Possible player Jets have an interest in

Jetscode1

Lucas Nix OG from Pitt.

Lucas Nix has been working out with Dom DeCicco and Jason Pinkston for years, so the fact the three of them have been training together almost daily since the football season ended should really come as no surprise.

However, for Nix, these workouts feel a little different.

That's because, very soon, Nix will be joining DeCicco and Pinkston in the NFL.

Nix, a Thomas Jefferson High School graduate, grew up playing sports with DeCicco, and the two went on to star together with the Jaguars. After high school, however, both players took their football skills to Pitt, where they became teammates with Pinkston, a fellow South Hills product from Baldwin.

However, DeCicco and Pinkston are older than Nix, and last year he watched as they became NFL players: DeCicco a linebacker/special teams player with the and Pinkston a guard with theNow, it's his turn.

Nix, a 6-foot-6, 317-pound offensive lineman, returned from the NFL scouting combine on Saturday, and there the reality of his NFL future started to sink in."The combine was the first thing that really opened my eyes," Nix said. "That's where you start getting treated like a grown man. It's down to business."

Nix explained the combine was a valuable experience. There, he interacted with personnel from every , underwent a slew of medical exams and psychological tests, and worked out in front of scouts.

Nix missed much of his senior year at Pitt with a knee injury, so the medical exams were especially important.

"The first two days there, during the day, you go through all sorts of medical stuff," he said. "They look at your blood work, heart rate, everything you can think of ... they all looked at my knee, and it checked out fine."

As far as physical tests, Nix participated in the vertical leap, recording a 29.5-inch jump, and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 seconds.

He was interviewed briefly by people from each NFL team, and representatives from the New Orleans Saints, New York Jets and engaged Nix in more lengthy interviews.

He said teams expressed interest about him playing both guard and tackle, both positions he played at Pitt.

"Every team I talked to, I wanted to express that I was comfortable at both," he said.

Even before the combine, Nix was an NFL prospect with an impressive pedigree and an eye-opening resume.

During his TJ days, he was a pure beast for the Jaguars. He was part of three WPIAL Class AAA championships and two PIAA championships, and was selected to the Tribune-Review's Terrific 25, the Big 33 Football Classic and the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Nix arrived at Pitt as one of the most coveted offensive line prospects in the country. He played sparingly as a freshman, then became a full-time starter at as a sophomore. By the time he was a junior, he was regarded as one of the best offensive linemen in the Big East Conference. Additionally, he showed impressive versatility, playing plenty at both tackle and guard because of injuries. Nix started his senior season strong but suffered a knee injury against South Florida on Sept. 29, and didn't return until Pitt's Nov. 25 game with West Virginia.

However, Nix had shown more than enough to catch the eye of pro scouts.

Many draft experts predict he will be selected between the second and fourth rounds. NFLdraftscout.com has him ranked as the draft's ninth-best guard. The next big step in his NFL quest will be at Pitt's pro day on Monday, which is a personal audition of sorts for senior members of the Pitt team. After that, it's the NFL draft April 26-28.

"This is an exciting time for me and my family," he said. "I'm pumped."

http://www.yoursouth....com/node/21026

...aaaand he had the same 40 and vert as DeCastro. ;) 3 cone and shuttle not so much but whatevs. Anyway yep, solid 3rd-4th round pick.

Nice article!

Dude, I've come to your way of thinking...right now my top 3: Hightower, DeCastro, and Barron. But Nix looks solid in the mid rounds...

Dude, I've come to your way of thinking...right now my top 3: Hightower, DeCastro, and Barron. But Nix looks solid in the mid rounds...

Yep, I'm trying to let go of the DeCastro thing though. Word is they WILL NOT draft an OL in the first. Hence this thread should be even more relevant. I'm pushing away from any idea of Barron too. They desperately need to finally land a pass rusher or a force like Hightower.

Yep, I'm trying to let go of the DeCastro thing though. Word is they WILL NOT draft an OL in the first. Hence this thread should be even more relevant. I'm pushing away from any idea of Barron too. They desperately need to finally land a pass rusher or a force like Hightower.

Double Good.

This article is the perfect reason why I dont like taking interior or strong side lineman early. You can find talent in the mid to late rounds. And as bad as we need safety Barron is not worth it at 16. If one of these Ingram, Upshaw, Whitney, Hightower arent there, I want Floyd.

Double Good.

This article is the perfect reason why I dont like taking interior or strong side lineman early. You can find talent in the mid to late rounds. And as bad as we need safety Barron is not worth it at 16. If one of these Ingram, Upshaw, Whitney, Hightower arent there, I want Floyd.

Understood but DeCastro will be an All Pro for the next 10 years.

Double Good.

Really? A WR in round 1. Give me a break...the success rate for WR is what exactly? I'd rather have DeCastro...

Archived