Recapping The Jets Mini-Camp Practice Live

JetNation

2012-06-13_12-11-17_9141-150x150.jpgToday was the second day of Jets mandatory mini-camp.  Here is a recap and some observations:

Quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow lead the offense, while neither were outstanding, Sanchez was more in control.  Tebow looked a bit indecisive on his throws during drills having one intercepted.  Sanchez, more comfortable, threw the ball with zip either to a receiver or away to avoid a sack.  Offensive Coordinator Tony Sparano even praised Sanchez for not taking a sack even though the ball was incomplete, a turnover is much worse.

While Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill were limited in practice they did run routes and catch passes.  Seeing Hill live, his size is impressive and seems to catch the ball with soft hands.  He had a reputation for dropping passes during his college career but the technique looks sound and the drops should decrease with more practice at the pro level.

With Holmes and Hill out of certain drills Jeremy Kerley “picked up the slack” as he was the best receiver on the field.  Kerley had several receptions looked fast and stood out from the other receivers.  Another receiver leaving an impression was Chad Schilens (6’4”, 225).  He made nice catches ran good routes and showed speed.  Unfortunately Schilens is injury prone but if he can stay healthy there is no reason why he couldn’t contribute in the “red-zone” or moving the chains.

Tight end Dustin Keller has expressed his desire to get a contract extension and looked like he deserves one given the practice performance.  Keller is used all over the field, on the line, in the slot and out of the backfield.  He made some nice catches and should continue to be an important target for the offense.

There is a question mark about the number two tight end but Jeff Cumberland, whose season was cut short last year due to injury, practiced fully and left an impression.  Cumberland ran crisp routes, caught some balls and was on the field along with Keller and the first team offense.

Running back Joe McKnight looks bigger than last year, hard to tell if this will allow him to be more effective between the tackles but he looked fast in drills and returning kickoffs.  Terrance Ganaway, who is not known for his receiving skills, looks like a viable option in the passing game out of the backfield.  It wouldn’t be surprising to see Ganaway catching passes out of the fullback or halfback position and could be used on third down.

First team safeties were Yeremiah Bell and Eric Smith but rookie Josh Bush stood out and worked in with the first team and nickel defense.  Bush showed good range and change of direction.  LaRon Landry attended the workout and ran some warm up drills.  While still nursing an Achilles injury it was good to see he could at least jog at this point in his rehabilitation.

Linebackers Aaron Maybin and Demario Davis showed some very encouraging signs during the practice.  Maybin is bigger than last season but you’d wonder if the extra weight would slow him down.  A nice swim move on the on the center than chased down Tebow forcing him to throw the ball away showed Maybin can still run.  He was working inside and outside hopefully the new physic will allow him to utilize rushes other than the outside speed rush he often used last season.  Davis was sent on “A” gap blitzes on a regular basis.  Other times he dropped in coverage looked comfortable back pedaling with good lateral movement.  The Maybin and Davis combination should offer up some versatility especially in passing situations.

Rookie Quinton Coples is physically built for this defense no matter where they line him up.  He is tall, big and has long arms just seeing Coples up close is very impressive.  He had a solid practice looked fast and strong but his potential impact is tremendous as he grows in the defense.

Will be tweeting, @Jetnation, tomorrow live from the last day of mini-camp and have a recap article later after the practice.  Just want to give a special thanks to twitter username @Milvian for helping with updating today’s action, give her a follow.

Great follow up article to the tweets you made from camp today.

There is probably more info in this article then will be in all the articles from the pros that will follow. But of course they will all be about Sanchez, Tebow, and Revis not talking to the press again

Maybin + Davis is gonna be awesome.

I thought the same thing when Dennis tweeted that from camp. If Davis can rush the passer this line up in passing situations might be impressive.

Coples, Ellis, Wilkerson

Maybin, Davis, Pace

I thought the same thing when Dennis tweeted that from camp. If Davis can rush the passer this line up in passing situations might be impressive.

Coples, Ellis, Wilkerson

Maybin, Davis, Pace

Our big fat boys up front, making space for Scott to run head first into the fullback so Maybin and Davis can get in there to get to the QB? Awesome.

