer vacation on Thursday, with everybody still wondering about the class ranking. We're talking about the quarterbacks, of course.

Even though all signs point to Josh McCown as the opening-day starter, coach Todd Bowles refused to give anyone an edge in the so-called competition. When asked if McCown is the frontrunner, Bowles said, "Not at this time. I don't look at anybody as the frontrunner. We'll wait until training camp and we'll sort it out there."Bowles wasn't about to declare a favorite at this point, no way. He wants to maintain the competition as long as possible, gauging how Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty respond to that pressure. Most importantly, he wants to give the two young quarterbacks as many reps as possible. They need the work.There's also this: Despite his experience and knowledge of the offense, McCown didn't exactly blow away the field in minicamp. That has to be a bit troubling. He threw three interceptions, compared with two for Hackenberg and one for Petty. Overall, McCown was more efficient and more commanding than the two young pups, but it wasn't a wide margin.

The big story was Hackenberg; he made progress. Make no mistake, he still was inconsistent -- sometimes on a down-to-down basis -- but he showed some arm talent and appeared more decisive than last year at the line of scrimmage and with his reads."Hack got to play and learn a lot more," Bowles said. "From a confidence standpoint, it picked up quite a bit. He got some timing down and he has a good feel for the offense, so I expect him to come back for training camp and just let loose and throw the ball without thinking."

Bowles gave a similar assessment of Petty. It's important to remember he and Hackenberg are new to the West Coast offense, known for its wordy play calls. Hackenberg admitted the verbiage is "definitely a little bit of an adjustment." The spring was all about learning; they should be able to actually compete in training camp.

"I just wanted to come in and take advantage of my reps and learn as much as I could in the meeting room," Hackenberg said.

Unofficially, McCown took about 40 percent of the total reps in minicamp, followed by Hackenberg (32 percent) and Petty (28 percent). But the numbers are a bit skewed because McCown took only two reps on Thursday. The final practice was devoted to Hackenberg and Petty. In fact, most of the starters got the day off.Bowles refused to divulge anything about his plan for training camp. In the past, he gave the majority of the reps to the presumptive starter, but he may have to tweak that if he wants to continue Hackenberg's development. It'll be hard to maintain a three-way competition; there's simply not enough practice time.Clearly, Bowles values McCown's experience. When asked earlier in the week about why he'd choose a 38-year-old quarterback to lead his youth movement, the coach said, "Even when you go to kindergarten, somebody has to be the teacher."

It's not hard to read the handwriting on the wall. Unless he morphs into Derek Carr, Hackenberg won't be able to make up that much ground in a six-week training camp.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69361/jets-coach-expects-christian-hackenberg-to-let-loose-in-camp

On 5/24/2017 at 8:39 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

I feel we got the shortest straw w/ this guy.

Potential lame duck head coach with no offensive talent.   It's not like Bill Walsh was lining up to try to turn it around.

Jeremy Bates is an intense guy. That comes across in the Jets quarterback coach's creased brow, his speaking cadence, and some of the phrases he uses.One of those phrases is emphasizing "the moment" — looking for the moment, working in the moment. It's not surprising, then, that Bates didn't want to dwell on past moments of the previous four years, when he was out of the NFL coaching ranks.

But since Bates' fieldhouse news conference with Jets reporters during the Jets' full-squad minicamp today was his first media session since joining Todd Bowles' 2017 staff, he fielded a few questions on his hiatus and provided some insight into where he'd been and why he's here now."I think at the time it was the right time for me to step aside, find out some things about myself, and have the opportunity to do some other things outside of football," he said. "I did a lot of hiking, a lot of traveling. I stayed involved with the game. I'm not going to really focus on my last four years. At the end of the day, I think it made me a better person, I think it made me a better teacher, and I look forward to being a coach this year."

Bowles, new coordinator John Morton — who coached with him at Southern Cal — and his QBs have all spoken highly of Bates and his coaching methods. And Bates spoke highly of the three men in the quarterbacks room with him who are vying to be the starter beginning Sept. 10 at Buffalo. Some Bates-ian comments from today's session :

Josh McCownicon-article-link.gif  "His knowledge of the game's gotten better and he's playing at a high standard right now. It's exciting to watch him play. And it's been well documented what kind of person he is. ... When you're in the same room as him, there's like a brightness to it, it just puts a smile on your face. ... He's able to share all his knowledge with the younger quarterbacks. He's competing against them but at the same time he's trying to help them. So you couldn't ask for a better guy in the room."

Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif  "Bryce is coming off surgery and hasn't missed a beat, he hasn't flinched. He's out there every day grinding, throwing, hasn't missed a snap. He has a great skillset. He makes a lot of plays 'off schedule,' he has football savvy, and he dove right into the playbook."

Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif  "He's throwing the ball with speed. The hardest part of a new offense is just starting from the first playbook. You have formations, you have protections. He's growing every day. ... I think he's throwing the ball well, he's throwing on time. ... I think he's accurate. ... There's going to be bumps in the road. We can't hit the same bumps the next day. He's shown progress and he keeps going forward."One Bates bullet point came in response to a question on Petty that was framed by saying that many see him as the No. 3 man in this competition.

"First of all, there's no numbers. Right now we're all competing. There's no rank, no order," he said. "We're excited about all three guys in the room. We're not looking at numbers, we're not counting reps. We're just going to make the most of our opportunity and see where it goes."And the second-time-around Jets coach (Bates was Herm Edwards' QBs coach in 2005) gave his mindset about the season ahead for the entire team when he was asked if a very young wideout corps puts pressure on the QBs who will be throwing to them.

"We're all in it it together," he said. "There's pressure on the quarterbacks, there's pressure on the receivers, there's pressure on the offensive linemen. This is a pressure business. But we're a family, we're going to grind together, and we're going to come out and compete."

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Its-All-About-The-Moment-for-Jeremy-Bates/a2efc824-6677-4ea4-820a-24f062707f5b

• Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

1. Looking out for No. 1: They haven't said this publicly, but the Jets' rebuilding plan focuses, in large part, on next year's quarterback-heavy draft. Owner Woody Johnson, always fixated on the quarterback position, is thinking big -- 2017 season, be damned.The three prospects creating the most buzz are USC's Sam Darnold and UCLA's Josh Rosen (both listed as 6-foot-4), along with Wyoming's Josh Allen (6-foot-5). I spoke with an AFC scout who has done extensive work on all three, and he shared his thoughts on the condition of anonymity. Keep in mind, they're draft-eligible underclassmen, so there's no guarantee they will turn pro. (See: Peyton Manning, 1997.)

"It makes a whole lot of sense if they get a Sam Darnold to start their re-boot," the scout said of the Jets' plan. "Honestly, if they're pulling a Cleveland Browns, they can't go wrong with any one of these guys."

