Which Players Currently On The Roster Are You Done With?

SoFlaJets

last 3 are unknown .. Keller is an f up... I think I remember talk of desean Jackson there

LOL and you & JIf having the same thinking. Ironic, no?

Desean Jackson was taken 49th overall, 19 spots after Keller. I really don't get how people re-write history. Keller was 1st round/ early 2nd round rated and Jackson rated mid to late 2nd. Both were drafted where they were suppose to go. It's not like Jackson fell for some reason.

Is this analysis based on anything past the first 4 games of last season? I will never understand why seem people seem excited to have the ability to sh*t all over a player as quickly as possible. The guy improved greatly over the course of last year but all we heard about from most fans all offseason was the first game of his rookie year, and when he was having a great camp and start to preseason people begrudgingly gave him credit until they were quick to embrace the opportunity to tear him apart again after a rough outing in the preseason finale. It's ridiculous, the guy has been in the NFL for one year, and has absolutely shown flashes of being a pretty damn good player, having the best game of his career just 4 days ago. Not all first rounders are going to Brick, Mangold or Revis from day one, but that certainly doesn't make them bad players.

You got to table discussion. Wilson will get some picks this year and maybe take 1 to the house and then you can crow. History is usually on your side of the argument in these type of discussions.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't get how people re-write history. Keller was 1st round/ early 2nd round rated and Jackson rated mid to late 2nd. Both were drafted where they were suppose to go. It's not like Jackson fell for some reason.

Both sides of this argument are revisionist history. There's no real reason to think Jackson was going to be the pick if it hadn't been Keller, but at the same time it's also not true that Jackson wasn't 'supposed to' go in the first round because he was seriously considered there by multiple teams.

Desean Jackson was taken 49th overall, 19 spots after Keller. I really don't get how people re-write history. Keller was 1st round/ early 2nd round rated and Jackson rated mid to late 2nd. Both were drafted where they were suppose to go. It's not like Jackson fell for some reason.

You got to table discussion. Wilson will get some picks this year and maybe take 1 to the house and then you can crow. History is usually on your side of the argument in these type of discussions.

I'm not even looking to crow, I just can't see the justification for calling the guy a "bad pick" one game into his sophomore season. Hell, maybe he turns out to completely suck (although I wouldn't bet on it), but anyone who pretends to know that for sure from today is full of crap.

I think he fell and its got nothing to do with revisionist. I recall numerous mock's having him going as the 1st WR late in the 1st round to the Packes. Which ironically is who we traded with for at that spot. And, this was back in the JI days when we did mocks over there....I specifically had the Jets taking him at 36 overall....so, there!

Both sides of this argument are revisionist history. There's no real reason to think Jackson was going to be the pick if it hadn't been Keller, but at the same time it's also not true that Jackson wasn't 'supposed to' go in the first round because he was seriously considered there by multiple teams.

Exactly. Many teams had him as the best WR prospect in the draft...but sometimes things dont always turn out that way.

I'm not even looking to crow, I just can't see the justification for calling the guy a "bad pick" one game into his sophomore season. Hell, maybe he turns out to completely suck (although I wouldn't bet on it), but anyone who pretends to know that for sure from today is full of crap.

How would you rate him based on his play and the deficiencies he's shown since joining the team? A good value in the 1st round? An unknown value in the 1st round? or a bad value in the first round? There needs to be a yardstick,. Devin McCourty and Wilson were both ist round cornerbacks who started at theur position immediately. One was a good value because he started, retained his position, and improved throughout the season showing an excellent skillset and good instincts. The other was pulled from starting duty and was unable to regain his position causing his team to have to pay a lump of cash to a FA cornerback who, in turn, cost us an additional second round draft pick, and then was relegated to sub-package duty where he has continued to be inconsistent. Add this to the fact that he was drafted with the intention of using him as a returner on specials and he doesn't return anything and--unless you're a typical Jets apologist wearing green-colored glasses and believing everything we do is awesome and everry player is a star in the making--Wilson was a bad first-round pick.

