Aaron Maybin...

Vudu

I don't mind if he's not in that Ware group, but at least he's shown more speed and burst that we've lacked on that side opposite Pace for some while. At the same time Thomas was a good all around LB, even though I hate on him a lot, he was good at setting the edge and going back into coverage and I don't think Maybin or Westermann will be able to fill Thomas' shoes in those categories.

Good points. Thomas gets killed because he was a Jack-of-All-Trades, Master of None. He was a solid, all-around OLB. Unfortunately for him, at 32, last year of his contract, and a torn Achilles, his NFL career might be over. His Jets career is certainly over. The Jets will be looking for a starting OLB next year. Hopefully it will be a further developed Maybin rather than Westerman by default IMO.

Good points. Thomas gets killed because he was a Jack-of-All-Trades, Master of None. He was a solid, all-around OLB. Unfortunately for him, at 32, last year of his contract, and a torn Achilles, his NFL career might be over. His Jets career is certainly over. The Jets will be looking for a starting OLB next year. Hopefully it will be a further developed Maybin rather than Westerman by default IMO.

Tough break for Thomas. I don't know if Maybin or Westermann will be the starting OLB next year. Neither looked like anything more than just a pure pass rusher and I don't know if that's enough for Rex to claim one of them the starter, especially if they don't set the edge and give up big runs on the outside which we saw a couple of times last night.

Great points, but he is still 6'4" and, hopefully, he can spend a whole offseason with the Jets to pack on some weight. He got sick in the offseason and got down to 228lbs. He should be in the 245lbs range. He'll never be in the Ware/Abe/Merrimen range of 260-265lbs.

And, Maybin will be a RFA. Every player with less than 4 seasons of NFL experience is a RFA regardless if they were cut, not re-signed, etc. It's the length of NFL experience that matters, not what the prior team did.

The one worry I have with that is I remember he was always really small in college. Im sure Bit should have some thoughts on it. As I remember it he was more or less a 230 lb player at Penn State and then packed on huge mass for his pro day, with most assuming he was using HGH to avoid testing. If its true Im not sure he can naturally go back to being close to 250.

I never really thought Maybin was a dog, but I don't remember his motor ever jumping off the screen the way it has the past few games either. This could be the name that fills in the blanks in that player with all the talent in the world who just needed Rex to reach him story everybody's been waiting two years to write.

The one worry I have with that is I remember he was always really small in college. Im sure Bit should have some thoughts on it. As I remember it he was more or less a 230 lb player at Penn State and then packed on huge mass for his pro day, with most assuming he was using HGH to avoid testing. If its true Im not sure he can naturally go back to being close to 250.

There were times when you wouldn't have thought he was an ounce over 215. I think he played at 225 or so most of the time. I don't think it matters all that much. He's fast and plays hard. Worst case scenario we get him a number in the 40s and call him the rush DB.

Yeah, we'll have to see if he can fill out by next year. He won't have to pack on weight in a short period of time, but he does have the frame to add mass.

Yep

His playing weight will be around 235+. About where he is now. Just not big enough for an OLB. Guy's motor will keep him in the league.

He's playing ST's right now for the first time in his life. So far he hasn't had much impact on teams. With his size/speed he should be able to be coached up.

He's only getting 5-6 snaps a game, and consistently making 1 or 2 impact plays. If he can play specials he's a keeper

he's 23 and it's conceivable that with hard work in a pro strength program he could get up to 240 area and be useful on more than purely passing situations.

I don't think we ever want Maybin in a Garrett McIntyre role of wedge blocker on KO return or blocking for the punter under heavy pressure. He's always gonna be on the lanky side but that's who he is. Westerman is also undersized and can be run over (happened a couple times last night, including Reggie Bush's first play from scrimmage)

Maybin is like a porche, mcintyre is like a ford f150, a football team needs both types. down the line they could have a McIntyre type on 1st down and a Maybin type on 3rd down, in a rotation.

he's 23 and it's conceivable that with hard work in a pro strength program he could get up to 240 area and be useful on more than purely passing situations.

I don't think we ever want Maybin in a Garrett McIntyre role of wedge blocker on KO return or blocking for the punter under heavy pressure. He's always gonna be on the lanky side but that's who he is. Westerman is also undersized and can be run over (happened a couple times last night, including Reggie Bush's first play from scrimmage)

Maybin is like a porche, mcintyre is like a ford f150, a football team needs both types. down the line they could have a McIntyre type on 1st down and a Maybin type on 3rd down, in a rotation.

I would be fine with that, having McIntyre and Maybin complementing each other. Thomas was good as a jack of all trades as we stated earlier, but he's coming off a torn achilles, is 32, and his contract his up after this season. If McIntyre can set the edge and cover with Maybin producing as a pass rusher then I'm happy. At this point a rotation might be better considering everything going on with Thomas. A rotation would help keep players fresh anyways.

Has McIntyre even seen the LB rotation? McIntyre will be 27 yrs old next month. I know you say "McIntyre type" but a McIntyre type" is an old, JAG career special teamer. The Jets need much more than that as a starting OLB next year.

Thomas was injured early in the season. We'll see where he is health wise next camp. He will be an UFA with little value at 33 off an Achilles injury. Could be back for vets min.

I suspect they will draft an OLB early next year if there is a value there. Maybin isn't good at the POA, but he can, and will, chase plays down across the field.

Think he has found his team. I was really afraid the Ghost was going to do this when he was cut. Jets came out on top in that exchange of busts

Has McIntyre even seen the LB rotation? McIntyre will be 27 yrs old next month. I know you say "McIntyre type" but a McIntyre type" is an old, JAG career special teamer. The Jets need much more than that as a starting OLB next year.

Yeah, no idea what that's about. McIntyre's lucky if he's an employed old JAG special-teamer this time next week.

Thomas was injured early in the season. We'll see where he is health wise next camp. He will be an UFA with little value at 33 off an Achilles injury. Could be back for vets min.

I suspect they will draft an OLB early next year if there is a value there. Maybin isn't good at the POA, but he can, and will, chase plays down across the field.

Think he has found his team. I was really afraid the Ghost was going to do this when he was cut. Jets came out on top in that exchange of busts

Speaking of, where is he now? Sitting on his couch waiting to badmouth the next coach who tries him out?

Yeah, we'll have to see if he can fill out by next year. He won't have to pack on weight in a short period of time, but he does have the frame to add mass.

No homo but the dude has no a$$. Look at all the OLBS/DEs who can stop the run in the NFL, all have big backsides. That body type (lower body strength) is needed to stop the run.

He's nothing more than a pass rusher, which is fine as long as the coaching staff doesnt think otherwise.

yes I agree it might not be McIntyre it might be a different player but my point is Maybin at 230 isn't going to be good enough for running downs. They might need a rotation with 255+ OLB for that 3-4 defense. Unless you draft a Calvin Pace or break the checkbook for him I don't know where they can find a 255 pound OLB who can run like the wind.

Another option is simply more 46 bear fronts on running downs, they did that yesterday quite a bit.

Archived