His thoughts on each quarterback :

• Darnold (career stats: 13 games, 67.2 completion percentage, 31 touchdowns, nine interceptions): "He's pretty much as advertised. He's extremely heady and smart. He's technically sound and very accurate. He sees the game and he sees the big picture. There's a poise about him that's uncommon. He just plays the game fast and smart. He won't have as many weapons this year, so that will be something to watch. ... I didn't (scout) Deshaun Watson, but I think he's a better prospect than (Patrick) Mahomes and (Mitchell) Trubisky. He doesn't have as good an arm as some guys, but he's accurate and has great instincts for the position."

• Rosen (19 games, 59.7 percentage, 33 touchdowns, 16 interceptions): "He's probably the most polished of all three. If you drew up a prototypical pocket passer in your head, it probably would come out looking like him. He has good mechanics and a smooth delivery. Good athleticism. He just makes plays. ... I'd say Darnold is a better runner, but they're both very good athletes. Unfortunately, he got hurt last year (shoulder), so it'll be interesting to see how he comes back from that."

• Allen (15 games, 56.2 percentage, 28 touchdowns, 15 interceptions): "He's definitely not as far along as the other two, but he has freakish tools and size and arm strength. He makes flash plays that tell you he has NFL-starting ability. I'm glad he went back to school because he still has room to make another jump. The game will slow down for him and he'll become more of a passer. ... He has a lot of upside. I think he's similar to Mahomes. Mahomes had more experience at a higher level, but this kid is bigger, faster and a better athlete."

2. What about Christian Hackenberg ? The Jets haven't given up on the former second-round pick, who is making some progress, but he's hardly a sure thing. From a scouting perspective, he doesn't have as much upside as Darnold, Rosen and Allen.Toward the end of last season, an unnamed Jets assistant told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Hackenberg "couldn't hit the ocean." The other day, new quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates painted a different picture, saying, "I think he's real accurate. I think he’s throwing the ball well. He’s throwing it on time. Part of accuracy is knowing where to go with the ball, and each day, he plays faster. He gets in a rhythm. And I think everyone in the building is excited to see where he’s going. I think he’s accurate.”Unofficially, Hackenberg completed about 60 percent of his passes in minicamp, but spring stats mean nothing. The first real test in Aug. 12, the preseason opener.

3. History of top picks: Judging from the comments on my Twitter timeline, it seems like most Jets fans are willing to suffer this season if it ensures a potential franchise quarterback in the draft. A word of warning, though: History tells us a high quarterback pick doesn't guarantee a championship.Of the 22 quarterbacks picked in the top five since 2000, only three have played in a Super Bowl -- Cam Newton, Matt Ryan and Eli Manning, the only one to win it. Moral of the story: You need an elite quarterback to contend, but it also takes a strong supporting cast.

4. Wide-receiver jinx: It's tough to be a Jets receiver these days. Consider the rash of injuries that occurred during the offseason program: Devin Smith (torn ACL), ArDarius Stewart (thumb and groin surgery), Quinton Patton (foot surgery), Chad Hansen (knee) and Quincy Enunwa (shoulder/neck).And let's not forget about the off-the-field issues: Jalin Marshall (four-game PED suspension) and Robby Anderson (arrest).Oh, yeah, one more: Their most accomplished receiver, Eric Decker, got fired.

5. Money matters: The Jets still have an important piece of bookkeeping to address before the start of training camp -- Jamal Adams' contract.Adams (No. 6 overall) is one of eight unsigned first-round picks, including four of the top six. Because of the rookie wage scale, it's uncommon for a contract dispute to extend into training camp, although we saw a long and nasty battle last summer between Joey Bosa (No. 4 overall) and the Los Angeles Chargers. Eventually, Adams will land a four-year deal for $22.3 million, fully guaranteed.Adams doesn't seem concerned. He said he's looking forward to his first summer vacation since high school, with getaways to Orlando and out West. He plans to work out daily, adding, "I'm always thinking about football."

6. A true sleeper: After a one-year exile in Cleveland, Demario Davis is revitalized in mind and body. He dropped five pounds in the offseason (down to 240) and swears he's "much faster" than in previous years."I rebuilt my engine," said Davis, the favorite to replace David Harris at middle linebacker.How'd he do that? He credited a "great diet" and a lot of sleep. He believes a proper amount of sleep helps the body recover faster. His nightly goal: 9 1/2 hours. Personally, I'd sign up for that.

7. Praise from a Hall of Famer: In his first interview since being hired, outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene expressed an affinity for rookie Dylan Donahue. He said Donahue "is a hunter. He has a hunter's heart. That's what you need as a player, playing his position -- pass rusher. You have to continue to hunt the quarterback, and he has that. He's wild and he's on the edge, and I like that, too. It's all good."Donahue, a fifth-round pick from Division II West Georgia, got quality reps in minicamp, working with the first-team nickel defense. Greene's praise notwithstanding, the Jets won't know what they truly have in Donahue until they begin contact practices and games. He's a high-motor player, and they tend to stand out in padless practices. The dynamic changes when they start hitting.

8. Breaking: Jets will employ a fullback: They didn't have one last year in Chan Gailey's one-back system, but things will be different under new offensive coordinator Johnny Morton. Not only will they carry a fullback, but they expect him to be good. The candidates are Julian Howsare and Anthony Firkser, an undrafted rookie from Harvard."I'm excited about that position," running backs coach Stump Mitchell said. "It will not be a deterrent, it will not be a letdown. Those guys will get the job done."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69423/way-too-early-look-at-jets-potential-quarterback-saviors-in-18-draft

Chris Godwin wants Jets fans to know they should look forward to the day Christian Hackenberg lines up under center.The Buccaneers’ rookie wide receiver spent much of his college days catching passes from Hackenberg while the two were at Penn State. Now that they are both in the NFL, Godwin sees the Jets signal caller getting an opportunity to shine.

In an interview with Draft Wire, the receiver dished on his college teammate and what he can bring to New York.

When it comes to Hack, I think fans can look forward to a guy that’s gonna be ready every week. He’s gonna keep his head in the playbook and he’s gonna know what he’s doing. I think last year was good for him to really take a year to see how everything works and to get a feel for the things around him. That year off can take a load off of your body while allowing you to mature mentally with the speed of the NFL.

There’s often times that we see a quarterback drafted in the second round and he’s thrust into the starting role, whether he’s ready or not. Hack was fortunate enough to sit and learn since his rookie season was kind of a redshirt year. If he does get the opportunity to start this season, I think Jets fans can look forward to a great quarterback.

Hackenberg dressed just once as a rookie in 2016 — injuries forced the Jets’ hand — but Godwin sees that time on the sidelines benefiting the young QB.Entering training camp this season, Hackenberg, Josh McCown and Bryce Petty are all competing to be the Jets’ starting quarterback. McCown looks like the favorite, but the Jets would love it if their second-round pick from a year ago, Hackenberg, were able to earn the job.

