Cowher and Gruden interested in Miami

Integrity28

And very possibly Andrew Luck.

If I'm either of those guys, at the end of the year if the Fins have the top pick, I check in with Luck, and take that job in a heartbeat if he says he's coming.

which is what fat tuna should've done with Manning... instead he stubbornly refused to promise to draft him

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now the Dolphins are the least attractive situation for Andrew Luck. The team is awful and needs a hell of a lot more than a QB to even become a .500 team let alone a team anyone fears.

Their owner is a complete jackass who totally botched his QB and coach situation this year. Remember how Jim Harbaugh used them to up his price in San Fran. He met with Ross. You really don't think Luck's father is in touch with Harbaugh?

I'd be willing to bet Miami's suckiness is the main reason rumors are starting to surface about Luck pulling an Eli/Elway.

Don't be surprised to see Andrew Luck in a 49ers uniform this time next year regardless of their draft position, especially if Miami holds the #1 pick.

This is the Fish's real problem.

Ross is a total dork. He has a Hollywood, and hands on mentality. Problem is he knows nothing about football, or dealing with football people.

He thinks selling shares to stars is going to put asses in the seats, and points on the board.

As long as he is the owner the Fish are going to have major problems

QB > Owner...

They very well may not get the QB because of their owner.

Oliver Luck: Hey Jim, you interviewed with Stephen Ross, what can you tell me about him?

Jim Harbaugh: Oliver, you do not want Andrew to play for that guy. He's a joke. He makes Bill Bidwell and Mike Brown look like smart football men.

Remember, they have to hire the coach BEFORE the draft. Luck won't be there already when Ross starts interviewing coaches.

Who knows, they could very well be interested, although I think Gruden is much more likely to be looking at that job than Cowher, who's already passed on much more attractive offers these past few years. That said, I don't buy for a second that a draft pick is going to be some sort of huge selling point for a potential HC. I love how people act like we don't hear this "best prospect in decades" crap about somebody every single year, because we do. That doesn't mean it's not true in this case, but just like with many past "sure thing" prospects, it doesn't mean Luck is guaranteed to do a damn thing in the NFL. Without the proper supporting cast, no young QB is going to turn out to be anything, so to pretend like anyone is destined for greatness is naive. All you need to do is put him behind a crappy OL that gets him beaten to hell his first few years in the league and watch him become David Carr 2.0.

People often give far too little credit to the situation a player goes to as a factor for their development and success, particularly with QBs. Is there anyone who really thinks Aaron Rodgers would be considered the best in the league right now if rather than getting 3 years to sit behind a future HOF QB and then taking over a very talented team, he was a day one rookie starter for the 49ers? Sure, he'd probably be better than Alex Smith, but that doesn't take a whole lot. Of course, if handled right it's very possible that Luck can develop into a top NFL QB, but a sh*tty team with one potential future star who's years from making your team a contender (if for no other reason, the lack of talent on the rest of the team) is not going to be the difference that has coaches running to take the job.

Lmao So now Gruden and Cowher are bad coaches. The only reason your hating on Cowher is because he could be Miami's next coach.

Lets look at their careers. Cowher choked in 95, team collapsed afterwards, nearly got fired after the 2000 season, choked in 04, got to the Super Bowl because Kimo took out Palmer, won the Super Bowl because of the referees, and choked again the very next year.

Gruden won a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team, which was a contender before he got their, collapsed after that, and won more than 9 games one time in the 6 seasons after that for a total post 2002 record (when the core of Dungy's team went elsewhere) of 45-53, and managed to piss off everyone around him. Not fearing either one.

Because Gruden was so good in Tampa. He won a SB with a team that was knocking on the door for a few years before he got there, then fell flat on his face after that. Not to mention he always seems to alienate his players. And Cowher outside of 05, Cowher was the definition of choke artist.

Right, but weren't his Raiders in the same position?

That's like the golden sports radio argument in Tampa.

Right, but weren't his Raiders in the same position?

That's like the golden sports radio argument in Tampa.

And look what happened to them in the game and after it. They lost fewer than 10 games once since. They got through the season and the playoffs in a very mediocre year for the AFC (The #1 seed (Oakland) was 11-5) .

This is the Fish's real problem.

Ross is a total dork. He has a Hollywood, and hands on mentality. Problem is he knows nothing about football, or dealing with football people.