There is probably more info in this article then will be in all the articles from the pros that will follow. But of course they will all be about Sanchez, Tebow, and Revis not talking to the press again

Thanks for covering the tweets today bud! Stupid meetings. Went to a meeting today. Primary thing that came out of it was the scheduling of another meeting. Story of my life.

Anyway, let the reports begin!

Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow highlight Jets open mini-camp practice

Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 4:31 PM Updated: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 4:33 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

11173759-large.jpg

Frances Micklow/The Star-LedgerMark Sanchez and Tim Tebow were on display during today's open mini-camp practice.

The Mark Sanchez-Tim Tebow dynamic was on display to the public for the first day today, when the second practice of this week's veteran mini-camp was opened to fans. The session took place without much fuss, and just a handful of quiet Sanchez and Tebow chants.

Sanchez showed the sharpness coach Rex Ryan referenced this morning, completing 8-of-10 passes with a sack in 11-on-11 team drills, by an unofficial count. Tebow finished the day 3-of-5 in team drills with a sack.

Tebow took two snaps with the first-team offense in the red zone, despite Ryan saying Tebow would not work at all with the top unit this week. They were not Wildcat snaps. Tebow took the first snap out of the shotgun, rolled out under pressure and completed his pass. He took a snap under center on the second play, an incompletion.

Afterward, Tebow said offensive coordinator Tony Sparano slips him in for a few snaps sometimes, and not to make a big deal out of it.

Tebow threw an interception in the 7-on-7 period, snagged by DB D'Anton Lynn, son of running backs coach Anthony Lynn.

Other notes from practice:

++ WRs Santonio Holmes (hamstring) and Stephen Hill (hamstring) took part in individual drills and looked good running routes, but did not participate in team drills. DL Quinton Coples (low back) did team drills, and OLB Bryan Thomas (Achilles/shoulder) also took a few reps in the team period. LG Matt Slauson (shoulder), who did team drills for the first time this offseason yesterday, did not appear to be in for the team period today.

++ Rookies Demario Davis and Josh Bush took a few reps with the first-teamers. Bush said Ryan asked him to go in to give Eric Smith a break on a couple snaps, but it appeared the safety was also in on a sub package. Davis has worked with the first-team sub defense since being drafted in the third round.

++ Josh Brown was 3-for-3 on field goals today from 35, 36 and 44 yards, per Star-Ledger colleague Conor Orr. Nick Folk, who has been limited by a hamstring injury, was 3-of-5 with misses from 43 and 48 yards.

++ The Jets continued to show defensive fronts with four down linemen, sometimes a lineup of Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito, Muhammad Wilkerson and Coples. At this point, it's hard to tell what their plans are, though.

++ Matt Simms has taken more reps at quarterback during mini-camp than Greg McElroy, working with the third team. It probably doesn't mean anything, but worth noting.

© 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tim Tebow responds to Tedy Bruschi

By James Walker

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Former New England Patriots linebacker and current ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi had a message for Tim Tebow: Just shut up.

But the New York Jets backup quarterback had a simple response to Bruschi Wednesday when meeting with the media: He follows instructions.

"To be honest, I just do what I'm told -- and this day to talk to (reporters), so I'm gonna talk to you," Tebow said to the New York media after Day 2 of minicamp. "And to be honest, I just go about it however the Jets set it up -- the rules that they want us to (follow), who they want us to talk to, who they don't want us to talk to."

We're siding with Tebow on this one.

Tebow is not asking for this media attention. It simply follows him because of who he is. The "Patriot Way" that Bruschi is accustomed to does not apply for every team. Tebow plays for the Jets and follows their protocol.

So far, Tebow has said and done all the right things. If people want to hear Tebow speak and he’s not hurting the team, there's no harm in it.

LaRon Landry ahead of schedule as he rejoins Jets

Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 4:07 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

11173611-large.jpg

Ed Murray/The Star-LedgerLaRon Landry said he shocked himself with his fast recovery from a season-ending Achilles/heel injury.

When LaRon Landry returned to Florham Park this week for the Jets' mandatory mini-camp, the veteran safety said he received some good-natured ribbing from his teammates.

Landry, who signed with the Jets in March, was at the team facility for the first few weeks of the offseason program. But he said he left before organized team activities started last month, opting to return to Arizona for stem-cell and platelet-rich plasma treatments on the injured Achilles/heel that ended his 2011 season.