There have been concerns regarding Hackenberg’s accuracy and footwork, but it looks like he has at least one believer in Godwin. Now he just needs to get the Jets and their fans on board.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/27/bucs-chris-godwin-jets-fans-can-look-forward-to-christian-hackenberg/

Today's question: Should the New York Jets open the season with Josh McCown at quarterback because he gives them the best chance to win, or should they bite the bullet and start Christian Hackenberg or Bryce Petty ?

Mike Rodak, Buffalo Bills reporter: Win? The Jets? Good one. There is not a chance the Jets are making the playoffs this year, as evidenced by their decisions to part ways with players who could have actually helped them win. The only sense in starting McCown would be to spare the younger quarterbacks the embarrassment of losing and the shaken confidence that comes with it. The Jets seem to have accepted their fate this season and should be past the stage of feeling shame about it by the time they make a decision about the starting quarterback. Let Hackenberg or Petty try to turn a one- or two-win team into a four- or five-win team; that would be an encouraging season for either.

James Walker, Miami Dolphins reporter: The Jets should go young with Hackenberg or Petty. Of those two, Petty gets my vote by a slim margin, although he didn't show enough last year. I was never big on Hackenberg, dating to his college days at Penn State, and didn't buy into the hype that he would be a good NFL quarterback. So far my projection is correct. Regardless, I don't expect the Jets to follow my suggestion. McCown is the best option in terms of experience and giving the Jets the best chance to win on a weekly basis. That's all that really matters to a head coach, and Todd Bowles has been given enough mountains to climb this season by trying to win with a gutted roster that no longer includes Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker or David Harris. Fans and analysts can think long-term, but Bowles cannot. Look for Bowles to go with the experienced quarterback in a must-win year.

Mike Reiss, New England Patriots reporter: If a franchise doesn't have a quarterback who can run the offense, it puts the entire team at risk and ultimately affects the scouting evaluations of others. That is the foundation on which I answer decisively that McCown should start. Unless Hackenberg and Petty show considerable improvement from 2016, this shouldn't be a difficult decision. McCown at least is a well-established quarterback at this point; I put him in a similar category as Ryan Fitzpatrick. He can get you in and out of the huddle, make some challenging throws, but also can hurt you with mistakes. He also is regarded by many who have played with him as a great teammate.

The Jets obviously are building for the long haul and one of their questions is whether Hackenberg is the long-term answer. The team will know when it is the right time to put him on the field to find that out, but the worst thing management and coach Todd Bowles can do is rush that decision, because players develop at different rates. My sense, from afar, is that the gap between McCown and Hackenberg is significant enough that this won't be much of a debate at the start of the season. Maybe that changes at some point. But for now, McCown is the pick, not only because he is the best the Jets have at the position, but also because his play will help produce a clearer analysis on every other offensive player on the roster.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69461/afc-east-qa-should-the-jets-go-josh-mccown-or-a-young-qb-to-start-the-season

• 2 weeks later...

An optimistic New York Jets fan questions whether early success could affect Christian Hackenberg's development :

#jetsmail Jets could actually start off 3-3 with a serious false sense of "success." Won't this delay the entrance of Sir Hack ?

@RichCimini: Imagine that : A quarterback controversy because the starter is overachieving. That would be so Jets.

You're assuming Josh McCown will be the opening-day starter, and I happen to agree with you even though it's not quite a done deal. You present a fascinating scenario, John, because this could spark an internal struggle that I believe is likely at some point.Presumably, coach Todd Bowles, who needs to win games to keep his job, won't bench McCown if the team is winning. (I'm assuming your 3-3 scenario isn't based on a 3-0 start, because that would change things.) Beyond job security, what kind of message would it send to the locker room if Bowles demotes a productive player?

General manager Mike Maccagnan is looking at the big picture, and he recognizes the importance of playing Hackenberg. Personally, I think Hackenberg needs at least 10 starts to get a fair evaluation.Even though no team should have to apologize for winning, yes, an unexpectedly positive start would create an additional issue and could delay Sir Hack -- if Sir Hack starts the season on the bench. It sounds crazy, but mark my words, this will be an ongoing theme in 2017: present versus future.

You'd like to believe Bowles and Maccagnan, both level-headed men, will be able to tell the difference between charade and reality.

1 hour ago, kelly said:

You'd like to believe Bowles and Maccagnan, both level-headed men, will be able to tell the difference between charade and reality.

I would like to believe it, but they proved incapable two years ago and I don't have a tremendous amount of confidence that anything has changed in that regard. 

News of the New York Jets' roster teardown -- and the likely motive behind it -- has made its way across the country and into the brain of a 20-year-old quarterback who attends college in Los Angeles.

His name is Sam Darnold and, yes, he knows about the unofficial "Suck for Sam" campaign.

"I really don't have any thoughts about that, but I've definitely heard of it," he said Tuesday at ESPN in Bristol, Connecticut, where he was a guest of Michael Smith and Jemele Hill on "The Six."

The USC quarterback admitted he's flattered by the attention ("Yeah, you have to be"), but he seemed a bit uncomfortable with the idea of an NFL team basing its rebuilding plan on the hope of drafting him in 2018."I don't think any team should tank their season because of me," said Darnold, a third-year sophomore who will be draft-eligible for the first time.

Darnold, a Heisman Trophy favorite, is being tabbed as a potential No. 1 overall pick, but there are a couple of ifs.

If he follows his breakout 2016 season with an encore performance.

If he decides to turn pro.

The Jets, searching for a quarterback savior for 40-plus years, will be paying close attention.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69651/is-usc-quarterback-sam-darnold-sending-a-message-to-the-jets

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 14: Josh McCown

Last year’s ranking: Unranked (not on team)

Position: Quarterback

How acquired: Signed a one-year, $6 million contract on March 20

Years left on contract: 1

2017 Salary Cap figure: $6.5 million

Looking back at 2016: The veteran quarterback started three games and played in five for the Browns last year. He went 0-3 as a starter.He began the season behind Robert Griffin III, but took over in Week 2 after Griffin suffered an injury. McCown played decently against the Ravens that week, but broke his left collarbone, which sidelined him for more than a month.

Jets fans got a glimpse of McCown when he returned from that injury on Oct. 30 against their team. He played a great first half, throwing for 228 yards, but only completed 9-of-22 for 113 yards in the second half, and the Jets came back to win. It showed the inconsistency that plagues a journeyman like McCown.He was benched in favor of Cody Kessler after that game, but got one more start on Nov. 27 against the Giants after Kessler got hurt. He completed 25-of-43 for 332 yards and a touchdown against the Giants. When Griffin returned from injury, McCown went back to the bench.

He finished the season completing 90-of-165 passes (54.5 percent) for 1,100 yards, six touchdowns and six interceptions.

