SI article on Tim Duncan's career

Matt39

Awesome article, thanks for posting. Love Tim Duncan.

Best things from the article: finally admitting his playing the four as a long-standing facade and his hatred of KG. You get the sense that this is a man who rarely, if ever hates anyone and for him to hate you, then you really must be as big a douchebag as everyone thinks.

joey-crawofrd_display_image.jpg

I doubt they'd share a beer when they're in town together, but he probably looks at Joey as more of a nuisance than actually hates him. If the rumors are true about what KG said to Duncan on Mother's Day years back, then I absolutely guarantee he hates them as much as a person can hate someone.

Regardless, you know you've got some serious anger issues when you legitimately challenge someone who's got 1.5 feet and 80 lbs on ya.

If the rumors are true about what KG said to Duncan on Mother's Day years back, then I absolutely guarantee he hates them as much as a person can hate someone.

They're definitely true and Garnett was a POS for going that low. There was some quote from Artest a while back about it, Artest called Duncan a pimp because he didn't get mad or anything, he just went out, beat Garnett's a$$ on the court and then won a championship.

Hilarity.

One story among many: In the fall of 2003, during the Spurs' preseason training camp, most of the players stayed at a local hotel at the team's behest. Ferry and Steve Kerr, however, decided to commute from their homes. Both were nearing the end of their careers and had kids. They figured the hotel was intended for the younger players, to keep them in line.

On the third day of camp, Ferry and Kerr pulled up to the practice facility just as the team bus arrived from the hotel. A succession of rookies exited the bus. At the rear was Duncan, six years in the league already. He took one look at Kerr and Ferry. "Wait a second, are you guys staying at home?" Duncan asked, incredulous.

"Yup," said Kerr.

Duncan's eyes got wider. "You mean you can do that?"

Ferry stared back at him. "Tim, you're the league MVP. You can do whatever you want."

Awesome article, thanks for posting. Love Tim Duncan.

Best things from the article: finally admitting his playing the four as a long-standing facade and his hatred of KG. You get the sense that this is a man who rarely, if ever hates anyone and for him to hate you, then you really must be as big a douchebag as everyone thinks.

Never heard that story? Considering the Villaneuva comment I can only guess.

Never heard that story? Considering the Villaneuva comment I can only guess.

From what I've heard, the story goes that the during the '99 Mother's Day game, KG apparently said "happy mother's day, motherf***er" to Duncan," knowing full well that Duncan's ma died when he was 14. Most people knew that, as that and his love for swimming were really the only few personal things he ever really talked about.

They're definitely true and Garnett was a POS for going that low. There was some quote from Artest a while back about it, Artest called Duncan a pimp because he didn't get mad or anything, he just went out, beat Garnett's a$$ on the court and then won a championship.

I knew Garnett was dirty, but it's hard to imagine someone going that low; I always thought it was an unwritten rule that Mothers were off limits, especially deceased ones.

Found that quote from artest; not so surprisingly that ever since this SI article came out, everyone is bringing up old sh*t about hating KG and how Duncan is a pimp.

"Unpredictable? How about Ron Artest, the NBA's Jesse James to Duncan's Wyatt Earp. The combustible Sacramento King told Dime Magazine this season that he likes the way Duncan plays.

Artest explained: "I remember one time Kevin Garnett was mushing him, and shoving him in the face; and Tim Duncan didn't do anything, he didn't react. He just kicked Kevin Garnett's a--, and won the damn championship. You know what I'm sayin'? That's gangsta. Everybody can show emotion, dunk on somebody, scream and be real cocky; but Tim Duncan is a ... he's a pimp.""

Classic ron ron.

From what I've heard, the story goes that the during the '99 Mother's Day game, KG apparently said "happy mother's day, motherf***er" to Duncan," knowing full well that Duncan's ma died when he was 14. Most people knew that, as that and his love for swimming were really the only few personal things he ever really talked about.

Yeah. It was during pregame warmups and Duncan was shooting free throws. Word was that Duncan didn't even blink or acknowledge it in any way, but a few of the other guys around him heard it and Duncan confirmed it with a few teammates after the game.

Archived