"They gave me a hard time for not being here, like, 'Who is the new guy? Who is this guy?' " Landry said. "It’s all fun and games, but when it comes down to it, all those guys welcomed me with open arms."

Landry is not able to participate in this week's mini-camp, but he worked with trainers and ran on the side during practice and said he is able to cut. Coach Rex Ryan admitted the team worried a little bit about Landry rehabbing independently, but he said Landry is "way ahead" of where the trainers thought he would be.

Will Landry be ready for the start of training camp? When asked, he said he's progressing well and hasn't taken any steps back, though he didn't give a definitive yes or no. He added that his Achilles is fully healed and the "bone issue" is what's lingering.

"Things are looking real well. I shocked myself, too," Landry said. "So I’m looking forward to it. I can’t wait to get back out there and be with the team."

Landry said he had the initial "AmnioMatrix" stem-cell treatment in February, but did not need the second and third rounds. He returned to Arizona for a follow-up visit and also to receive the PRP therapy.

"That was my choice and decision to go back so they could finish, complete whatever I had to do rehab-wise and strength and conditioning," Landry said. "I felt real comfortable going back and doing so, and I had no doubt that I would come back and I’d be ready, I’d be ahead of the game."

Landry believes he, Yeremiah Bell and Eric Smith can be a "great tandem" at the safety position. His brother, Dawan Landry, was coached by Rex Ryan in Baltimore and told LaRon, "As soon as you visit, just sign."

Now Landry is getting caught up with the complicated Jets playbook and learning the verbiage. He had the playbook with him in Arizona and said he has "no doubt" he'll be ready physically and mentally.

"I play with passion, just like the other guys, so I'm looking forward to being an addition," Landry said. "They've already got it, I'm just trying to add."

Jets' Mark Sanchez thinks Tim Tebow is 'great fit'; wants his wide receivers on the field

Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 3:46 PM Updated: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 3:50 PM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

11173188-large.jpg

Ed Murray/The Star-LedgerMark Sanchez thinks the offense can still progress without his main targets on the field.

Today was Mark Sanchez's first public practice alongside Tim Tebow, a procession that went on without much interruption or one-sided cheering from the fans sitting along the sideline.

Before the workout, Rex Ryan promised that Sanchez would take all the reps with the first string except in Wildcat situations. Tebow ended up taking two regular first string reps at the end of practice, anyway.

Sanchez, as he's done all season, continued to have only positive things to say about the new addition.

"Our team does a good job of pushing each other and Tim only adds to that," he said.

"We're all learning from each other, he's got a great attitude, he's always smiling, he's always excited and he works out very hard. He's just a great fit for the team. But there's other guys around the room and other coaches that you really want to look at, too.

When asked if he could learn anything from Tebow, Sanchez said: "We're all pushing each other and teaching each other along the way."

With Stephen Hill and Santonio Holmes nursing hamstring injuries alongside a slew of other wideouts on the Jets roster who scaled back reps this week, Sanchez has yet to see the potential for this year's offense.

"We gotta get them on the field," he said. "I mean, on paper it looks great, we just have to push each other to get healthy, stay healthy and take care of our bodies. We really need those guys out on the field."

With a new offense being installed, creating the need for synergy among the wideouts and quarterbacks, Sanchez said an argument could be made that it hurts to have so many of his primary targets sidelined.

"On one hand, sure it might be," he said. "On the other hand, it's one of those things where we're not playing a game next week. Those guys have plenty of time to recover, hopefully find out how they were injured or whatever it was and improve on that.

"It's an explosive group but we'd love to see them on the field."

As for the installation progress itself, Sanchez said the offense is getting by, but could still use more time.

"We're moving along at a good pace, we're functioning. Is it exactly where we want it? No," he said. "It's a good thing we don't have to play a game right this second and that's what these practices are for. But we're really moving along at a good pace."

Rex Ryan says Tim Tebow will only work with Jets starters during wildcat plays

Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 11:28 AM Updated: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 11:31 AM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

11171802-large.jpg

Rex Ryan said that Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow are co-existing well heading into the team's first public practice with both quarterbacks on the roster.

He insisted, as he has since the outset, that Tebow will be No. 2 on the depth chart and that fans wouldn't see him rotating in with the starters.

