Jets cut Mardy Gilyard

flylikeajet

No, I'm specifically talking about ex-college stars or high draft picks cut by other teams who the Jets then sign off waivers. Those guys, never work out to even being good it seems.

Gilyard was a fourth rounder. Not necessarily a big time bust, although a little unusual to let go your fourth rounder the following year, (as opposed to fifth round or lower).

Nah, Gilyard looked great gunning on ST's over the summer for St. Louis. I'd imagine they took a look at him to elevate some of the pressure off of E. Smith in that regard since B. Smith is gone and he's the only elite-level one left on the roster. Obv he didn't impress enough.

Maybe that's why the Jets signed him. According to rotoworld they cut him because Trufant outplayed him in special teams practices.

Jets promoted CB Isaiah Trufant from the practice squad.

Trufant outperformed Mardy Gilyard in special teams practices. The Jets don't need cornerback help; Trufant will cover kicks if he's active on game day. Sep 9 - 8:00 PM

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.../isaiah-trufant

Of course, as usual for rotoworld, Manish's tweet didn't say all of that.

#Jets will elevate cornerback Isaiah Trufant from the practice squad to replace WR Mardy Gilyard on the 53-man roster, per source. #nyj
http://twitter.com/#...313073980805120

Trufant is fast, but he's a true fidget. Listed at 5'8". I wonder how he is at getting off the line. Does being short help with leverage or is he so light they can block him more easily. FWIW, I never saw Eric Smith as a much of a gunner. I like Marquice Cole in that spot.

Trufant is fast, but he's a true fidget. Listed at 5'8". I wonder how he is at getting off the line. Does being short help with leverage or is he so light they can block him more easily. FWIW, I never saw Eric Smith as a much of a gunner. I like Marquice Cole in that spot.

Eric Smith has been one of the best gunners in the league for 3 years now.

Archived