He thinks selling shares to stars is going to put asses in the seats, and points on the board.

As long as he is the owner the Fish are going to have major problems

Winning cures all ills.

If Cowher and Luck (assuming hes all that) go to Miami, its not good for the rest of the teams in the AFCE.

What does this have to do with anything? The bottom line is the Jets w/ Rex and Sanchez are a winning ball club who have made it to the postseason 2 straight seasons, along with another team from the same division...and now there's another making a push. Thats a very competitive landscape. The fear or lack there of for Sanchez is irrelevant.

And I just disagree. Luck doesnt instantly make Miami an attractive job.

It matters because you mentioned the BB/Brady duo in the same sentence as Rex/Sanchez, and that really doesn't bear much merit at this point.

It matters because you mentioned the BB/Brady duo in the same sentence as Rex/Sanchez, and that really doesn't bear much merit at this point.

Why not?

As much as you hate Sanchez and this Jets team, the bottom line is, over the last 2 seasons Rex and Sanchez have been more successful than BB and Brady.

And the point is more or less about how competitive this division is...Luck isnt going to instantly make the Dolphags contenders...not a chance. Especially with the Bills emerging.

yes it does. Are you insane

No, it really doesnt. They are quickly becoming one of the biggest jokes in all of sports. Andrew Luck does not solve that problem and he doesnt change the moronic nature of how that organization is ran.

I'm sorry, but I just dont see a big name HC heading to Miami. They hire the next hot HC coordinator prospect or they go to the college ranks.

Why not?

As much as you hate Sanchez and this Jets team, the bottom line is, over the last 2 seasons Rex and Sanchez have been more successful than BB and Brady.

And the point is more or less about how competitive this division is...Luck isnt going to instantly make the Dolphags contenders...not a chance. Especially with the Bills emerging.

Because, this Jets team has still never won the division. They've never been dominant, and gotten pretty thoroughly beaten in the AFC championship games they were in.

That doesn't make them a horrible team, but it also doesn't make a future head coach say, "I'm going to pass on the best QB prospect since Manning because because I don't want to play have to play the Jets twice a year". That's just an extremely Jetscentric view of the league.

Just because the Jets talk about other teams fearing them doesn't actually make it true.

Because, this Jets team has still never won the division. They've never been dominant, and gotten pretty thoroughly beaten in the AFC championship games they were in.

That doesn't make them a horrible team, but it also doesn't make a future head coach say, "I'm going to pass on the best QB prospect since Manning because because I don't want to play have to play the Jets twice a year". That's just an extremely Jetscentric view of the league.

Just because the Jets talk about other teams fearing them doesn't actually make it true.

Thoroughly beaten? The Jets damn near came back and won the damn thing last year. Sure, the Steelers punched the Jets in the mouth to start the game but the Jets shut their asses out in the second half and nearly won. The final score was only 24-19. It really wasn't that long ago.

The year before that the Jets led at halftime and only fell off when the starting RB and one of the starting CBs went down they couldn't run at all and the defense literally didn't have enough bodies to match up.

Neither of those games qualify as "thorough" beatings.

You're missing three key things.

1. The Dolphins will have to hire a head coach before they can draft anyone, including Andrew Luck.

2. Even if they have the number one pick, they are still not guaranteed to get Andrew Luck so they really can't use that as a selling point in their coaching search.

3. Their owner is a blithering idiot who's already botched one coaching hunt.

What? Dude, I know you are really down on this team right now, but you are talking crazy.

They had a half time lead in the first AFCCG and they were a stupid goalline situation away from the Super Bowl last year after completely shutting down 3 SB winning HOF potential QB's on the road. You dont think those offensive units wanted to see a different defense? Come'on man, I know you hate this team right now, but give a little credit where its due.

And who gives a **** about the division? You think the Packers are crying over not winning the NFCN last season?

And its not just the Jets. Its BB/Brady and the emerging Bills. And yes, I think a big name HC looks at that team and instantly realizes that Andrew Luck will do little to nothing to make them a contender, in their ownd division let alone the league. Miami is in complete and utter shambles.

Maybe a QB guru like Gruden would take it because of the chance to work with Luck, but I just dont see anyone that wants to win going to the Maimi because A) they are awful and one of the worst organization in all of sports and B) they are not going to be competitive in their own division long enough for that HC to last.

