The Jets 2012 Coaching Staff

flgreen

I never understood why teams do that. Bring in life long DB’s to coach DL.

Funny thing is, the DL IMO, is one of the strongest units on the team

I was just talking to a guy that works for the Jets and he just told me Carrier was gone. I thought it was odd having him coach DBs, but you can't argue with the results. The Jets D-line was solid or better during his time here. FWIW, that was the position Rex was most involved with, so he probably helped out.

Surprised they didn't give Sparano an opportunity to bring his own guy in. It is usually a good idea to start fresh with these sorts of situations. My guess is they couldn't convince any other decent or equal QB coaches to come to the Jets and roll the dice on Sanchez, so they figure just keep him. They would probably have to over pay for a good QB coach to come here and compensate him for the risk involved with potentially ruining his coaching career.

Rex wasn't allowed to bring in his own guy in when he came by, but Cavanaugh was one of his hires. He came over with Rex from Baltimore. I don't see why everybody is so sure Cavanaugh is to blame for Sanchez. You can't crucify Schottenheimer and everybody else involved. It doesn't take a bad QB, bad OC and bad QB coach to make things go poorly for the offense. They don't even have to be bad, they only have to be a bad fit.

Did you ever SEE Matt Cavanaugh PLAY quarterback? He was as bad a QB as he is a QB coach

being a star player isn't a prerequisite for position coach. Over a dozen years behind center means he's seen it all and can impart his experience on Sanchez. Experience is the biggest hole in Sanchez' resume considering he started one season in college and came out as a junior, only to be thrown into one of the most complex (overly complex) offensive systems in the league. Cavanaugh is neither a problem nor a savior. It all rests with how quickly Mark can adjust to a new system, and how well Sparano can tailor his system to Mark's strengths.

Archived