Future at OLB/DLine/Safety

hawksown14

Going into the season if you asked any Jets fan what our main problem on defense was, I think 90% of us would have answered : Our Pass Rush.

Everyone knew that the Safeties where a problem, but everyone also knows that we don't run a traditional safety set. We don't even have a starting FS, we are basically starting two Strong Safeties.

Now if you asked Jets fans what the problem is? It's the safeties. I think our OLB's have proven this year that they can play. Pace is playing great, Maybin has proved too me that he's legit, and Westerman is finally showing us what we all expected him too.

Big daddy Mo Wilkerson has been a great sigh of relief. He's what we drafted, and with the great performance that Kenrick Ellis had against the Dolphins, I think we can all agree that he's going to be a force. (He literally demanded a double team every single time.)

What do you think the Jets are going to do in this up coming draft? I think it's quite obvious. They're going to be drafting a Safety in the first round, unless of course they get a high draft pick, they're going to take one of the good OLBs in this draft.

Who do you want? There's the kid in Alabama, Robert Lester who's easily the best safety in the draft. Now lets just say they decide to take the route of OLB, they best available guy will most likely be another 'Bama player, Courtney Upshaw. He isn't just a speed rusher, he's a force. He can stop the run and can rush the passer.

The main point of this thread is just so I can tell you guys too relax, and wait before you start labeling players. Give a player some time to show themselves off (Like Plaxico, or like we've done for Sanchez).

GO JETS!!!!

This should probably be in the NFL draft thread but anyways.

We definitely need to address safety. It's nice to see Leonhard back, but something needs to be done about the position next to him. We need someone taller who can run with a TE especially when you play NE who has two solid pass catching TE's.

I would be happy with either Lester or Upshaw. I've watched numerous highlights of them both and they look good. Bama's defense as a whole is playing insane though, I think it's gonna really shoot a lot of players stock way up.

The main point of this thread is just so I can tell you guys too relax, and wait before you start labeling players. Give a player some time to show themselves off (Like Plaxico, or like we've done for Sanchez).

GO JETS!!!!

Agreed!!!! We need wait the players have time to show the skills the guys have! Our next draft i hope to be amazing!!!

Cya!!!

since we are talking about the future, this is not an easy team to project team needs. They are 3-3 and to hear everyone complain you'd think this roster is terrible, but in actuality, they don't have alot of obvious needs that dictate a first round pick. RT, S and ILB aren't usually first round pick type positions. They haven't drafted a WR since Santana Moss in rd 1 and this might be the year to reload on that end. But really the Jets are gonna be in a best player available scenario and could really draft almost any position besides QB, LT and OC and it wouldn't be a surprise. They could draft another CB. Rex loves those CBs.

since we are talking about the future, this is not an easy team to project team needs. They are 3-3 and to hear everyone complain you'd think this roster is terrible, but in actuality, they don't have alot of obvious needs that dictate a first round pick. RT, S and ILB aren't usually first round pick type positions. They haven't drafted a WR since Santana Moss in rd 1 and this might be the year to reload on that end. But really the Jets are gonna be in a best player available scenario and could really draft almost any position besides QB, LT and OC and it wouldn't be a surprise. They could draft another CB. Rex loves those CBs.

Please not another 1st round CB. That sounds like too much money to tie into CB's alone.

Any safety not named Eric Smith would be just fantatic.

That said, I would be absolutely shocked if the Jets went safety in the first round. It's a position the Jets just clearly don't put that high of priority on. It'll probably be one of their mid-round priorities along with OL and perhaps even a "backup" QB (I have to imagine Tanny's going to want to make some sort of move to hedge his bets to avoid going down if Sanchez ultimately fails). OL could possibly get boosted further up in priority if there is a combination of these circumstances that could all be realistic: just about giving up on Vlad, wanting to upgrade from Hunter and/or looking for a future (or possibly even immediate) replacement for Moore. If a top OLB prospect is available I don't think there's any doubt they'll go that direction.

Beyond that the other main priority is offensive playmakers, which this could be the year the Jets go that direction early in the draft. Holmes is obviously legit and Kerley certainly has a future, but not a single other WR on this team is a lock to return next year and Kerley isn't going to be counted on as a starter. At TE, another option beyond Keller would certainly be good for the team and Keller is also entering the last year of his rookie deal. The Jets could also surprise people and go RB, as I'm not sure it would be overly surprising if the Jets moved on from both Greene and LT at years' end, and who knows how much faith they'll have in Powell and McKnight to get the job done.

I agree. If the Jets could draft one of those big athletic WRs that can actually spread the field then they are helping Holmes, Keller, Sanchez and the running game. But it supposedly takes a long time for these guys to develop into reliable NFL-caliber WRs. Though this year two guys seem to have jumped right into it (Jones and Green) - but both were drafted much higher than we hope the Jets will draft.

Please not another 1st round CB. That sounds like too much money to tie into CB's alone.

learned from the cromartie thread that 4 year deal was essentially a 2 year deal, they could draft another CB in rd 1 and cut bait with Antonio Cromartie after 2012. Also remember if someone gets hurt they can't throw Marques Cole out there and expect to run the same type of D.

it supposedly takes a long time for these guys to develop into reliable NFL-caliber WRs. Though this year two guys seem to have jumped right into it (Jones and Green) - but both were drafted much higher than we hope the Jets will draft.

exactly unless the prospect is like Calvin Johnson (or Julio Jones/AJ Green) they won't take a WR and wait 3 years for him to learn the route tree. the Jets love to sign FA or trade for malcontents. If they do draft a WR it's in rd 4 or 5. Even this Derrick Mason signing is a peek into their mindset they don't want to develop a WR they want him to show up and be a polished route runner.

exactly unless the prospect is like Calvin Johnson (or Julio Jones/AJ Green) they won't take a WR and wait 3 years for him to learn the route tree. the Jets love to sign FA or trade for malcontents. If they do draft a WR it's in rd 4 or 5. Even this Derrick Mason signing is a peek into their mindset they don't want to develop a WR they want him to show up and be a polished route runner.

Cause they know this offense can't develop anyone anyways?

Bit, you made the same statement last draft and the Jets went with Mo. The Jets don't draft pure BAP. They draft BAP at a position of need.

Plus, we have to look at FA first to see what the needs are. This yr was odd because FA happened after the draft. Tanny likes to fill holes in FA and then look to the draft to add to the roster.

We have no idea who'll the Jets would draft until we get an idea for who they're targetting in FA. That said, we all know the upgrade areas. But CB isn't one of them.

Specifically as to WRs, it's pretty obvious to me that the starting WRs next year will be Holmes and Kerley. They'll look to add a 3rd WR via FA.

Bit, you made the same statement last draft and the Jets went with Mo. The Jets don't draft pure BAP. They draft BAP at a position of need.

Plus, we have to look at FA first to see what the needs are. This yr was odd because FA happened after the draft. Tanny likes to fill holes in FA and then look to the draft to add to the roster.

We have no idea who'll the Jets would draft until we get an idea for who they're targetting in FA. That said, we all know the upgrade areas. But CB isn't one of them.

Specifically as to WRs, it's pretty obvious to me that the starting WRs next year will be Holmes and Kerley. They'll look to add a 3rd WR via FA.

Unless they're in position for Blackmon or the kid from Oklahoma

I may be partial to Nick Toon because of his dad but I have watched him for a few seasons now. I would love for him to come here. The way he is playing I could see him being picked at the end of the first round, which is where I hope we will be.

Why on earth was defensive line a need going into the draft? If anything this draft was BAP.

Archived