No, it really doesnt. They are quickly becoming one of the biggest jokes in all of sports. Andrew Luck does not solve that problem and he doesnt change the moronic nature of how that organization is ran.

I'm sorry, but I just dont see a big name HC heading to Miami. They hire the next hot HC coordinator prospect or they go to the college ranks.

If they get luck, coaches will be falling over themselves to go there.

How many times does this need to be explained? They will be hiring a new head coach PRIOR to the 2012 draft.

omg... how many times do you need to be told that a prospective coach will put out feelers.. you dolt

but when the Colts wind up with the #1 pick that job will look less enticing.

Even if the Dolphins wind up with the number 1 pick there's no guarantee they get Andrew Luck - he still has another year of eligibility he could use if he doesn't want to play for the team with the #1 pick, he could pull and Eli and refuse to play for the team with the #1 pick, his arm could fall off.

What? Dude, I know you are really down on this team right now, but you are talking crazy.

They had a half time lead in the first AFCCG and they were a stupid goalline situation away from the Super Bowl last year after completely shutting down 3 SB winning HOF potential QB's on the road. You dont think those offensive units wanted to see a different defense? Come'on man, I know you hate this team right now, but give a little credit where its due.

And who gives a **** about the division? You think the Packers are crying over not winning the NFCN last season?

And its not just the Jets. Its BB/Brady and the emerging Bills. And yes, I think a big name HC looks at that team and instantly realizes that Andrew Luck will do little to nothing to make them a contender, in their ownd division let alone the league. Miami is in complete and utter shambles.

Maybe a QB guru like Gruden would take it because of the chance to work with Luck, but I just dont see anyone that wants to win going to the Maimi because A) they are awful and one of the worst organization in all of sports and B) they are not going to be competitive in their own division long enough for that HC to last.

The Jets never tied the game, let alone took the lead you were assuming. Everyone just extrapolates that the Jets would have won if they scored there. If that were the case, why werent' they able to stop the Steelers and get the ball back at the end?

As for the year before, we jumped out to a lead, but once Manning started rolling, late second half, we had no answer and the game was over.

Point being, the Jets are no reason to walk away from a job with the best young QB in whenever.

The Jets never tied the game, let alone took the lead you were assuming. Everyone just extrapolates that the Jets would have won if they scored there. If that were the case, why werent' they able to stop the Steelers and get the ball back at the end?

As for the year before, we jumped out to a lead, but once Manning started rolling, late second half, we had no answer and the game was over.

Point being, the Jets are no reason to walk away from a job with the best young QB in whenever.

Dude, if Strickland doesn't get hurt the Colts never get the huge matchup advantage that won them the game. We could do this all night.

Cool. Well, the Pats+Jets+Bills would be enough to walk away from for someone who wants to win now or in the near future. And Luck, aint changing that for the Dolphags. Not a chance.

Cool. Well, the Pats+Jets+Bills would be enough to walk away from for someone who wants to win now or in the near future. And Luck, aint changing that for the Dolphags. Not a chance.

Again, Pats are at the end of their line, and what have the Bills really done?

So, what you're saying is that Donald Strictkland was the Jets undoing. Stop.

It's called a memory.

Go back and watch the game! We literally didn't have enough bodies to match up when Strickland got hurt. Not saying that Donald Strickland is all that. I'm saying that the Jets didn't have enough CBs to cover everybody and it killed us because we had to put one of the safeties or a LB on a WR and that was the ballgame. At least with Strickland in we had a fighting chance.

Again, Pats are at the end of their line, and what have the Bills really done?

I dont think the Pats are at the end of their line. Brady has at least 3-4 great years left in him, IMO. And we've seen they are still and 11 team even without him...so...

The Bills have done enough to make it that much harder on the teams not named the Patriots in the AFCE to make the playoffs.

It's called a memory.

Go back and watch the game! We literally didn't have enough bodies to match up when Strickland got hurt. Not saying that Donald Strickland is all that. I'm saying that the Jets didn't have enough CBs to cover everybody and it killed us because we had to put one of the safeties or a LB on a WR and that was the ballgame. At least with Strickland in we had a fighting chance.

Your memory is biased and irrelevant. It's based on how you want to remember the game. I can provide a dozen articles explaining why that's the case.

I'll just ask why when Sanchez plays well for a portion of a game, is it all him. But Manning steps up and goes Manning on us, and we talk about Donald Strickland's injury as the cause for the loss.

Archived