Calm Down, You Can't Win 'Em All

SoFlaJets

No. It's like saying the defense had a bad game. It happens to everybody. Steelers looked like crap against the Ravens, Ravens looked like crap against the Titans. It's not like they literally forgot how to tackle. We didn't get up for a 4:00 game on the West coast and wound up giving up the most rushing yards we'd allowed in god knows how long. Fluke. Happens. The problem is that as long as Sanchez is the quarterback we simply can't afford to have anything else go wrong, and things are going to go wrong. The defense isn't going to be lights out every time. Our ridiculous good fortune in maintaining offensive line continuity and avoiding key injuries was never going to hold out. Of course, try explaining regression to the mean and luck around here when everything is actually going according to plan. You have to overcome adversity to win the Super Bowl and you can't do that when the quarterback is always part of the problem.

The QB play wasn't part of the problem yesterday.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ticky tack calls don't matter. The holding on the DMC run doesn't matter. The Refs were awful yesterday. Rex even needed to throw a challenge flag on a ball that clearly skipped across the ground.

BUT, the NFL has emphasised the blow to the QB helmet calls this offseason, and Sanchez was punched in the helmet and face multiple times (led to possible proken nose) and not one roughing the passer call. That's a problem. Sanchez is getting the Vick treatment.

Sanchez just gets no respect...Vick is just hard to officiate. Its like officiating for Shaq when Shaq was an explosive player that would barrel guys over. The issue with calling the fouls on Vick is that Vick rarely sets up as a pocket passer and no official is going to give him the benefit of the doubt when he is dancing around, flicks the ball, and then gets hit. That said on the play where Canty popped him it was a pure passing play and I cant see how in the world that was not called.

I had a bad feeling about this game all along-you guys can whine and call each other names all week-guess what-I won't. I enjoyed the game even though we lost. This is a fun team to watch-we always have a shot. We're 2-1-there are 13 more games-so we go 15-1

I'll take the under on that bet.

Really?

Honest to God Aten-it really was the first time. I had written off other bad moves as "well, he's young, he'll learn". That one he shoulkd have ALREADY learned and again, I put half of that blame on the CS-from Rex to Schottenheimer to callahan. They should be SCREAMING at him every practice to throw those passes away.

No. It's like saying the defense had a bad game. It happens to everybody. Steelers looked like crap against the Ravens, Ravens looked like crap against the Titans. It's not like they literally forgot how to tackle. We didn't get up for a 4:00 game on the West coast and wound up giving up the most rushing yards we'd allowed in god knows how long. Fluke. Happens. The problem is that as long as Sanchez is the quarterback we simply can't afford to have anything else go wrong, and things are going to go wrong. The defense isn't going to be lights out every time. Our ridiculous good fortune in maintaining offensive line continuity and avoiding key injuries was never going to hold out. Of course, try explaining regression to the mean and luck around here when everything is actually going according to plan. You have to overcome adversity to win the Super Bowl and you can't do that when the quarterback is always part of the problem.

I should've known better to dare bring up that Sanchez's in response to you, but I was trying to use an example I thought you could grasp, which apparently I was expecting too much there. I'm really not sure what's so difficult to understand about the point that calling that performance "bad" is a vast understatement, especially considering they were at their absolute worst when it meant the most. Trying to say that the Jets couldn't win if the D isn't "lights out" when they were abysmal is a ridiculous, agenda-laden argument. There's an entire coaching staff and a full roster of players who need to share the blame in this one (yes, Sanchez included), but if the defense even played just barely mediocre in the 4th, the Jets might have actually had a chance to win this one in the end, but instead they were at their worst.

Ticky tack calls don't matter. The holding on the DMC run doesn't matter. The Refs were awful yesterday. Rex even needed to throw a challenge flag on a ball that clearly skipped across the ground.