How would you rate him based on his play and the deficiencies he's shown since joining the team? A good value in the 1st round? An unknown value in the 1st round? or a bad value in the first round? There needs to be a yardstick,. Devin McCourty and Wilson were both ist round cornerbacks who started at theur position immediately. One was a good value because he started, retained his position, and improved throughout the season showing an excellent skillset and good instincts. The other was pulled from starting duty and was unable to regain his position causing his team to have to pay a lump of cash to a FA cornerback who, in turn, cost us an additional second round draft pick, and then was relegated to sub-package duty where he has continued to be inconsistent. Add this to the fact that he was drafted with the intention of using him as a returner on specials and he doesn't return anything and--unless you're a typical Jets apologist wearing green-colored glasses and believing everything we do is awesome and everry player is a star in the making--Wilson was a bad first-round pick.

I'll say it again... he is his in his second year in the NFL. At this point, EVERY pick is an unknown value. There have been more players than you can count that came in hot their rookie years and turned into complete disasters after that, and even more who started slowly and became great players. Trying to judge them after one year of play, particularly when the player in question has shown great improvement over the course of that year, is just absurd. So what, since he didn't come into the league and make the Pro Bowl his rookie year like a guy drafted at his position before him he's a bad pick? Give me a break.

What is so difficult to comprehend about this? Trying to blame him for Cromartie costing the Jets second round pick is beyond ridiculous, and proves that at this point you've come to a decision and are now trying to push an agenda than actually really evaluate the situation. They traded for Cro before drafting Wilson and the draft pick compensation had absolutely nothing to do with them re-signing Cro as you suggest, which should be rather obvious considering the pick was gone in April yet he didn't re-sign until August. Sure they decided to re-sign Cro, but they also let Coleman walk without an offer and traded away another CB/S in Lowery, while only bringing in players who all ended up beneath Wilson on the depth chart. Doesn't exactly sound like a team who has no confidence in that player, even if he isn't getting thrust into a starting role. Of course, your agenda becomes even more obvious with trying to say Wilson was "unable to retain his starting job" because God forbid he didn't continue to start when the NFL's best CB returned from injury. Your entire argument is based on the first 4 games of his NFL career as evidence that he was a bad pick, and regardless of what happened in those games or what your stance is, using that is a basis for any argument is a tad reactionary.

By that logic, as the #4 overall pick when in his rookie year Brick had a number of rough games in pass protection (including getting absolutely man-handled by Aaron Schobel in one game) and plenty of criticism to his play in the run game, he should have been considered a bust there and then. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure he's done a decent job of improving since then. Or does he get a pass because he wasn't behind two Pro Bowlers on the depth chart at a position that sees him still on the field plenty regardless?

I'll say it again... he is his in his second year in the NFL. At this point, EVERY pick is an unknown value. There have been more players than you can count that came in hot their rookie years and turned into complete disasters after that, and even more who started slowly and became great players. Trying to judge them after one year of play, particularly when the player in question has shown great improvement over the course of that year, is just absurd. So what, since he didn't come into the league and make the Pro Bowl his rookie year like a guy drafted at his position before him he's a bad pick? Give me a break.

What is so difficult to comprehend about this? Trying to blame him for Cromartie costing the Jets second round pick is beyond ridiculous, and proves that at this point you've come to a decision and are now trying to push an agenda than actually really evaluate the situation. They traded for Cro before drafting Wilson and the draft pick compensation had absolutely nothing to do with them re-signing Cro as you suggest, which should be rather obvious considering the pick was gone in April yet he didn't re-sign until August. Sure they decided to re-sign Cro, but they also let Coleman walk without an offer and traded away another CB/S in Lowery, while only bringing in players who all ended up beneath Wilson on the depth chart. Doesn't exactly sound like a team who has no confidence in that player, even if he isn't getting thrust into a starting role. Of course, your agenda becomes even more obvious with trying to say Wilson was "unable to retain his starting job" because God forbid he didn't continue to start when the NFL's best CB returned from injury. Your entire argument is based on the first 4 games of his NFL career as evidence that he was a bad pick, and regardless of what happened in those games or what your stance is, using that is a basis for any argument is a tad reactionary.

