Several Jets Listed Out For Sunday’s Game

JetNation

helmet.gif

On Friday New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan provided an update on the team’s injury report which included several players that will not play on Sunday night.  Before you become overly concerned most of the players on the list are expected to return to practice next week.

Out of Sunday Night’s Game

Bart Scott replaced by Josh Mauga-  Good to see Mauga get more reps as he was very active last week.

Brandon Moore replaced by Vlad Ducasse- Can we put body armor on Sanchez?

Sione Pouha replaced by Martin Tevaseua and Kenrick Ellis- Ellis is going to be a force once he learns the ropes of the NFL.

Shonn Greene replaced by LaDainian Tomlinson- It will be interesting to see how many carries the Jets give LT.

Marcus Dixon

Mark Brunell (reported by Manish Mehta at the Daily News) replaced by Greg McElroy-  This injury concerns me as I would like to see Brunell play some snaps.  It is one thing to be Sanchez’ mentor, it is another to have the ability to be effective if the young signal caller goes down.

Questionable for Sunday’s Game

Calvin Pace- Pace is dealing with a groin injury and the Jets have not yet announced his playing status.  If it was me, Calvin would be sitting next to Bart Scott.

Derrick Mason

Returning from Injury

Nick Mangold

Plaxico Burress- I honestly can’t wait to see what Plaxico will bring to the Jets offense.

Former Jet heading to the Patriots: Former Jets safety James Ihedigbo has signed with the New England Patriots.  The hard hitting safety was a special teams standout and a fan favorite due to his tenacious style of play.  I hate to see the the Jets lose a player like Digz, but in the end Rex Ryan and his staff have to keep the players that they feel fit their system.  There is going to be roster turnover every year and at this point you have to trust Rex Ryan’s judgement.

di</img>di</img>

inBICwKRuLc

View the full article

When watching the press conference from yesterday, there were definitely two very interesting things I found from him talking about this stuff in particular. First was the fact that with Pouha out, he said the starters would be a rotation between MTV and Ellis, with MTV likely getting the start. While I know part of that probably comes from him having more time on the team, when you consider the fact that the guy spent the entire year up until the playoffs on the practice squad before being called up, it tells you something that he's now the first, or at least one of the first, guys off the bench at NT. On the other hand part of me also thinks it just further drives home the point Ryan made last week when talking about Ellis, because while he clearly likes the kid a lot, he made it very clear he thinks he still has plenty of work to do on technique and things like that. And let's be honest, if there's any position on this entire team that we should be giving Ryan our full trust, it's the DL.

I also found his comments when asked about Mauga to be very interesting. While Ryan is always one to constantly praise all of his players, this wasn't one of those typical Ryan "build guys up" sessions. He was just going through the roster lineup and asked about Mauga and seemed to be very genuine in that clearly he thinks a lot of this guy. Just things like how naturally he emphatically stated that Mauga was without question their #3 ILB. While last week was probably the first time he really jumped off the screen at fans and the media, obviously Ryan's a fan.

When watching the press conference from yesterday, there were definitely two very interesting things I found from him talking about this stuff in particular. First was the fact that with Pouha out, he said the starters would be a rotation between MTV and Ellis, with MTV likely getting the start. While I know part of that probably comes from him having more time on the team, when you consider the fact that the guy spent the entire year up until the playoffs on the practice squad before being called up, it tells you something that he's now the first, or at least one of the first, guys off the bench at NT. On the other hand part of me also thinks it just further drives home the point Ryan made last week when talking about Ellis, because while he clearly likes the kid a lot, he made it very clear he thinks he still has plenty of work to do on technique and things like that. And let's be honest, if there's any position on this entire team that we should be giving Ryan our full trust, it's the DL.

I also found his comments when asked about Mauga to be very interesting. While Ryan is always one to constantly praise all of his players, this wasn't one of those typical Ryan "build guys up" sessions. He was just going through the roster lineup and asked about Mauga and seemed to be very genuine in that clearly he thinks a lot of this guy. Just things like how naturally he emphatically stated that Mauga was without question their #3 ILB. While last week was probably the first time he really jumped off the screen at fans and the media, obviously Ryan's a fan.

I had no idea Pouha would be out, but if Rex thinks Ellis needs to work on technique, wouldn't a great time to work on that be in preseason. I mean it is basically a exhibition game just to get players warmed up and working on their technique. I feel like we already saw some great things from Ellis in the last game, I would wanna see him out there again right away to keep improving. He is the future NT for this team. I just don't get that same feeling from MTV.

But, in Rex we trust.

I had no idea Pouha would be out, but if Rex thinks Ellis needs to work on technique, wouldn't a great time to work on that be in preseason. I mean it is basically a exhibition game just to get players warmed up and working on their technique. I feel like we already saw some great things from Ellis in the last game, I would wanna see him out there again right away to keep improving. He is the future NT for this team. I just don't get that same feeling from MTV.