BUT, the NFL has emphasised the blow to the QB helmet calls this offseason, and Sanchez was punched in the helmet and face multiple times (led to possible proken nose) and not one roughing the passer call. That's a problem. Sanchez is getting the Vick treatment.

replace the two Golden Boys with Sanchez and Vick and see what kind of uproar there would be last night and this morning

I should've known better to dare bring up that Sanchez's in response to you, but I was trying to use an example I thought you could grasp, which apparently I was expecting too much there. I'm really not sure what's so difficult to understand about the point that calling that performance "bad" is a vast understatement, especially considering they were at their absolute worst when it meant the most. Trying to say that the Jets couldn't win if the D isn't "lights out" when they were abysmal is a ridiculous, agenda-laden argument. There's an entire coaching staff and a full roster of players who need to share the blame in this one (yes, Sanchez included), but if the defense even played just barely mediocre in the 4th, the Jets might have actually had a chance to win this one in the end, but instead they were at their worst.

He's got a personality disorder. You got Rex shouting in his ear to play conservative and he wants to throw it into windows as tight as a 16 year olds cooch. That was what I saw yesterday. Checkdown, checkdown, checkdown, OMG STUPID PASS, checkdown, checkdown and then at the end of the game he started going deeper. In the end, Sanchez did his usual thing as EY said.

I should've known better to dare bring up that Sanchez's in response to you, but I was trying to use an example I thought you could grasp, which apparently I was expecting too much there.

Yeah, not sure what you were thinking there given that I am very dumb and have difficulty grasping things.

I'm really not sure what's so difficult to understand about the point that calling that performance "bad" is a vast understatement, especially considering they were at their absolute worst when it meant the most.

This is sort of what makes outliers outliers, isn't it?

Trying to say that the Jets couldn't win if the D isn't "lights out" when they were abysmal is a ridiculous, agenda-laden argument.

No. This is a ridiculous, agenda-laden argument: you think Mark Sanchez is dreamy and want to lick his moles.

There's an entire coaching staff and a full roster of players who need to share the blame in this one (yes, Sanchez included), but if the defense even played just barely mediocre in the 4th, the Jets might have actually had a chance to win this one in the end, but instead they were at their worst.

Unlike Sanchez the paragon of clutchiness. Why is it always good enough that it's somebody else's fault too?

I just got back from gassing up and going to Publix and the fruit stand and had a chance to listen a little to Miami sports talk radio. They have become what 'I' used to be down here in the 90's; a guy who is the fan of a losing team that could only take solace in a rivals' failure-been there, done that and what a crappy existence as a sports fan that is to lead.

Yeah, not sure what you were thinking there given that I am very dumb and have difficulty grasping things.

On this particular topic, this point is unfortunately, becoming quite accurate. It has become blatantly obvious that you have completely lost the ability to be even slightly objective. That couldn't be made any more clear by the remainder of this post of yours, considering the lengths you have gone to in this thread to continue to tear apart a defense of Sanchez that simply isn't being made.

This is sort of what makes outliers outliers, isn't it?

Where did I say any different? Sure it's an outlier, that still doesn't excuse such a horrendously awful performance as the one they put forward. The only reason anyone would try to excuse that is in order to satisfy their own need to put as much blame as humanly possibly onto a single individual. But we don't know anyone like that, right?

No. This is a ridiculous, agenda-laden argument: you think Mark Sanchez is dreamy and want to lick his moles.

So now it's agenda-laden to point out when someone is trying to excuse the defense for a pathetically bad performance in order to put all of the blame on Sanchez when he was only one of a great many problems yesterday? Intriguing. But please, tell me again why you're the level-headed objective one in this debate.

Unlike Sanchez the paragon of clutchiness. Why is it always good enough that it's somebody else's fault too?

My question would be why is it that every time there are a whole list of reasons besides Sanchez's performance for a loss, it's always necessary to make sure that not only is it Sanchez's fault too, it's primarily Sanchez's fault, regardless of how the game may have actually played out. The funny thing is the only one here trying to make excuses for a performance is you. I'm far from removing any blame from Sanchez for yesterday, but I'm able to recognize the reality that there are many other factors, including the defense, which deserve ample blame for their poor performance. This all feels all so familiar though, it's like we've flashed back to January 2005. Pennington and Herm (the defense) can't possibly be to blame, because it was all Doug Brien's (Mark Sanchez's) fault!!! Or maybe, just maybe, it's possible that they all sucked.

Archived