"We'll see, I would think there may be times when he does that, but right now he'll be with the two's," Ryan said.

A team spokesman clarified that those 'times' Ryan was referring to are specific to special Wildcat-type formations. And for now, the team is still in the process of installing their base offense. Though Ryan said that the Jets have run a few direct snap plays for Tebow, there is still a heavy focus on the regular offense.

"We're primarily focusing now on getting the base offense in," Ryan said. "Some of the specialty plays you would have in the Wildcat, we really haven't focused on it yet."

Ryan also took the opportunity to reiterate his confidence in the Tebow trade.

"We were the only people that ever had a problem with it, it seems like. We look at it as we're adding a good football player, which we did. Is he behind Sanchez on the depth chart? Yes.

"He brings so much more to the table, obviously we talked about the Wildcat deal, we talked about the personal protector, he's replacing a guy that I love in Brad Smith and everybody knows that and we were very effective running the Wildcat and he's basically replacing Brad in that role. He's also your No. 2 quarterback and personal protector as is Brad Smith."

He added: "I think with us, we're going to be ourselves and Tim is a very popular player obviously, a popular person and I think that's a good thing. Everyone wants to focus on the negative. I look at it as he's a good football player and a heckuva person. I don't know where that's a problem for any team and especially for us. We like the fact that he's on our team."

After seeing LaRon Landry yesterday, Ryan said he was pleased at how ahead of schedule the safety was in his rehab.

"He's way ahead of where our trainers thought he would be," Ryan said. "He thought it was best that he work out with people familiar with him and things, and we kind of worried about that a little bit but it's a real positive, he's come back and he's done a lot of work there so that was some good news.

"I saw him running in the back of the end zone and that was encouraging, we just have to be smart these next couple days so that he doesn't overdo things. He's on the right track and I feel good about it."

Injury report:

Will not practice: TE Brian Lithicum (quad), WR Pat Turner (hamstring), WR Jordan White (broken foot), DT Marcus Dixon (calf) and S Landry (Achilles/heel).

Limited: TE Jeff Cumberland (recovery from Achilles injury), Brandon Moore (hip), WR DaMarcus Ganaway (hamstring), G Matt Slauson (shoulder), OLB Bryan Thomas (Achilles, labrum tear) -- will do passing drills only, WR Stephen Hill (hamstring) -- individual drills only, RB Bilal Powell (hamstring), WR Santonio Holmes (hamstring), DE Quinton Coples (low back).

Monitored: WR Royce Pollard (hamstring), WR Jeremy Kerley (hamstring), WR Chaz Schilens (hamstring), K Nick Folk (hamstring).

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Jets clarify remarks on Tebow's role

By Rich Cimini

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Jets don't want a quarterback controversy. It's a sensitive subject. Consider what happened Wednesday.

Rex Ryan, responding to a question on whether Tim Tebow would get first-team reps in training camp and the preseason, said he could see that happening.

"We'll see," the coach said. "I would think there may be a time when he does that, but right now he'll be with the twos."

That's not exactly a bombshell statement -- after all, every No. 2 QB takes some first-team reps in the preseason -- but the Jets made an immediate attempt to prevent it from mushrooming into a headline.

Moments after Ryan's news conference, a team spokesman returned to the press room to clarify Ryan's remarks. What Ryan meant, the spokesman said, was that Tebow would take first-team reps when the Jets run their Wildcat package, not in the conventional offense.

The Jets' level of paranoia is somewhat hysterical, but they're hellbent on keeping Mark Sanchez-Tebow from blowing out of control. You could say it's a matter of semantics. If Tebow is on the field, whether it's Wildcat or base offense, he'll be behind center, not Sanchez.

THIS AND THAT: WR Santonio Holmes (hamstring), who sat out Tuesday, will be monitored and may try to practice ... WR Stephen Hill (hamstring) is out. Ditto, WR Patrick Turner (hamstring) ... Rookie DE Quinton Coples (lower back) will be evaluated ... Ryan raved about the defense, saying it has a chance to be a good as the 2009 unit that led the team. "We have no excuses whatsoever on defense," he said ... S LaRon Landry (Achilles' tendon) is ahead of schedule in his rehab, according to Ryan, even though he skipped the voluntary program. Landry isn't practicing.

