The Jets Are Going To Beat The Piss Out Of The Chargers

stoicsentry

Link

It's from Deadspin, but nevertheless, some interesting points were made... interesting facts cited...

Oddities: The Steelers—the 4-2 Steelers!—laying but four to the woeful Cardinals, who haven't won since the first week of the season; Kyle Boller driving down the line so far that Todd Haley's Wretched Machine only gets four points on the road, despite all its injuries; the 2-3 Cowboys laying nearly two touchdowns to an NFL team! You'd be advised to hop on the Raiders and Steelers at those prices, because, whatever the two teams' troubles, Arizona and the Chiefs are worse, much worse. (The Rams-Cowboys line is trouble either way.)

But none of these is the weekend's jaw-droppingest line. That belongs to San Diego (-2) at the Jets. Anyone who backs the Chargers has lost his damn mind, and, in turn, his money. Because the Jets aren't losing to the Chargers this weekend. It will not happen.

Let's approach this traditionally, first: The Chargers have won four and lost one, the Jets have won three and lost three. Maybe that would suggest betting on San Diego.

But, lord, look at the four wins and the three losses. New York lost to Baltimore, Oakland, and New England, three teams that have combined for a 13-4 record. San Diego beat Minnesota, Miami, Denver, and Kansas City. They're a combined 4-17. And San Diego won those four games by a combined 25 points. The Jets have won their three games (including a victory over those same Dolphins) by a combined 50 points. The Jets lost by nine to the Patriots, the Chargers lost by 14.

And then consider advanced stats, which stand up even straighter for the Jets: Football Outsiders ranks the Jets as the fourth best team in the NFL by its all-encompassing DVOA metric. The Chargers are 22nd. The Jets' defense is second in the league; their special teams is third. Sure, the offense is middling—21st—but they can go the whole game without turning it over, and score a little here and there, and that's usually good enough to win. The Chargers have a 14th-ranked offense, and a 23rd-ranked defense, and a 29th-ranked special teams. This is a juggernaut? Hobbling Antonio Gates and the Tolbert-Mathews tandem? Phil Rivers, who has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns, is going to beat Darrelle Revis and Rex Ryan's schemes? Eric Weddle and company will shut out the Jets? Nuh-uh.

Take whatever's left in your account and put it on the Jets. Just this once, believe in Bad Beats.

When you cannot score early in games and never know which defense wil show up from series to series it is difficult to win.

Nothing the team has shown this season suggests the Jets blow out the Chargers. A win today changes the mindset of this team but I just don't have confidence in that.

It's a nice pep talk. The Chargers aren't as good as their record. However....

Despite their statistical faults, the Chargers have shown a knack for winning. This team can beat us.

One of our biggest problems since the start of the season has been the attitude that since we went to the conference championship game two years in a row, all we have to do is show up and the rest of the league lays down for us all the way to the SuperBowl. Now we are finding out that's not the way it works. I'm a lot more concerned that this team gets itself together mentally and plays on both sides of the ball than I am in looking at statistics which say the other guys don't belong on the same field with us.

The stat that I like is Rivers has thrown more picks than TD's and we are up there on the leagues most interceptions. We are pressuring the qb and picking him off this season. The run D has been a problem but I am really liking Ellis coming on to help stuff the middle of the line.

The chargers can obviously beat us, but anyone thinking that the Jets don't have a chance is sadly mistaken. I think we come out firing and beat these guys the manly way. By punching them right in the face!

Jets 28

Chargers 17

Archived