By that logic, as the #4 overall pick when in his rookie year Brick had a number of rough games in pass protection (including getting absolutely man-handled by Aaron Schobel in one game) and plenty of criticism to his play in the run game, he should have been considered a bust there and then. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure he's done a decent job of improving since then. Or does he get a pass because he wasn't behind two Pro Bowlers on the depth chart at a position that sees him still on the field plenty regardless?

demotivational-posters-tldr.jpg

This a laughable post. Lets talk about how laughable this is.

McCourty and Wilson's situations couldnt be anymore different. Literally worlds apart. When Bodden got hurt for the Patriots last year, they had no choice but to make McCourty their #1 CB. No choice. While he played good, he anchored one of the worst secondaries in the league.

Wilson was drafted to be a nickle back because he's currently on the same roster as the best CB in the league and one of the more athletically gifted man to man CB's in the league. He was never, the starting anything for his team. The only reason why he was starting at CB was because Revis was injured. So saying he "lost" his starting job, is a joke. Wilson was a factor on the 4th best defense in this league and he played very well during the playoff run and had his best game on Sunday night when McCourty got torched to the tune of 150+ yards by Brandon Marshall and Chad Henne.

Remember those conversations about DBrick sucking? Loved those, now he's a top 5 possibly 3 LT in the league. I love being a Jets fan. You're either in canton or you should be cut.

Exactly. Many teams had him as the best WR prospect in the draft...but sometimes things dont always turn out that way.

Jackson was "seriously considered" by multiple teams and "many teams had him as the best WR prospect in the draft"? ORLY?

Donnie Avery (Rams)

Devin Thomas (Skins)

Jordy Nelson (Pack)

James Hardy (Bills)

Eddie Royal (Broncos)

Jerome Simpson (Bengals)

Those are 6 WRs picked in the 2nd round, all ahead of Jackson. If there were multiple teams considering him or they consider him the best WR prospect, why didn't any of these 6 teams take Jackson at their respective spots?

In fact, the Eagles drafted DT Trevor Laws at 47 before taking Jackson at 49. So even the Eagles passed on him the first time.

Jackson was "seriously considered" by multiple teams and "many teams had him as the best WR prospect in the draft"? ORLY?

Donnie Avery (Rams)

Devin Thomas (Skins)

Jordy Nelson (Pack)

James Hardy (Bills)

Eddie Royal (Broncos)

Jerome Simpson (Bengals)

Those are 6 WRs picked in the 2nd round, all ahead of Jackson. If there were multiple teams considering him or they consider him the best WR prospect, why didn't any of these 6 teams take Jackson at their respective spots?

In fact, the Eagles drafted DT Trevor Laws at 47 before taking Jackson at 49. So even the Eagles passed on him the first time.

I'm not sure how this proves I'm wrong. I recall multiple mock drafts having Jackson going at 30 to the Packers. I recall multiple people saying he was a 1st round talent but people feared his size. I drafted him with our 36th pick in our JI mock draft that year. Just because the draft didnt go that way doesnt make it false. People had Brady Quinn going in the top 5, Aaron Rodgers as well. Didnt happen that way. People had Tebow going in the 4th, didnt happen that way.

This was orginally about if I had Jackson graded that high, which I did at the time. And then you took it further, when all I'm saying is, I personally had him graded that high and was hoping he was the pick. And I specifically recall mocks that had him going to the Packers in the back of the 1st.

I'm not sure how this proves I'm wrong. I recall multiple mock drafts having Jackson going at 30 to the Packers. I recall multiple people saying he was a 1st round talent but people feared his size. I drafted him with our 36th pick in our JI mock draft that year. Just because the draft didnt go that way doesnt make it false. People had Brady Quinn going in the top 5, Aaron Rodgers as well. Didnt happen that way. People had Tebow going in the 4th, didnt happen that way.