June 13, 2012 5:13 PM

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez ready to put 'negative feelings' from last season behind him

BY Manish Mehta

Six months after Mark Sanchez completed a bizarre season filled with maddening inconsistencies, the Jets quarterback is ready to finally establish himself as the undisputed leader of a wayward offense. Tebowmania notwithstanding, Rex Ryan has made it clear that Sanchez is the unquestioned starter. Although Ryan & Co. may be oversensitive to rumblings of a burgeoning quarterback controversy, Sanchez will undoubtedly be the starter when the regular season begins.

Ryan has praised Sanchez’s ability to grasp new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano’s system and improve his lower-body strength this off-season, talking points to remind everyone within earshot that No. 6 is No. 1 on the depth chart.

“It’s important to me not just to impress Rex, but really compete… against myself, against the outcome of last season, against any kind of negative feelings we had moving on from last year,” Sanchez said after the second day of minicamp on Wednesday. “(So I can) understand why we didn’t play as well as we did -- how can we fix it? -- and now is my chance to do it. I just wanted to make sure I was prepared and ready to handle the season.”

Although Ryan admitted that Tim Tebow “brings so much more to the table” than just being a quarterback, the coach left little doubt that Sanchez will be the engine of Sparano’s offense. So, Ryan declared that Tebow will be exclusively playing with the second team in minicamp (he actually played two snaps with the starters on Wednesday in red-zone team drills), while Sanchez will be practicing with the starters.

After Ryan told reporters on Wednesday morning that “there may be times” in the future when Tebow plays with the starters, a team spokesperson clarified those remarks to mean that Tebow will only get first-team reps in “Wildcat” packages.

Ryan’s message is clear: Sanchez and Tebow have defined roles. Tebow, who has never wanted to play anything but quarterback in his life, has remained the good soldier since he arrived.

“Obviously when we go out there, we compete hard in everything we do,” Tebow said of his interaction with Sanchez. “But we have a great relationship. I think it really helps when you’re rooting for the other guy as well. I’m rooting for him. I believe he’s rooting for me.”

Sanchez’s erratic play last season prompted several teammates and members of the organization to question his ability to lead and be the franchise quarterback. Sanchez’s career-high 26 touchdown passes were clouded by his career-high 26 turnovers, including nine in the final three games.

He threw 21 touchdown passes inside the 20 – fifth-best in the league – to help the Jets lead the NFL in red-zone touchdown efficiency (65.5 percent).

“Were there highlights from last season? Absolutely,” Sanchez said. “There’s a whole boat load of them and a whole reel of them. But we just didn’t have enough down the stretch.”

“I just know that I turned the ball over too much,” he added. “As many good things as you do, turning the ball over doesn’t negate them, but it really does hurt. The most important thing moving forward is taking care of the football and making good decisions. If we cut down on a couple of those interceptions, we might be in the playoffs. That’s the way I look at it.”

Sanchez said that the offense is “moving along at a good pace” as everyone learns Sparano’s offense. Although there’s plenty of learning ahead, he admitted that he’s eager for training camp next month.

“I’m been as anxious (as) the last few years, but I have a little better understanding each year of what’s coming,” Sanchez said. “It’s going to be a good year for us. We’re ready to get started.”

NOTES:

In 11-on-11 team drills, Sanchez went 7 for 9 and was "sacked" twice in 16 snaps. Tebow went 3 for 5 and was "sacked" once in 10 snaps.

Tebow said that he weighed in at 249 pounds on Wednesday. He played last season at 240-242 pounds. He'd like to play at 250 this season. By comparison, inside linebacker David Harris, who is about the same height, is 250 pounds.

WRs Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill, who are both dealing with tweaked hamstrings, participated in individual drills, but didn't participate in team drills.

Darrelle Revis, who remained non-committal about showing up to the first day of training camp next month, reiterated that he wanted to finish his career with the Jets.

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Tim Tebow reacts to Bruschi's request he 'disappear'

By Marc Sessler

June 13, 2012 at 05:11 p.m.

According to Tedy Bruschi, we're long overdue for a healthy stretch of radio silence from Tim Tebow.

