ok 2 scenarios

4HCrew

If the Jets end up 7-9 or 8-8 after being 7-5 is the season still considered a success? or does the individual improvement of players as well as implementing new systems and getting experience in them override game results?

8-8 is tolerable. 7-9 would be a 4 game losing streak to end the season, that sounds like a collapse. Although strides were certainly made in the right direction this year, ending the season like that would make people believe that the early season success was merely a mirage.

8-8 is tolerable. 7-9 would be a 4 game losing streak to end the season, that sounds like a collapse. Although strides were certainly made in the right direction this year, ending the season like that would make people believe that the early season success was merely a mirage.

co-sign

while losing 4 straight would bother me to no end. If you look at the overall picture the Jets did alot better then I think alot of thought they would.

Now it will become a matter of putting pieces in the right place.

RB

CB

Power rusher at DE

QB ?

OL

There is still alot of areas that need to be improved but overall I am ecstatic at the direction this team appears to be headed.

I agree. The only exception would be if you could pin the collapse on one player. If we can truly blame the whole 4 game skid on him then I don't see it as a total disaster and he'll probably be gone next year. Another "acceptable" would be if they pull Penny and put in Clemens who struggles but shows signs of life and improves as he goes on. A 7-9 record for the season wouldn't be so bad, but the streak to end needs a rational excuse or it's just a trainwreck.

Jets would have been 7-9 or 8-8 last year if Pennington hadn't gotten hurt. This is for the most part the same team player-wise that it was at the beginning of last year plus Pennington has stayed healthy. You couple that with the soft schedule playing teams like the Lions, Texans and Packers almost every week and anything less than 7 wins would have been underachievement. Only win that was really that impressive was the win against the Pats.

losing 3 out of the last 4 is just not a good sign regardless of the start.

Exactly.

I don't care how young the team is they have to be able to close out strong down the stretch. Now, maybe they'll learn after having a season of 16 games because there are a good amount of young players starting / playing in the NFL for the first time on this team but they need to step it up through these final 3 games and finish strong. I'm not expecting a 10-6 finish but 9-7 would be good for Mangini's 1st go around.

Archived