Is Vinny Curry really that impressive?

RyanBe_Tweetin

I've seen a lot of posts on this site that say Curry the best pass rusher in the draft and that he's a beast. I'll admit I don't know much about the kid other than the fact that he played for Marshall. I'd love to see some highlights if anyone has a video they want to post in here. Trying to get away from all the Tebow talk/ Tebow fan boys.

Most productive pass rusher in the draft...Hard to go after a guy with almost 50 TFL and 30 sacks in 3 years of starting...throw in a 6'3" 264 pound frame, a good motor, a solid three cone, and an improved 40 time significantly at his pro day and he's got alot going for him.

Big worries besides level of competition is that his broad jump and vertical weren't all that impressive. I think he might have improved the vert at his pro day but I'm too lazy to check.

Gut call I think he can be a pretty good 3-4 OLB with some coaching and NFL steroids. It's really hard to knock his ability to get after the QB.

Most productive pass rusher in the draft...Hard to go after a guy with almost 50 TFL and 30 sacks in 3 years of starting...throw in a 6'3" 264 pound frame, a good motor, a solid three cone, and an improved 40 time significantly at his pro day and he's got alot going for him.

Big worries besides level of competition is that his broad jump and vertical weren't all that impressive. I think he might have improved the vert at his pro day but I'm too lazy to check.

Gut call I think he can be a pretty good 3-4 OLB with some coaching and NFL steroids. It's really hard to knock his ability to get after the QB.

The production is very impressive. I tend to be a little iffy on smaller school guys though. Wilkerson hasn't panned out as well as I would've hoped.

One the Risers from CBS Sports...

In today's NFL, teams cannot have enough pass rushers on the roster, pushing defensive ends up boards on draft weekend. Curry might benefit from this notion, but his performance at his pro day is the biggest reason for his draft stock boost. After very average numbers at the Combine last month, including a 4.92 time in the 40-yard dash, Curry improved on almost all of his numbers at Marshall's pro day. He ran a 4.64 and 4.69 in the 40-yard dash, telling those in attendance that he knew he was faster than the 4.9 time he ran in Indianapolis. Curry also produced very good results in the vertical jump (35") and bench press (28) after not lifting in Indianapolis because of a wrist injury. With a strong resume, including 22.0 tackles-for-loss and 11.0 sacks last year, and his strong workouts, it wouldn't be a shock to see Curry sneak into the initial 32 picks of the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/risersandfallers

nah he can be had later than first round.. i could see a keller situation, where we take someone and then trade up late 1st/early 2nd and grab him.. although it seems they are gravitating to the bigger name pass rushers

the good thing about signing laron landry.. while he may not answer all the questions at safety, he certainly gives us flexibility with the first couple picks

Curry has the most career sacks of anyone in the 2012 draft. Seeing him up close in Mobile, he's pure hustle. the guy is just relentless. He's got several different moves which is good.

here's my notes on him from practice:

Marshall defensive end Vinny Curry had an excellent overall day. Curry has an array of pass rush moves: he can swim, rip, push-pull and also blow by his blocker around the edge. Curry has a nice first step and plays with strength setting the edge. One thing to note, Curry was not used in linebacker drills and is likely a 4-3 hand in the dirt defensive end all the way. Other sites have this player projected to the 3-4 defense as an outside linebacker, this is probably wishful thinking. He fits one gap schemes well (for example the Minnesota Vikings, who are coaching this North squad). Curry is a likely second round pick, possibly sneaking into the late first pending workouts.

also agree that he could be an Alualu. specifically to the Jags. He fits exactly what Gene Smith wants. Senior, productive, high football character, high motor. And the Jags don't really care about reaching. They could pick Curry at 7 and everyone pans it but 6 months later, turns out to be a great pick.

Archived