#1 red zone offense

stoicsentry

3rd in average starting field position

26th in yards/drive

17th in points/drive

22nd in percentage of drives ending in a punt

23rd in opponent's starting field position

That 3rd in starting field position would partly explain the low yards per drive average. This happened in other years. The Jets have generally started on short fields under Westoff. The difference now is the RZ success.

The Jets are currently 6th in points scored and they have not had ST or D returns in some weeks.

I understand that the starting field position might reduce the yards per drive, but wouldn't the good field position for the other team sort of indicate the offense still hasn't moved the ball much? I'm pretty sure that the kickoff coverage has been solid this year, so what else could it be?

Tom Moore was brought in specifically to help with the red zone offense. If you remember back to the articles from when it was first announced. I guess coaches really don't matter.

Actually, Fouts made it a point to mention that Cavanaugh has been tasked with improving the red zone offense this year and that he spends time each week working on it in practice.

I understand that the starting field position might reduce the yards per drive, but wouldn't the good field position for the other team sort of indicate the offense still hasn't moved the ball much? I'm pretty sure that the kickoff coverage has been solid this year, so what else could it be?

Hence, why I included that tidbit... that and the points/drive indicate that the defense deserves its fair share of credit for any offensive success.

Archived