Outlook for 2017: Barring a training-camp upset, McCown will be the starter for the Jets when the season begins. The team is having a competition for the job among McCown, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, but McCown is the favorite because of his experience.Some may argue that experience should be a negative. He is 2-20 in his past three seasons as a starter. You could argue the rebuilding Jets would be better served playing one of the young guys to see what they have instead of McCown, who is a known commodity.

Here is why I think McCown ultimately will start the year: Let’s say you open the season with Hackenberg and he struggles in the first four games. Then what? You turn to McCown in Week 5. That won’t generate much excitement inside or outside of the Jets.But if you start the season with McCown and it does not go well early, you can make the switch to Hackenberg and suddenly your locker room and fans get a jolt that might breathe some life into the season.

Even if McCown does start the year, he is a placeholder. Hackenberg will take over at some point. It is a just a question of when.

>     http://nypost.com/2017/07/11/josh-mccown-allows-the-jets-to-postpone-the-excitement/

Breaking down the New York Jets' roster, unit by unit, in preparation for training camp, which begins July 29 :

Position: Quarterback

Projected starter: Josh McCown

Projected reserves: Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty

Notables on the bubble: None

Top storyline: It's the No. 1 storyline on the team -- the quarterback competition. McCown, 38, is the favorite based on his vast experience and ability to manage a game, but it's not a slam dunk. No quarterback who has lost 20 of his last 22 starts can be considered a sure thing. Hackenberg remains in the picture, with Petty in the background. Training camp will be a balancing act for coach Todd Bowles. The biggest priority is to get the starter ready for Week 1, but it's also important to give the young quarterbacks a chance to play, develop and ostensibly compete for the starting job.

Player to watch: Welcome to the spotlight, Christian. The one-year honeymoon is over; it's time to make general manager Mike Maccagnan look smart. Hackenberg took some baby steps in minicamp, but there's still a gap between him and McCown. Consider: Hackenberg has yet to face a starting defense in a game situation. He played 76 preseason snaps last summer, all of them against backups. In the regular season ... well, you know the deal there. He didn't see any game action. His biggest challenge in camp will be mastering an offense that doesn't suit his skill set. The West Coast offense requires pinpoint accuracy and quick reads. The system is predicated on the quarterback being able to work through his progressions -- 1, 2, 3 -- while staying in rhythm with the flow of the play. That takes time and experience.

Wild card: With only one practice per day, it's virtually impossible to have a legitimate three-way competition, which means Petty could be the odd-man out. His roster spot isn't secure, so he'll need to show improvement to stick around.

Training camp will be a success if ... Hackenberg wins the job. No disrespect to McCown -- a well-liked, team-first player -- but the organization will be in better shape if Hackenberg proves he's worthy of the starting job. The sooner he lands the top spot under center, the better it will be for the overall rebuilding of the team. But this can't be a giveaway; he needs to earn the gig. The notion that Hackenberg should be handed the starting job because he might be the answer is ludicrous. If they do that and he stinks, the entire offense will stink, stunting the development of the young players around him. This isn't 2009, when the Jets' supporting cast was strong enough to overcome the rookie struggles of Mark Sanchez. It also would drain every ounce of suspense out of the season.

By the numbers: Over the last three seasons, McCown has a 2-20 starting record, 29 touchdowns, 24 interceptions and a league-low 45.4 Total QBR (among 33 qualified quarterbacks), per ESPN Stats & Information. Looking for a positive? He's a decent intermediate passer. On throws of 11 to 20 yards, he ranks 16th in Total QBR (82.9).

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69481/best-case-scenario-christian-hackenberg-wins-jets-quarterback-job

Kirk Cousins and the Washington Redskins failed to hammer out a long-term contract by Monday's deadline, and that could be a good thing for the New York Jets in 2018.

When you're desperate for a long-term answer at quarterback, it helps to have as many options as possible.With at least $80 million in projected salary-cap space next offseason, the Jets will have enough flexibility to make an aggressive run at Cousins if he becomes an unrestricted free agent, which seems likely after two years of failed negotiations and the prohibitive cost of using the franchise tag for a third straight year ($34.5 million).

Frankly, I'd be surprised if the starting-over Jets invest a massive amount of money in an older player -- Cousins will be 30 by the start of the '18 season -- but you never know what might transpire over the course of the year. As of now, the 2018 draft, which could be loaded with stud quarterbacks, appears to be the internal preference if things don't work out with Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. It certainly would be more cost-effective than doling out a $60 million guarantee (likely more) for a veteran.

There's also the significant matter of whether Cousins would even consider the Jets. He has no connection to the current coaching staff or front office, so it would be a leap into foreign territory. The San Francisco 49ers would be the heavy favorite, as their new coach, Kyle Shanahan, was his offensive coordinator in 2012 and 2013. They seem like an ideal match. The 49ers, too, have a ton of cap room.

Ah, but the Jets would benefit from a Cousins-to-San Francisco scenario because it would remove a quarterback-hungry team from the top of the '18 draft -- i.e. one fewer team coveting Sam Darnold or Josh Allen.One slot in the draft can mean everything; it can be the difference between a franchise quarterback and an ill-advised decision. The Jets, of all teams, know this. See: Brett Favre and Browning Nagle, 1991.If not the Redskins, someone will sign Cousins next year, starting a trickle-down that will affect the teams that don't.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69696/kirk-cousins-fallout-could-impact-jets-long-term-quarterback-plan

Jets' Josh McCown vows to be 'a dang good bridge' QB

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  

Long-suffering fans of the New York Jets are bracing themselves for an autumn disaster.After watching the team cut bait with nearly every trusted veteran on the roster -- Eric Decker, David Harris, Brandon Marshall, Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and more -- expectations are grim.

Just don't tell that to Josh McCown.

The 38-year-old journeyman refuted the idea that he's nothing more than a "bridge" quarterback brought on to guide teammates through a lost season."As a competitor, your first reaction is, 'Well, I'm not a bridge and, if that's the case, I'm gonna be a dang good bridge,'" McCown said on Thursday's edition of Mike and Mike on ESPN. "So, for me, I understand the role that I'm in and I'm excited to come in and compete and help our team win."Toiling for the Bucs and Browns, McCown generated a 2-20 record over the past three seasons. Last year's Cleveland club was dangerously low on talent, but this Jets team, on paper, looks even more lost.

McCown is New York's best option under center, but we're bound to see Bryce Petty and the enigmatic Christian Hackenberg also make starts for a team that has drawn accusations of overtly tanking in hopes of landing the No. 1 pick in next year's draft -- and the quarterback of its choice."It's hard to argue [with] that," wideout Quincy Enunwa recently said on the "tank" theory, "when everybody else sees all the stuff that's going on."

McCown's job, though, is to happily lead this Jets team into the fray -- even if the battle already looks lost.

video..