But, in Rex we trust.

Rex said Pouha is out, but is one of the many players who would be playing if it were a regular season game, but they're obviously being very careful with any sort of injuries this year. I think you're right about Ellis getting his reps, and by all accounts Ellis will get plenty of playing time, including with the #1s, but I think part of it also tells you how he feels about MTV as a player and wanting to get both of these guys their reps so they're ready to go come regular season. It's very possible if Rex still thinks Ellis needs some work that he'll want MTV off the bench first for certain situations in the regular season (perhaps on obvious run downs / short yardage), so he needs his work as well. Not to mention, with Rex talking about how thin the rotation was last year, I think he has made it a priority to make sure there's a whole slew of guys they feel comfortable rotating in on that line throughout the seasons, and if he can get his top 2 backup NTs reps with the ones, then he might as well do that.

Wasn't MTV also active for the AFCCG last year? I thought it was him who was activated over Gholston.

Either way, like BG said, if you suck, you aren't going to get past Rex. The man knows DL and if he has kept them around for this long, it means he sees potential in them.

Marcus Dixon is the other guy who's really quietly been impressive so far. Rex seems to like him a lot too.

Rex said Pouha is out, but is one of the many players who would be playing if it were a regular season game, but they're obviously being very careful with any sort of injuries this year. I think you're right about Ellis getting his reps, and by all accounts Ellis will get plenty of playing time, including with the #1s, but I think part of it also tells you how he feels about MTV as a player and wanting to get both of these guys their reps so they're ready to go come regular season. It's very possible if Rex still thinks Ellis needs some work that he'll want MTV off the bench first for certain situations in the regular season (perhaps on obvious run downs / short yardage), so he needs his work as well. Not to mention, with Rex talking about how thin the rotation was last year, I think he has made it a priority to make sure there's a whole slew of guys they feel comfortable rotating in on that line throughout the seasons, and if he can get his top 2 backup NTs reps with the ones, then he might as well do that.

Good point and I think that was part of the problem last year, especially in the AFCCG.

Wasn't MTV also active for the AFCCG last year? I thought it was him who was activated over Gholston.

Either way, like BG said, if you suck, you aren't going to get past Rex. The man knows DL and if he has kept them around for this long, it means he sees potential in them.

Marcus Dixon is the other guy who's really quietly been impressive so far. Rex seems to like him a lot too.

Yeah, that was MTV. I remember because it was one of those "holy crap" moments that a guy who spent all year on the PS was now getting his first game time in the AFC Championship of all things.

Agreed on Dixon, he had a really nice game last week and was probably the only non-starter along with Pryce getting any significant game action in last year's rotation. I actually though it was pretty funny in Rex's presser he said that Dixon came up to him to let him know his knee was bothering him and wanted to have it evaluated and apologized to Rex, to which Rex said he responded, "you keep playing like that, you don't need to apologize for anything". I thought that was pretty funny and like you said, Rex is no doubt a fan.

I liked Tevasau last year's preseason, but he was on the practice squad last season. They had signed Trufant and then cut him to sign MTV for the Steelers game. Glad to see Mauga get 1st team reps. I know people liked the game Dixon had, but he's the guy that ran on the field when Rex flipped out. I'm not sure who Rex was yelling out, but it was obvious somebody was supposed to come out. They were talking Mauga up last year before he got gonged by Conner.

The one that worries me is Pace. I think Pace being hurt slowed the D down last year and I was hoping he'd be at full strength.

I liked Tevasau last year's preseason, but he was on the practice squad last season. They had signed Trufant and then cut him to sign MTV for the Steelers game. Glad to see Mauga get 1st team reps. I know people liked the game Dixon had, but he's the guy that ran on the field when Rex flipped out. I'm not sure who Rex was yelling out, but it was obvious somebody was supposed to come out. They were talking Mauga up last year before he got gonged by Conner.

The one that worries me is Pace. I think Pace being hurt slowed the D down last year and I was hoping he'd be at full strength.

Agreed on Pace, that was the only one that I didn't like hearing, but he was also under the category of "if it were regular season he'd play" according to Ryan, so it doesn't sound all that bad.

Sign a much younger experienced backup who isnt injury prone and older than dirt.

3 weeks into training camp? You think that would be BETTER?

This is not Madden... and please name who you want them to sign that can learn an offense in 1 week.

This is not Madden... and please name who you want them to sign that can learn an offense in 1 week.

Isnt McElroy getting all the reps anyway? So what makes you think Brunell would be half ready? Hes 1 hit away from his career being ended. I dont know whos available other than Jim Sorgi and who you would approve of.

