Jets’ Sanchez On Holmes: Criticism Needs To Stay In Locker Room

THE ILK

santonio-holmes-mark-sanchez.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

http://newyork.cbslo...in-locker-room/

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – Mark Sanchez looked into the mirror and carefully thought about his last performance.

It was awful, and he knew it. So, the Jets quarterback scribbled some notes into a pad, and then took out an erasable marker and wrote a few things on the glass in front of him.

“It’s to remind yourself,” Sanchez said Wednesday, “to never let that happen again and move on.”

After the Jets’ 34-17 loss to the Ravens, wide receiver Santonio Holmes was critical of Sanchez and the rest of the team, saying they all need to play better if they are going to succeed. Holmes’ comments got lots of play, and seemed to hint at the possible beginnings of dissension.

“If anybody feels bad about that then I’m sorry, but as a captain, that’s my job to point it out amongst ourselves,” Holmes said. “And if the media took it the wrong way, I apologize for it. But as far as meaning it to dictate anything negative on my team, I would never do that. I didn’t sign back here to be that guy.”

Sanchez said moving forward, comments such as Holmes’ will not go outside the players’ meetings and their own conversations.

“I think our player policy is to just kind of keep things in house,” Sanchez said. “That kind of stuff won’t happen … That kind of stuff doesn’t go past this locker room.”

After all, there are plenty of others offering their own criticisms, including the quickly growing number of fans and media saying Sanchez should be a lot better in his third season.

Hall of Famer Joe Namath didn’t like that Holmes went public with his thoughts on the team’s struggles but has been one of the team’s most vocal critics.

“Joe Namath doesn’t work for the New York Jets,” Holmes said. “He doesn’t coach here. He doesn’t have anything positive to say about us. We can’t feed into what he says.”

Sanchez has six touchdown passes and five interceptions, but his 75.9 quarterback rating is among the league’s worst. His decision-making has also been questioned and his ability to actually be the franchise-type quarterback the Jets still insist he is.

“He’ll be just fine,” wide receiver Plaxico Burress said. “This is a town where you just have to put everything aside and not pay attention to what everybody’s saying outside and just focus on your job and go out and play. He’s coming in and doing everything he needs to do and we’ve got to help him, everybody: the offensive line, myself, the running backs. … It’s not just him out there playing by himself. We all have to look ourselves in the mirror and be accountable also.”

It’s been a rough start to the season for the young quarterback, who has been knocked around by defenses that have left him bruised and battered. Sanchez was 11 for 35 for 119 yards and an interception against Baltimore, and he vows to bounce back. He’ll certainly need to be a lot better Sunday, when the Jets (2-2) play the Patriots (3-1) in New England.

“If it never happens again in my career, I’d be pretty lucky, but there is a chance that could happen again at some point,” Sanchez said. “To come back on Wednesday and work through it and show these guys, `I’m the man. I don’t care what anybody says. I’m the man in this building. We’re going to win this game,’ that’s how I have to be. That’s what I have to exude. That’s the confidence I need to have, and that’s the way I felt this week.”

And, it has shown to his teammates, who insist their faith has not wavered in Sanchez.

“He didn’t come in here with his head down,” center Nick Mangold said. “He didn’t come in here moping around. He came in ready to work.”

At least Sanchez is healthy, something that has been far from guaranteed this season while working behind an offensive line that has been subpar so far and contributed to him being sacked 11 times in four games. Sanchez was tested for a concussion after the season opener against Dallas, bruised his throwing arm the following week against Jacksonville and then suffered a broken nose at Oakland two weeks ago.

Sanchez acknowledged that he takes some of the blame for the injuries, trying too hard to make things happen. But, it was clear against the Ravens that if he continues to take such hard hits, he’s not going to last the entire season.

“Under that kind of pressure,” coach Rex Ryan said, “Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, whoever would’ve had a rough day.”

Tight end Dustin Keller, one of Sanchez’s best friends on the team, said he and his teammates reassure their quarterback, but it’s not necessarily needed.

“He kind of lets all the outside stuff go in one ear and out the other,” Keller said. “He knows what he has to do and I think that’s part of the reason they brought him in. He had to deal with similar things at USC, you know, a big market, especially for college. He’s done a great job of letting those things pass. He knows we have all the confidence in the world in him, and that’s all that matters.”

Seattle’s Pete Carroll, Sanchez’s coach in college, has seen him make progress from afar since his rookie season, and likes how the quarterback has toughed things out during times like this.

“The other night was a ridiculously challenging defense that they went up against,” Carroll said. “I thought he was battling like crazy and I know he wants to be cleaner in the numbers and they start to add up a bit, but just like he has in the past, he will bounce back and be the guy everybody is counting on.”

Looks like I'm not the only one that agreed with Namath on this one, eh?

Like I said, its an age-old football truism... keep it in the locker room. Everyone that follows this game knows this, and hammering Namath for pointing out something as obvious as tying your shoe laces before running isn't fair to the old codger.

Say what you will about Sanchez but the way he handles the NY media and bounces back is unmatched. I bet he has a big game this week and the Jets are gonna come out looking for blood!

This team is at their best when they are doubted and underdogs, gonna be a big win!

This is why Holmes has never been a captain before too... Sanchez may be a mess at times, but he's definitely a purposeful leader and deserves the "C" on his chest. Holmes, the veteran, needing to be told this by a 3-year guy? Not so much.

Yeah, it couldn't have had anything at all to do with the fact that the Steelers already had a 4-time Pro Bowl wideout acting as offensive co-captain when Holmes was drafted.

Holmes stated that being named captain was one of the greatest honors in his life because he'd never ever been a captain before...not even in pee-wee or HS football. There's probably a reason for that. I blame Matt Slauson.

“If it never happens again in my career, I’d be pretty lucky, but there is a chance that could happen again at some point,” Sanchez said. “To come back on Wednesday and work through it and show these guys, `I’m the man. I don’t care what anybody says. I’m the man in this building. We’re going to win this game,’ that’s how I have to be. That’s what I have to exude. That’s the confidence I need to have, and that’s the way I felt this week.”

My god with this already...

Holmes stated that being named captain was one of the greatest honors in his life because he'd never ever been a captain before...not even in pee-wee or HS football. There's probably a reason for that. I blame Matt Slauson.

Matt Slauson is the Devil.

4c52ed7695899.image.jpg

i kinda like it how he took it to the media. Im sure almost all other times they have kept these things to themselves (after the horrible patriots loss last year or others), but i think this every once in awhile is good for a team. Now those people who are criticized are being publicly held accountable which im sure gets them more motivated.

I wasn't aware of that.... perhaps not being considered to be a high character guy among your peers when you come from Belle Glade is a bit of a red flag.

I wasn't aware of that.... perhaps not being considered to be a high character guy among your peers when you come from Belle Glade is a bit of a red flag.

It could be that the "C" on his uniform doesn't stand for captain at all. I mean, have you seen that shower photo? I'm thinking Rex may have annointed him team C*cksman.

Archived