>    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000820945/article/jets-josh-mccown-vows-to-be-a-dang-good-bridge-qb

Two decades later, could Sam Darnold jilt Jets by pulling a Peyton ?

After a short hiatus, the New York Jets mailbag is back. Naturally, our question of the week involves the quarterback position.

Should we be worried about the darnold story whereas he's amenable to staying in school? Feels like peyton deja-vu... #jetsmail

@RichCimini: In fact, this is the 20-year anniversary of the Peyton Manning blow-off. Diehard fans will recall the Jets had the No. 1 overall pick in 1997, but they never got a chance to consider Manning because he decided to stay in school. Maybe it would've turned out differently if Bill Parcells had promised Archie Manning that he'd pick his son -- they had two conversations before Peyton's decision -- but Parcells made no such guarantee, citing the league's anti-tampering rules. I always found that amusing. Since when did Parcells, who flirted with the Jets while under contract with the New England Patriots, worry about bending the rules?

Fast-forward to the present: We've already seen stories that Sam Darnold might stay at USC instead of declaring for the 2018 draft. He's staying. He's going. He's staying. He's going. The stories and the speculation will continue into January, when he'll have to make a decision. My advice to Jets fans: Don't get caught up in it because it will drive you mad. You'll have enough agita from the season, so there's no point in fretting over the whims of a 20-year-old quarterback.

Chances are it won't be a Darnold-or-bust draft. I talked to an AFC scout who believes Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen has better long-term potential than Darnold, who has attracted most of the attention because he plays for an iconic football school. With the New York and Los Angeles media markets tracking him, there's a chance Darnold will be overhyped, distorting his true NFL potential. The good news for the Jets is they probably will have other options if they wind up with the top pick and want a quarterback.

And another thing : If Darnold completes his season and is informed by advisers he could be the No. 1 overall pick, it would be a major upset if he stays in school. Yeah, he could buy an insurance policy to cover some of the injury risk, but would he walk away from a guaranteed contract worth north of $30 million? Doubt it. Sure, Peyton did it, but he was a rare bird. Maybe I have a myopic view, but what college star wouldn't relish a chance to play in the New York market for a quarterback-starved franchise?

If Darnold pulls a Peyton, yeah, it would be typical Jets luck. On the bright side, Peyton's son, Marshall, could be draft-eligible in 2031.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69800/two-decades-later-could-sam-darnold-jilt-jets-by-pulling-a-peyton

With vacation over, let's take a look at what's happening around the New York Jets, who report to training camp on Friday :

1. No Joshing around: Josh McCown has said all the right things since signing with the Jets, which is what you'd expect from a player with a sterling reputation as a team-first guy, but don't be fooled into thinking he'd be content to sit on the bench. He's a fiery competitor and wants to play. In a phone interview, I asked McCown if he expects to be the Week 1 starter.

"Yeah," he said. "All of our expectations should be that way. I'm no different. I came here because I had an opportunity to compete for the job, so that's my expectation -- to go out and play the best football that I've ever played and help this team win football games."It'll be McCown versus Christian Hackenberg versus Bryce Petty in training camp. McCown doesn't know how the reps will be divided, but he suspects it'll be similar to the offseason practices -- an even split.

McCown, 38, is the favorite because of his experience, which he believes gives him an edge over the two young passers."Obviously, any time you're in a situation where you have this much more experience than the other guys, you should have an advantage," he said. "But, at the same time, we're all in this thing together and it's a new offense. We're all learning it. I thought this spring was very beneficial for us and I think training camp will be where we can take it to another level."

McCown's goal is to be the quarterback he was in 2013, his signature season. Playing for the Chicago Bears, he replaced an injured Jay Cutler and compiled a 13-1 touchdown/interception ratio. Stylistically, there are parallels between the two offenses, he said. He likes that."Hopefully, I'll be able to play at a similar level that I played at when I was there," he said. "That's my mindset."

Too bad he doesn't have his old friends from Chicago, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Martellus Bennett.

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69797/jets-josh-mccown-eager-to-turn-back-clock-win-starting-job

-- If the New York Jets adopt an "us-against-the-world" mentality this season, the breakdown would look something like this:

Pro-Jets: 53.

World: 7.5 billion.

No one believes the Jets will contend for anything other than the No. 1 pick in 2018, as outside expectations have plummeted to an all-time low. The players don't live in caves; they're aware of the gloom-and-doom forecasts."Everybody is saying 'tanking' and all that stuff," Matt Forte said this week. "A lot of people are jumping ship before the season even starts, but I welcome that. All y'all can jump ship if you want to. It shows us you were never on board in the first place. ... We don't care what anybody else says. It's about us."

It all starts Friday, when players report to training camp.

Key questions :

1. Does Christian Hackenberg have a chance to be the opening-day starter ? I wouldn't bet your personal seat license on it, but it's not out of the question. He narrowed the gap with a somewhat encouraging offseason, but he still has to win the trust of the coaching staff and his teammates. The only way he can do that is to perform at a high level in actual games -- i.e. the first two preseason contests. It makes total sense to start Hackenberg in the preseason opener; there's no reason not to. It'll help the overall rebuilding effort if he outplays Josh McCown and earns the job -- no freebies -- but coach Todd Bowles tends to err on the side of the veteran when it comes to positional battles.

2. Does Bryce Petty have a shot ? Not really. The Jets may not present it this way, but it's difficult to have a legitimate, three-way competition at quarterback. There's simply not enough practice reps to go around. Petty missed his chance last season, and now he'll have to be content to ride the bench.

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69834/what-christian-hackenberg-must-do-to-win-jets-starting-job

-- When it comes to the quarterback competition, coach Todd Bowles won't say when, he won't say how and he certainly won't say who.The only thing he'll acknowledge is he will name a starter.No, that statement won't knock the New York Yankees off the back pages.The popular choice -- at least among the fan base -- is Christian Hackenberg. You can sense the groundswell: What the heck, why not Hack? The reasoning behind it: The New York Jets are rebuilding, and the quarterback position should be included ASAP.

That, folks, is flawed logic.

No player, especially a quarterback, should be gifted a starting position, regardless of the team's outlook. When Bowles makes his decision between Hackenberg, Josh McCown and Bryce Petty, he should pick the best player for Week 1, not the guy who might be the best in Week 8.If Hackenberg outplays McCown and Petty in the preseason and demonstrates a veteran-like aptitude for the position, then by all means make him the opening-day starter. We all know the Jets aren't going anywhere with McCown, so the quicker the transition occurs, the better. But there's no point in rushing Hackenberg. It's a long season and there will be plenty of time to evaluate him before next year's quarterback-laden draft.

Simply put, he has to earn it. Here's why :

1. It would make a mockery of Bowles' meritocracy if he hands the job to a player who isn't ready. He's trying to rebuild the culture, and it would send a bad message to the locker room if he anoints an undeserving player. Outside expectations notwithstanding, the players want to win ... now. It also would create the perception that management is pulling the strings, usurping Bowles' power.