This was orginally about if I had Jackson graded that high, which I did at the time. And then you took it further, when all I'm saying is, I personally had him graded that high and was hoping he was the pick. And I specifically recall mocks that had him going to the Packers in the back of the 1st.

I'm not questioning your grading. But fans and internet experts in their mock drafts don't make it real. The proof is in the draft. When 6 teams that select WRs in the round pass on you, that means the player is getting drafted where the teams think he should be drafted.

Heck, with the Eagles having the 47th and 49th picks, they could have moved up in the 2nd when 6 other teams were taking WRs. They weren't worried about losing him. They were so not worried about that, that they didn't even take him at 47 and instead waited until 49 without fear that another team would take him at 48.

I'm not questioning your grading. But fans and internet experts in their mock drafts don't make it real. The proof is in the draft. When 6 teams that select WRs in the round pass on you, that means the player is getting drafted where the teams think he should be drafted.

Heck, with the Eagles having the 47th and 49th picks, they could have moved up in the 2nd when 6 other teams were taking WRs. They weren't worried about losing him. They were so not worried about that, that they didn't even take him at 47 and instead waited until 49 without fear that another team would take him at 48.

I wanted Jackson over Keller. Thats all I was saying. Players slip and slide all the time. Clearly, those 6 teams, all made the wrong choice....so I'm not sure what you are arguing, but you win.

I think the problem here is you two are essentially arguing two different points, so neither of you is really wrong. You're not wrong about where he was drafted and how the board fell, but JiF's original point was really more to the fact that Jackson's the guy he thought/hoped the Jets were targetted when they moved up to the end of round 1 for Keller (obviously not knowing at the time where Jackson was going to precede to get drafted). It doesn't mean that's what happened or even should have happened, but rather his own personal take on it as it was going down.

Yes. Stop being stupid. You can no more say that Jackson wasn't an option at 30 than they can say that he was the primary alternative to Keller. The fact that other receivers were taken ahead of him no more proves your point than the fact that Jackson turned out to be the best player on the board proves theirs. Your arguing everything just for the sake of arguing it is really getting tiresome.

I think the problem here is you two are essentially arguing two different points, so neither of you is really wrong. You're not wrong about where he was drafted and how the board fell, but JiF's original point was really more to the fact that Jackson's the guy he thought/hoped the Jets were targetted when they moved up to the end of round 1 for Keller (obviously not knowing at the time where Jackson was going to precede to get drafted). It doesn't mean that's what happened or even should have happened, but rather his own personal take on it as it was going down.

Yes. Stop being stupid. You can no more say that Jackson wasn't an option at 30 than they can say that he was the primary alternative to Keller. The fact that other receivers were taken ahead of him no more proves your point than the fact that Jackson turned out to be the best player on the board proves theirs. Your arguing everything just for the sake of arguing it is really getting tiresome.

These 2 posts.

Now, SMC, kindly gfy.

EVERY TEAM DRAFTS ACCORDING TO BAP. THIS IS IRREFUTABLE FACT. AND I'M NOT GOING TO STOP YELLING BECAUSE THAT WOULD MEAN I LOST THE FIGHT.

Taking draft picks is like trying to predict a horse race. Sure you can take the one who looks good at the time or has performed well in the past, but there's no guarantee he's going to go the distance. Gholston looked like a prize horse, but ending up being a gimp. Such is the nature of the beast. There's always a certain element of luck involved.

Donnie Avery (Rams)

Devin Thomas (Skins)

Jordy Nelson (Pack)

James Hardy (Bills)

Eddie Royal (Broncos)

Jerome Simpson (Bengals)

Just wanted to drop in and point out that the only reason Jackson fell in his draft year was due to him having a rep as a douche. He also might have had an injury problem, but I don't remember. Otherwise he was rated higher than all those guys.

Just wanted to drop in and point out that the only reason Jackson fell in his draft year was due to him having a rep as a douche. He also might have had an injury problem, but I don't remember. Otherwise he was rated higher than all those guys.

Thanks, I didn't remember that.

But considering he had a rep as a douche it is no wonder JiF was high on him.

I remember a lot of talk of WR and his name came up a lot

Archived