The former New England Patriots linebacker, now paid to discuss football on ESPN, believes Tebow is hurting the New York Jets through regular sessions with the media. "You need to disappear, okay, Tim Tebow? You're not the starting quarterback," Bruschi spouted off during an episode of ESPN's "NFL 32" last week.

"To be honest, I just do what I'm told -- and this day (is) to talk to you (reporters), so I'm gonna talk to you," Tebow told Nate Davis of USA Today. "And to be honest, I just go about it however the Jets set it up -- the rules that they want us to (follow), who they want us to talk to, who they don't want us to talk to. And so I don't get paid enough to make all those decisions. I just do what I'm told and try to do it as best as I can."

Tebow said he respects Bruschi's opinion, but took a moment to defend himself: "... I don't know that I'm out there (outside the locker room) talking. I'm here talking to y'all because that's what they want," he said. "Like I said, I just do what I'm told and try to make the most of it. So that's something you'd figure that he would understand though."

As Dan Hanzus indicated last week, Bruschi's critique of Tebow is half-baked. Sanchez's backup is wheeled out before reporters on a carefully orchestrated schedule. Along with throwing passes, running the Wildcat and operating as punt protector, this is part of Tebow's job in today's NFL. Asking him to break from that responsibility or take a sudden oath of silence borders on absurd.

Tebow fields his share of unfair, off-the-mark criticism -- so much of it ponderous. We're surprised the most recent example of this comes from a former player, one more familiar than most with what a quarterback is forced to deal with from an always-churning media machine.

Sanchez impresses, Tebow appears with Jets' first team

3:14 PM, June 13, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets opened their gates to the fans on Wednesday on the second day of their mini-camp.

It was the first practice open to the public since the team traded for quarterback Tim Tebow in March. Mark Sanchez elevated his game in front of the crowd. He had a strong performance, going 8-for-10 with one simulated sack during team drills. Tebow was not as impressive, going 3-for-5 with a sack.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said that Tebow would not take any snaps with the starting offense this week, but Tebow had two with the first-teamers when the team was practicing red zone offense. Neither snap was a wildcat snap. He took one from shotgun and one from under center and threw passes on both plays.

Sanchez threw plenty of pretty passes and continues to show a good command of new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano's offense. It looked like he only made a few mental errors, judging from Sparano's reactions.

In non quarterback news:

The Jets continue to toy with a four-man front. They lined up in a true 4-3 Wednesday with Calvin Pace and Bart Scott as the outside linebackers. The Jets may be doing this because they don't have a fully healthy Bryan Thomas, who would be the starting outside linebacker in the 3-4. It seems like the team is going to incorporate more four-man looks than last year.

Rookies Demario Davis and Josh Bush both took reps with the first-team defense in its sub package. Royce Adams also saw some time in a sub-package look.

Wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill continue to nurse hamstring injuries. Both players worked off to the side during the team portion of practice.

Jets' Landry 'way ahead' after rehabbing foot in Arizona

4:34 PM, June 13, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets safety LaRon Landry said Wednesday that he chose to work out and rehab his injured left foot in Arizona, where he had some medical procedures done earlier this year, instead of staying in New Jersey to participate in voluntary practices with the team.

Landry, signed in March by the Jets, said he had stem-cell and platelet-rich plasma treatments in February on the Achilles tendon/heel issue that ended his 2011 season with the Redskins. Jets coach Rex Ryan said Landry is "way ahead" of where the team's trainers thought he would be at this point. Landry said he hopes to be ready for training camp next month.

"As of right now, I’m progressing," Landry said. "Things are looking real well, I shocked myself too, so I’m looking forward to it. I can’t wait to get back out there and be with the team."

Landry said he participated in the first few weeks of the Jets' offseason program and then went to Arizona.

"That was my choice and decision to go back so they could finish, complete whatever I had to do rehab wise and strength and conditioning, and I felt real comfortable going back and doing so and I had no doubt that I would come back and I’d be ready," Landry said. "I’d be ahead of the game."

When he reported to mini-camp this week, his teammates kidded him about the time he missed.

"They give me a hard time for not being here, like, 'Who is the new guy? Who is this guy?'" Landry said. "It’s all fun and games, but when it comes down to it, all those guys welcomed me with open arms."

