Morris Claiborne ~ ~ ~

kelly

After testing the nerve-wracking free agent waters for the first time in his career, Jets cornerback Morris Claiborneicon-article-link.gif said head athletic trainer John Mellody was a key part of why he signed with team.

“I just fell in love with the training staff, the things that they do and the options they give you to be able to take care of your body,” he said in an interview with senior team reporter and team insider Eric Allen. “They really care about you as a person.”The six-year-veteran has battled injuries throughout his career, most of which have been described by head coach Todd Bowles as freak accidents.

“It’s just been a lot of things that have happened where you ask yourself where that came from,” Claiborne said. “Even though you felt like you’ve done everything in your power to be ready for the upcoming season and stay healthy, you just have things that happen to you.”The LSU product believes he played his best ball last year in large part because of his newly regimented offseason workouts with a trainer who took him to "a whole new level of being pro-ready." In seven games in 2016, the 5’11”, 192-pounder registered five pass defenses and one interception. Unofficially, according to Pro Football Focus he allowed a 63.0 paser rating while limiting opposing receivers to a 51.9% catch rate, which ranked ninth and 11th respectively among NFL corners.

Outside of the training staff, Claiborne signed with the Green & White because of his fit in Bowles’ scheme as a press corner. “It’s a lot of man-to-man,” he said. “It takes a lot of thinking out of the game. You can just play football and I like that. Ever since college, that’s the type of player that I’ve been. I feel like when I’m at my best, I’m going out there playing man-to-man. When I’m healthy, I can take a whole side of the football field away.”

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Morris-Claiborne-Why-I-Signed-with-the-Jets/e64d3cee-0d90-4b87-ae97-62dc612306ae

Yea...super excited to see a corner who has never played 16 games in a season with his highest being 15 his rookie year with 4 career interceptions being on an island. He better hope one of the 15 safeties on the field has his back.

24 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yea...super excited to see a corner who has never played 16 games in a season with his highest being 15 his rookie year with 4 career interceptions being on an island. He better hope one of the 15 safeties on the field has his back.

..i believe there is MORE than one reason why we drafted 4 db's in the draft   :rolleyes:

The first week of organized team activities is over but Morris Claiborne is really feeling himself.

Over his five-year career, Claiborne has rarely seen the field due to injuries. After being selected by the Cowboys sixth overall in 2012, Claiborne has missed 33 regular seasons game, only appearing in 47 of a possible 80 contests. His injuries have ranged from recurring knee and shoulder ailments to hamstring, ankle and groin injuries.

Claiborne has rarely been healthy, but when he is he’s been solid. Entering 2017, he believes he can be the No.1 cornerback in the NFL if he just stays on the field.“I feel like I can be the No. 1 corner in this league if I’m healthy … when I’m healthy,” Claiborne told the New York Post. “When I’m out there playing and I’m healthy and I’m on my game, I don’t feel like there is anybody better than me.”

That’s a big if.

Claiborne’s health is a big reason why he ended up with the Jets. He signed a one-year, $5 million dollar contract with New York this offseason after injuries hampered his time in Dallas.Last season, Claiborne appeared in seven games for the Cowboys, racking up 26 tackles. According to Pro Football Focus, Claiborne allowed a 63 percent passer rating and opposing receivers were limited to a 51.9 percent catch rate in 2016, which ranked ninth and 11th, respectively, among NFL corners. However, keep in mind it was a shortened season.

It is clear that when Claiborne is healthy he is a very good corner. The best corner in the league? That might not be as crazy as it sounds.Claiborne has potential but needs to stay healthy for a full season, which is something he has yet to do in his career.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/29/jets-cb-morris-claiborne-believes-he-can-be-nfls-best-if-healthy/

• 4 months later...

FWIW, I am betting that Nelson spends some time on the field playing slot.  Undersized slot guy out of Arizona State that has played for the Browns, Cards, and Texans and was on the Pats practice squad earlier in the year.  Supposedly did a good job on Cooks in college.  Some of the draft reports had him at FS, but I have only read about him playing slot in the NFL. 

• 1 month later...

-- The New York Jets Jets' young secondary -- so young you wonder if some of them shave more than twice a week -- do not refer to teammate Morris Claiborne as pops, grandpa or wise old man.

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/73140/morris-claiborne-enjoying-role-as-leader-of-jets-secondary

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, kelly said:

Morris Claiborne Postgame 1-on-1

Jets CB Speaks Senior Reporter Eric Allen in the Locker Room Following the Broncos Loss

video..

That interview was the only 1-on-1 match-up he managed not to get burnt on yesterday.

Archived