Powell is going to get plenty of looks, has a chance to put a lot of daylight between himself and McKnight.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this one. Rex Ryan has already gone on record talking about how impressed he's been of Joe McKnight this entire offseason. Saying that "he's earned a bigger role for us, I don't think there's any doubt," Ryan said.

Your speaking as if Powell is already ahead of McKnight on the depth chart, with a chance to distance himself from McKnight... all because of one preseason game, which is far from being the truth. The chances of Powell passing McKnight as our 3rd back are slime to none. Schottenheimer has already made it known, when the Jets turn to the wildcat package, Joe McKnight will be our "Brad Smith".

Look, I've been a big time supporter and fan of Powell since we've drafted this kid, but like I've stated in another thread... Joe McKnight is only a 2nd year player, a 2nd year player with plenty of promise. He's gone through some out of shape conditioning and fumble problems during the offseason last year, but he came on strong for us heading into the playoffs as a rookie. He's shown us plenty of heart and determination over the past two years. This kid never quit on his dreams after riding the pine. He kept on fighting for a roster spot, and in my eyes... he's earned his roster spot this season.

McKnight only had 7 carries heading into that Buffalo game last season. He picked up 31 yards. The first chance he had to impact during an NFL game? He dominated that Buffalo defense with 32 rushes for 158 rushing yards (average of 4.9 yards per carry) along with 2 catches out of the backfield for 15 yards. He showed his worth.

Lets not forget, all because of one preseason game, that Kerley and McKnight have been some of our main offensive talks during training camp this offseason. McKnight has been making play after play for our offense. Not only has he came into training camp in excellent physical condition, but he's also been very productive on the football field. McKnight was also impressive against the Texans on Monday with 5 rushes for 24 yards (average of 4.8 yards per carry). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Powell, but lets not act like he impressed more than McKnight on Monday night, because he didn't. Powell simply had more chances/opportunities to make plays, but lets not act as if he were able put any type of daylight/distance between himself and McKnight. Powell did put up 3 receptions for 27 receiving yards coming out of the backfield... But he only averaged 2.8 yards per rushing attempt after 9 carries. Once again, McKnight put up an average of 4.8 yards per carry. To make a long story short, against the Texans? McKnight was more impressive as a RUNNING BACK. McKnight also returned a kickoff for 26 yards.

Short list and both that I can think of won't be available

Seneca Wallace and Jake Delehome

I'll have to agree to disagree with you on this one. Rex Ryan has already gone on record talking about how impressed he's been of Joe McKnight this entire offseason. Saying that "he's earned a bigger role for us, I don't think there's any doubt," Ryan said.

Your speaking as if Powell is already ahead of McKnight on the depth chart, with a chance to distance himself from McKnight... all because of one preseason game, which is far from being the truth. The chances of Powell passing McKnight as our 3rd back are slime to none. Schottenheimer has already made it known, when the Jets turn to the wildcat package, Joe McKnight will be our "Brad Smith".

Look, I've been a big time supporter and fan of Powell since we've drafted this kid, but like I've stated in another thread... Joe McKnight is only a 2nd year player, a 2nd year player with plenty of promise. He's gone through some out of shape conditioning and fumble problems during the offseason last year, but he came on strong for us heading into the playoffs as a rookie. He's shown us plenty of heart and determination over the past two years. This kid never quit on his dreams after riding the pine. He kept on fighting for a roster spot, and in my eyes... he's earned his roster spot this season.

McKnight only had 7 carries heading into that Buffalo game last season. He picked up 31 yards. The first chance he had to impact during an NFL game? He dominated that Buffalo defense with 32 rushes for 158 rushing yards (average of 4.9 yards per carry) along with 2 catches out of the backfield for 15 yards. He showed his worth.

Lets not forget, all because of one preseason game, that Kerley and McKnight have been some of our main offensive talks during training camp this offseason. McKnight has been making play after play for our offense. Not only has he came into training camp in excellent physical condition, but he's also been very productive on the football field. McKnight was also impressive against the Texans on Monday with 5 rushes for 24 yards (average of 4.8 yards per carry). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Powell, but lets not act like he impressed more than McKnight on Monday night, because he didn't. Powell simply had more chances/opportunities to make plays, but lets not act as if he were able put any type of daylight/distance between himself and McKnight. Powell did put up 3 receptions for 27 receiving yards coming out of the backfield... But he only averaged 2.8 yards per rushing attempt after 9 carries. Once again, McKnight put up an average of 4.8 yards per carry. To make a long story short, against the Texans? McKnight was more impressive as a RUNNING BACK. McKnight also returned a kickoff for 26 yards.

If something happens to Greene in the regular season and we need a between the tackles 1st and 2nd down back that will go to Powell over McNight every time that's why he was drafted insurance for Greene. McNight is insurance for LT

Archived