2. They must protect Hackenberg's confidence. He arrived last year as a broken quarterback, his psyche frayed after a difficult finish to his career at Penn State. Wisely, the Jets sat him for the year, affording him the chance to re-boot in a stress-free situation. They can't risk a backslide by playing him before he's ready from a mental standpoint. Let's not forget, the first two games are on the road (Buffalo and Oakland) in hostile environments that will be tough on any quarterback, let alone a neophyte playing with an inexperienced receiving corps.

3. They can't jeopardize the development of the offense for the sake of one position, albeit the most important position.They have a new scheme and coordinator, John Morton, whose job is to integrate his system and develop talent, especially at skill positions. If the quarterback is shaky -- i.e. if he can't recognize a blitz and throw to a hot read -- it will stunt the growth of the entire offense. How can they evaluate Robby Anderson and Austin Seferian-Jenkins if the quarterback can't get them the ball? Unless Hackenberg displays uncommon poise in the preseason, the feeling here is McCown is the better choice to build that foundation on offense.

4. Why rush it? The Jets don't need a 16-game sample to form an evaluation of Hackenberg; it can be done with at least eight starts. Some have suggested it would be a blow for the organization if he's not good enough to beat out a 38-year-old journeyman -- and there is some truth to that -- but it would be a bigger downer if he starts the season and gets benched after a few games. Then what?

In the end, Bowles should base his decision on this criterion: The best guy plays.

You can't go wrong with that philosophy.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69948/it-makes-no-sense-to-rush-christian-hackenberg-if-hes-not-ready

-- The New York Jets' quarterback competition is on.

After three days, Christian Hackenberg has proven he's not the same tentative, scatter-armed rookie who stunk up the field in training camp last summer. It's too early to say he has closed the gap on Josh McCown -- Monday was the first practice in pads -- but he has narrowed it.

A look at the competition, which also includes Bryce Petty.

JOSH McCOWN

Wow moment: There weren't any real "wow" moments, as McCown relied heavily on check-down passes. He didn't take many shots downfield. Later, coach Todd Bowles explained, saying McCown stayed underneath because the defense played a lot of zone.

Whoa moment: In a 7-on-7 period, McCown double pumped, but the ball came out of his hand and went directly to the ground. It cost him an easy completion and he was clearly mad at himself.

CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG

Once again, he was the second-man up in the rotation, which hasn't varied. Hackenberg got just as many reps as McCown (22), but none came with the starters. He held the ball too long on a few plays, but he also demonstrated the best arm strength of the three. This was a solid day for Hackenberg (9-for-15, two drops), who has yet to throw an interception in three practices.

Wow moment: He hit Lucky Whitehead on an intermediate crossing route for big yards. It was a touch/timing throw, the kind of pass he'll need to master if he wants to succeed in their West Coast offense.

Whoa moment: Hackenberg was pulled out of a 7-on-7 period, apparently because he messed up a play or a formation at the line of scrimmage. A couple of minutes later, he zipped a long completion to Deshon Foxx on a skinny post. Such is life with a young quarterback -- some good, some bad.

BRYCE PETTY

Petty's rep count dropped off considerably (only nine). One-day aberration or the start of a trend? Bowles has refused to give any details about his overall plan, but there appears to be separation between McCown/Hackenberg and Petty.

Wow moment: Sorry, nothing on Monday.

Whoa moment: He ended practice with three straight incompletions.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69985/christian-hackenberg-shows-progress-three-practices-no-picks

Things are going to be a lot different on the offensive side of the ball for the New York Jets in 2017.

Not only are veterans like Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Ryan Fitzpatrick, but so is offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.In Gailey’s tenure with the Jets, the team employed a spread offense, which featured a lot of empty sets, even in short yardage situations. Gailey’s offense was a disaster in 2016 and it will be on new offensive coordinator John Morton to right the ship with the West Coast offense.The West Coast offense is essentially the complete opposite of Gailey’s spread system. With Morton and the West Coast offense, there will be a lot of shorter routes being run by the wide receivers and Morton’s scheme even features the return of a fullback to the Jets offense.

A new offense is certainly a refreshing sight for Jets fans after witnessing Gailey’s offense implode throughout 2016, but it’s not easy on the quarterbacks.It is easier for veteran Josh McCown, who has worked in a West Coast offense, but not so much for Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.In the case of Hackenberg, he spent all of his rookie year learning a system just to have to learn a new one in his second year. For Petty, he has been a spread quarterback since his days at Baylor, so the West Coast offense is basically a foreign concept to him.

McCown and Hackenberg both noted after practice on Tuesday that learning the verbage has been the most important aspect of getting a grasp of the system and how to run it the way Morton wants it to be run.“People joke about it being kind of like a new language and there’s degrees of that,” McCown said. “You’re learning words that have meanings to different things that maybe were different than what they meant last year for you. It takes a lot of work.”Part of that work is learning how to smoothly rattle off 10-12 word playcalls in the huddle with confidence. According to Hackenberg, taking reps is the way to go when it comes to getting that part of the West Coast offense down.

“It’s one of those things that you have to keep doing,” Hackenberg said. “You have to keep taking reps at it, keep hearing it and keep saying it.”

All of the Jets quarterbacks should have the kinks worked out by time camp comes to an end, but until then, there is still work to be done in order to perfect Morton’s offense by Week 1.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/03/jets-quarterbacks-continue-to-learn-west-coast-offense-as-training-camp-progresses/

-- When Christian Hackenberg receives a playcall from the sideline, it could sound something like this :

"Blast to Joker right 'X' motion 372 'R' Slant spacing."

It's a base pass play in Jon Gruden's version of the West Coast offense, known for its complicated verbiage. He taught the system years ago to New York Jetsoffensive coordinator John Morton, who introduced it to the team in April.

Hello, crash course.

Veteran quarterbacks say it takes years to master the West Coast offense. Some have complained, claiming it takes too long to receive the play and relay it to the huddle. The Jets are hoping Hackenberg -- in his fourth offensive system in the past five years -- can learn it well enough to play this season.Mentally, it's an enormous challenge, particularly since Morton hasn't streamlined it. He's installing the system in its original form, which means a giant playbook and a lot of memorization.

"You have to keep getting reps at it, hearing it, saying and spitting it back out," Hackenberg said.

The well-traveled Josh McCown, 38, who has played in just about every system known to man, said the West Coast offense is "like learning a new language." He said the average playcall is 10 to 12 words, which means they're longer than some of Todd Bowles' news conference answers. Every word and every number has a specific meaning, covering the formation, motions/shifts and pass-protection schemes. Mess up one syllable, and you ruin the entire play.