Landry was not able to participate in any drills, but worked with trainers on the side. He did agility drills and some running.

Though Landry could not say if he'll be ready to go in Cortland for the July 26 start of training camp, he sounded optimistic. He said he underwent an initial "Amniomatrix" stem-cell treatment in February and was scheduled to have three rounds of treatment. But since he responded so well to the first he did not need the next two.

"I shocked myself," Landry said. "Unfortunately I’m not there yet but I’m not taking any steps back, everything is progressing right now. I feel great about it."

Chris Nimbley@Cnimbley

Young Receivers Look Up to Santonio Holmes

Florham Park, N.J.- Ask you’re average football fan what they think of Santonio Holmes and you’re likely to hear a long list of negative adjectives. They might say he’s selfish, a diva and or a headache, but ask his fellow receivers on his team and you’ll get an entirely different answer, one that might lead you to believe we’re talking about two completely different people and in many ways we are.

No one condones Holmes’ actions at the end of last season and ideally, yes it would be great if he would just play nice with the media, but that’s not who he is. If that bothers you, he really doesn’t care and neither do his teammates. The Santonio Holmes that the media meets with once a week and the fans get to read about is not the same guy his teammates see, or the people involved in any of his charities get to see.

If you ever get a chance to come out to an open practice you’ll also see a guy in a number 10 jersey whose behavior you don’t recognize. As the receivers run their drills, Holmes goes first then turns around and makes his way back to help coach the younger receivers through the drill. He’s an extra coach out there on the field and according to some of his teammates he’s just as big a coach to them off the field.

“Yeah he is an (extra) coach. He’s a seven, eight year vet and that’s a guy that we look to for a lot of direction amongst us young guys and he’s our leader out there.” Kerley said, “He’s a great dude, he’s a great guy to look up to and we lean on him for a lot of things.”

Last week wasn’t the first time he’s shown this leadership in practice, last year he would do the same thing. He’d take each of the young receivers off to the side, one-on-one and give them pointers. He’d give them tips on when to come out of a certain break or how to use their body as a shield between the defender or answer any other questions they had for him. Yesterday Holmes spent the day sprinting and doing conditioning drills, today he got involved in some team drills and as he can participate more in the immediate future he can continue to teach and lead the young receivers that look up to him.

Holmes was wrong for how he handled himself last season, but that season is over and done with. It’s time to move on. Last week there was no helmet-smashing or temper-tantrum’s being thrown, just a little frustration with himself for not being able to finish practice, a granting of his request to sit out by his coaches and a whole lot of coaching up his teammates that somehow went unnoticed by most.

“It’s easy to go unnoticed because people aren’t here everyday, seeing what goes on and ‘Tone has been in the biggest moments of the sport, Super Bowl, being a Super Bowl MVP and done a lot of great things.” Patrick Turner said, “You know, to have that on your side and someone who’s willing to open up and be a great teammate, it shouldn’t go unnoticed and I feel everybody really looks up to him. He’s always there whether you have a question or if you just want to ask him a question about anything, on the field or off the field and it’s good to have. He’s a good guy.”

After the way last season unfolded it was real easy to forget about the leadership Holmes showed last training camp and how much his teammates enjoyed his presence, but after seeing it again last week it was impossible to forget.

Yes, big thanks to Dennis for going today and tomorrow. The rain held off, I thought they were going to move today inside. Really glad it worked out.

Nice write-up, albeit all this is somewhat meaningless considering the guys are all in shorts and shirts (no pads) and its still only mid-June. You'll notice its hard to find someone that has a bad day without pads and hitting and the "whole 9 yards" type of thing. Either way, good to hear that we continue to work young guys into the starting lineup and are toying with different formations and personnel packages, etc.

Nice write-up, albeit all this is somewhat meaningless considering the guys are all in shorts and shirts (no pads) and its still only mid-June. You'll notice its hard to find someone that has a bad day without pads and hitting and the "whole 9 yards" type of thing. Either way, good to hear that we continue to work young guys into the starting lineup and are toying with different formations and personnel packages, etc.

I talked to Dennis before he wrote this up, the fact that they are in shorts is a great point. And it did factor in to his thoughts. Obviously if they are not tackling you don't grade them on how they tackle. :)

Hill not dropping any passes is a good start though!

Archived