What if?....

Be_a_Jet

A lot of people are talkin that the browns are takin a real hard look at tannehill. If the browns pick him, and bucs pick Claiborne, then st.louis picks Blackmon...it seems very likely that Trent Richardson could fall and be on the board at 16. Obviously RB is a minor problem when compared to other position gaps we have, and yea this is a throw first league now blah blah blah. But I just want to get peoples opinions, is saying no to perhaps the next Adrian Peterson an easy decision because we have other needs? Or do you think we will gladly snatch him up. I just haven't seen a consensus out there...so what do you guys think?

We have a lot of needs to adress in this year's draft so it'd be hard to take the best player available over positions of glaring need. But given the Jets' new found commitment to Ground & Pound smashmouth football and Richardson's talent, I think they'd run to the podium. Even Rex said that he hopes Richardson made it to 16. Although I don't see him getting past the Bucs sadly.

Jets tend to be more of a BPA team than a draft for need team, so I think they'd take Richardson in a heartbeat. And I'd want them to take Richardson too, for a few reasons. First of all, the best way to make your team better is by taking the best players that you can, and Richardson is probably one of the 3 best players in the draft and almost certainly one of the 5 best. Odds are he's the best player in the draft who has any chance of slipping to the Jets. Plus, Shonn Greene hasn't been the same back since the end of his rookie year and he's not a complete back. If the Jets improve the line then anybody will be able to have success running behind them and I get that, but getting a dominant back will help too and I don't think that they're actually that focused on improving the OL (particularly the RT spot). Which brings me to the other reason, which is that I don't think they're really that focused on filling needs. It seems like there's a good chance that they're going to leave RT alone and S and WR don't appear to be locks either. Pass rusher gets a lot of chatter early, but it's not nearly as big of a need as any of those three positions at this point IMO as there's actually some depth and starting caliber players there. If they're just going to plug those holes with later picks anyway, why not take the best player on the board instead of a pass rusher with some serious question marks?

Archived