The Jets' quarterbacks -- McCown, Hackenberg and Bryce Petty -- drill each other on the verbiage. Not only do they want to memorize the playcalls, but their goal is to repeat them with conviction.

"[You] want to rattle that out smoothly, where the guys in the huddle believe in what we’re talking about," McCown said.

League insiders think McCown has the edge in the Jets' quarterback competition, in large part, because of his background in this offense. He has played in variations of the West Coast offense, which is a new world for Hackenberg and Petty.Former NFL quarterback Jim Miller has a unique perspective because he played under Gruden (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and former Jets coordinator Chan Gailey (Pittsburgh Steelers). Miller said there's little similarity between the two systems, one of the reasons why he favors McCown in the competition."I think it will be McCown, I really believe that," said Miller, who co-hosts a SiriusXM NFL radio show with Pat Kirwan. "He gives them their best chance to win. He knows that offense, inside and out. Let the young guys learn from him."

Miller, who visited the Jets this week on his training-camp tour, was kind enough to give a detailed breakdown of the playcall: Blast to Joker right "X" motion 372 "R" Slant spacing. If you like Xs and Os, you'll enjoy this.

Blast: The type of shift.

Joker right: The final formation after the shift. In this case, a running back shifts out of the backfield and splits out wide right.

X motion: The X receiver motions across the formation from weak to strong.

372: This is the protection. Gruden called it Jet 2 (right) or Jet 3 (left). Miller used a numerical code. It's 372 because the play requires a three-step drop by the quarterback and "72" is the protection, with the line sliding toward the weakside linebacker. The line is responsible for the four-man line, plus the Will linebacker -- a 5-on-5 situation.

R Slant: After shifting, the running back runs a slant route.

How the play unfolds : The remaining running back reads the middle linebacker and strongside linebacker. If they both rush, the quarterback is a blocker short and must throw quickly to his best matchup. The tight end runs a five-yard hook. The X receiver, after motioning across the formation, runs a flat route. The Z receiver hooks at five yards.Mind you, this is only one play. There are hundreds in Morton's playbook, and each one has variations because of different formations. This is a small sample of what's spinning in Hackenberg's brain when he steps into the huddle, and he must convince 10 other players he knows what he's doing."You want to convey that, 'Hey, I'm in control of this ship and I understand what's going on,'" Miller said. "That's command, that's huddle presence, that's conviction. Make those players believe in you."

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70060/will-jets-complex-offense-slow-christian-hackenbergs-progress

-- If the New York Jets are serious about giving Christian Hackenberg a legit shot at the quarterback job, they should shake up the practice rotation this week and let him start the first preseason game.

So far, they don't appear serious about it.

Through seven training camp practices, Hackenberg has worked almost exclusively with the second-team offense, ahead of Bryce Petty and behind Josh McCown, who has been handled like the presumptive starter.

There has been no rotation, not even split of the reps. This quarterback competition is as open as a bank on Sunday.

The time to give Hackenberg some work with the starters was the first week of camp, when they were experimenting with personnel and moving people around. This week, they will cut back on that and start focusing on a set lineup, according to coach Todd Bowles.It sounds like things will remain status quo at quarterback.From all indications, the Jets are grooming Hackenberg to start the season as the No. 2 quarterback. Perhaps they want to build him up gradually and let his confidence grow before throwing him into the fire. If that's the game plan, that's not how they sold it to the public. They presented it as an open competition.

OK, let's not quibble over semantics.

If Bowles starts McCown on Saturday night against the Tennessee Titans -- it's trending in that direction -- he should pull him after a series and hand the game to Hackenberg. They know what McCown can and can't do; they need to get a long look at Hackenberg. Let him play until the fourth quarter. Heaven knows, he needs the game experience. His NFL resume consists of 76 preseason snaps last summer, all of them against backups and backups to the backups.

Hackenberg is coming off an encouraging outing in the Green & White scrimmage this past Saturday night at MetLife Stadium, where he made his best throw of camp. Sensing pressure, he stepped up in the pocket and fired a 25-yard touchdown to rookie tight end Jordan Leggett, fitting the ball through a tight window."It was awesome. It was a heck of a throw," McCown said. "I think those are some of the things that get you excited about Hack. ... To step up and avoid the rush like he did and then to deal one in there, showing his arm talent and his accuracy, that’s why he was drafted where he was and what gets you excited about him."Hackenberg completed 3 of 5 passes for 45 yards in the scrimmage. McCown (8-for-13, 114 yards) threw a long touchdown to Chris Harper, but he also was intercepted by rookie safety Marcus Maye, who returned it for a touchdown. Petty (4-for-12, 45 yards) led the third-team offense to a field goal to end the night.

Other things to watch for this week :

The Jets self-described three-way open quarterback competition has been nothing of the sort through a peculiar training camp that has prompted fair questions about a mysterious plan at the most pivotal position.

Todd Bowles has tried to sell the idea that Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty will each have a fair opportunity to win the starting job, but only dye in the wool Kool-Aid guzzlers would buy that at the moment.McCown has worked almost exclusively with the starters through the first eight practices, while Hackenberg has taken second-team reps.The Jets tweaked their rotation on Monday by giving Hackenberg six consecutive snaps with the first team in 11-on-11 drills on Monday, his most extensive work with the starters. The second-year signal-caller completed one pass on a quick hitter and was “sacked” in three drop backs. In other words, the results were inconclusive.Petty has picked up the scraps in practice with guys who will working 9-to-5s next month, exposing the truth about his chances: He’s Milton, toiling in the basement with his stapler. He won’t be the Week 1 starter. (Now let’s just hope he doesn’t burn the whole damn place to ground after being marginalized).

It was supposed to be The Summer of Hack, a critical time to fully evaluate Mike Maccagnan’s second-round pick from a year ago, before the organization determines whether they’ll go all-in for Sam Darnold, Josh Allen or Josh Rosen in the 2018 draft.Bowles insists that “we don’t have a starter,” yet McCown has received the starter treatment to this point. Maccagnan maintains that “they’re all going to have their opportunities,” but every objective observer can see that Hackenberg has not yet received a fair chance to prove what he can do with the first team before the first preseason game against the Titans this weekend.Although Hackenberg still has time this summer to impress the organization, the team’s plan early in camp has been puzzling. It’s unfair to call it a full-fledged charade, because there still is time for Hackenberg to get chances later in camp, but the brain trust’s path remains unclear.Bowles said that there is no timetable for declaring a starter – he wouldn’t go so far as even declaring a starter for the preseason opener -- but logic suggests that a decision should be made in the run-up to the third preseason game against the Giants on Aug. 26.Bowles said last week that he would re-allocate the reps “when (Hackenberg and/or Petty) start to impress me.”

So, what exactly does Hackenberg need to do to impress him?

