Carl Pavano Extortion Plot

Maxman

Brian Cashman was not immediately available for comment. :)

Pavano may be target of extortion; Twins face challenges

By Jorge L. Ortiz, USA TODAY

BRADENTON, Fla. - The Minnesota Twins, who are trying to bounce back from finishing with the worst record in the majors last season, are facing some unusual challenges with their rotation.

Right-hander Carl Pavano, who has been named the team's opening day starter, may be the victim of an extortion attempt, according to Connecticut police.

The Record-Journal of Meriden, Conn., reported today that a former high school classmate of Pavano's has threatened to expose an "emotional and physical relationship" both of them had for three years while attending Southington (Conn.) High.

According to a search warrant affidavit obtained by the newspaper, Pavano's family told police that Christian Bedard, 36, of Southington tried to extort money and a luxury SUV from the pitcher.

The Twins are already missing No. 5 starter Jason Marquis, who has been absent from camp for nine days while tending to his 7-year-old daughter, who was involved in a serious bike accident last week.

In addition, right-hander Scott Baker is dealing with elbow soreness, although he'll pitch in a minor-league game Saturday.

Pavano, who was not scheduled to pitch today and did not make the trip to Bradenton for the Twins' exhibition game against the Pittsburgh Pirates, has not commented publicly.

General manager Terry Ryan said he did not have details of the case and had not spoken with Pavano, but acknowledged the issue could be a distraction with Opening Day eight days away.

"Well, it affects Carl, and we'll have to see exactly what comes about here,'' said Ryan, who first heard about the matter on the bus ride from Fort Myers to Bradenton. "I don't know enough about it. I haven't talked to him yet. I suspect I'll have more tomorrow.''

Police seized a laptop and a journal from Bedard's house last week but have not charged him with any crime.

Pavano's sister, Michelle DeGennaro, filed a complaint with Southington police in December after getting what she deemed harassing social media messages from Bedard, one of which said, "The only way your brother is getting out of this … is with a heartfelt apology and a navy Range Rover with tan leather.''

DeGennaro called Bedard's claims "fabricated, false information.''

According to the Record-Journal, Bedard said he made the comments about the SUV "in jest" and released a statement Thursday to the Associated Press saying: "I have been openly gay for most of my adult life. For years, my physical high school relationship with Carl Pavano has been well known to my close friends and family. … Michelle DeGennaro contacted me on Facebook asking under what conditions would I not talk about my relationship with Carl. I did not attempt to extort money from Carl Pavano. I have not been charged with any crime. I will allow my local police department to conclude their investigation and I will have no further comment."

Ryan said the club has stretched out pitchers in case some of the starters have to miss time early in the season, and Marquis would be a candidate for the bereavement list if he has to be away once the season starts. The veteran right-hander has been trying to keep his arm in shape by throwing to high school players.

"He's throwing bullpens. He's trying to do simulated games. He's working,'' Ryan said. "But we all know it's different. You gotta get down here and see some competition."

If this guy were to write a book(his threat if he didn't get a Range Rover with fricking laser beams or soemthing), what market might such a tome appeal to? After you get the big reveal "Carl liked it when I sucked/hesucked his/my..." on page 2 or 3 what else do you fill the book with? Carl Pavano is probably not that interesting a guy whether he's gay or not. Nobody is paying $14.95 to read this drivel.

If this guy were to write a book(his threat if he didn't get a Range Rover with fricking laser beams or soemthing), what market might such a tome appeal to? After you get the big reveal "Carl liked it when I sucked/hesucked his/my..." on page 2 or 3 what else do you fill the book with? Carl Pavano is probably not that interesting a guy whether he's gay or not. Nobody is paying $14.95 to read this drivel.

There are literally thousands of guys who would want to know the story behind the rash they got from Alyssa Milano.

Archived