“He has to play,” Bowles said Monday. “No different than Josh. No different than Bryce. They got to play. After a week of training camp, I’m not going to be too impressed. You get smarter. You do the right things and take the right reads, but until we play preseason games and the process goes on, we’re going to be in evaluation mode.”Bowles said it’s “possible” that Hackenberg could be more integrated with the starters throughout this week.“We’ll rotate and evaluate (the quarterbacks) as we see fit,” the head coach said.No matter which signal caller wins the job, he’ll have to work with an already suspect wide receiving corps that took a hit with the news that the team’s leading returning pass catcher, Quincy Enunwa, is out for the season with a bulging disc in his neck that flared up in practice over the weekend.

It sure isn’t good news for Hackenberg, who has had predictable ebbs and flows in camp.

The good : He has been interception-free in 11-on-11 team drills.

The bad : He’s taken too many sacks.

The ugly : Even at 6-4, 228 pounds, he’ll be banged up beyond recognition if he isn’t more decisive in the pocket.

Hackenberg is still learning, but there are encouraging flashes. He exhibited poise, functional mobility and accuracy on a 25-yard touchdown pass to rookie tight end Jordan Leggett in the team’s scrimmage at MetLife Stadium on Saturday.Hackenberg’s education will extend beyond camp and the preseason, of course, but it was a promising moment. Remember: He’s been taking reps with a collection of inexperienced journeyman or undrafted pass catchers, who haven’t exactly been consistently winning their one-on-one matchups with cornerbacks.How can the brain trust fully and fairly evaluate Hackenberg when he’s not playing enough with or against the best talent on the roster?It’s no surprise that a 38-year-old quarterback with 13 more years of experience would exhibit better command of the offense, but the organization’s top priority in this rebuilding season must be extracting the best out of Hackenberg.The sentiment on One Jets Drive is that new quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates already has done wonders with Hackenberg in their few short months together, but there’s no real rush to get the second-year signal caller under center for the season opener.

Bottom line : The Jets owe it to themselves to give Hackenberg at least an 8-10 game sample size this season.There are pros and cons to starting Hackenberg at Buffalo in Week 1, but the powers that be should not force the issue if he’s not ready.

Of course, how will they actually know that if he’s not given more practice time with the starters? 

>      http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/hackenberg-not-fair-chance-win-jets-qb-competition-article-1.3390703

The legend of Christian Hackenberg has spun out of control in this information-hungry world that craves every nugget, no matter how irrelevant or incorrect it might be.

Remember, Hackenberg was a crazy, wild man a few months ago, supposedly plunking innocent scribes off in the distance with out-of-control passes. It's a wonder that such overblown nonsense didn't mushroom into a larger fable: Hey, I heard Hack side-swiped some poor old lady crossing the street in Morristown with an errant throw.The latest tall tale from a blurb on the electronic superhighway erroneously claimed Hackenberg was sent off the field after a gaffe at a recent practice. Fantasy, of course, is much more appealing than reality.

The truth ?

New offensive coordinator John Morton wanted the second-year signal caller to sharpen his command in the huddle during a passing drill. It was a teaching moment for the fiery new offensive coordinator. Hackenberg took about five steps back and watched Bryce Petty step in. Moments later, Hackenberg got another chance and fired a bullet for a completion. He never came close to leaving the field.Such is life these days for the most scrutinized football player in New York/New Jersey. So much is overblown.I was critical of the curious plan for Hackenberg in the first week of training camp. The Jets, however, believe they've chosen the proper path by easing him along.

So, why hasn't Hackenberg received more first-team practice reps with the starters? (He worked with the backups in the first 8 of 11 practices.)

The top priority is to gradually build Hackenberg's confidence, according to team insiders.The thinking is simple: If Hackenberg can bank some good plays against the second-team defense, it will propel him to the next step in his education. Morton and quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates want Hackenberg to stack those moments to help prepare him for an upgrade in competition. So, the two coaches set forth a relatively conservative plan to bring him along.The last thing the organization wanted or needed is for Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson and Mo Wilkerson to crush the young quarterback's soul by making life miserable for him at the outset of training camp.There's a fine line between learning from your mistakes in practice and shattering your confidence because of those errors.

Before armchair psychologists chime in with the predictable "fragile psyche" narratives, consider that Hackenberg was sacked 103 times in 38 college games, including 82 times in his final two seasons behind a patchwork offensive line that included converted defensive linemen.Hackenberg is the ultimate work in progress. Mistakes are inevitable. And practice is a time to learn from those mistakes.Blowing those mistakes out of proportion is tempting for observers, but the organization doesn't have its collective head in the sand, either.The brain trust is fully aware that it has to make a full and fair evaluation of Hackenberg by season's end, but the Jets will absolutely not rush his development to force him under center by Week 1 at Buffalo if he's not ready. They shouldn't rush his development, because the results — for everyone — could be disastrous.

As of now, the Jets don't believe that Hackenberg is ready to start the season opener.

The prevailing sentiment on One Jets Drive is that he is still holding on to the ball too long. He needs to read defenses faster so that he can make quicker decisions, according to people in the know.He's taken entirely too many "sacks" in 11-on-11 practice sessions to this point. (He's also holding it too long in 7-on-7 passing drills from time to time.)Life is great wearing a red no-contact jersey in practice — it's easier to hold on to the ball a tick or two longer when there's no threat of bodily harm — but the Jets brain trust has legitimate concerns that Hackenberg will be a sitting duck who will inevitably get hurt in games if he doesn't speed up his decision-making in the pocket.There's also a belief that Hackenberg has taken Morton's directive of taking care of the football to the extreme. It's a fair concern within the organization. Remember, Greg McElroy was concussed after getting sacked 11 times in his lone career start once upon a time. McElroy was so worried about not throwing an interception that he simply held on to the ball too long in a loss to the Chargers in 2012.

Playing turnover-free football obviously has its privileges, but there's a faction on One Jets Drive that thought Hackenberg was overly concerned with his streak of nine consecutive practices without an interception.There's no need to overreact though. There aren't warring factions in the building. It's simply a part of the maturation process of a young quarterback. Clarity comes by calming down.

So, Bates is helping Hackenberg adopt the clear mindset to throw the ball away rather than take a sack.

Hackenberg has had his challenges setting and/or adjusting protections at the line of scrimmage from time to time too, according to insiders. He struggled with it when he took a handful of snaps with the starters recently. The lack of an experienced center has really hurt Hackenberg in that area.Nick Mangold was invaluable during Mark Sanchez's rookie season as an extra set of eyes to identify pre-snap land mines. Hackenberg could sure use that, too.An inexperienced wide receiving corps further complicates the quarterback's evaluation.The Jets plan includes significant playing time for Hackenberg in the preseason, including the opener against the Titans this weekend. The hope is that he'll build some confidence and graduate to the next level.

No matter what happens, there will be no shortage of praise or panic.

>      http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-feel-christian-hackenberg-article-1.3400087

Archived