flgreen

<p>

Day 3: Minicamp observations

June, 14, 2012

Jun 14

2:56

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Thoughts on the final day of the Jets' mandatory minicamp:

1. QB Mark Sanchez probably wishes he ended on a better note. In 12 reps with the first team, he completed only one of 10 passes. There were a number of reasons for the poor showing. There was a dropped pass (TE Dedrick Epps), a miscommunication with TE Jeff Cumberland and a few terrific defensive plays. In 7-on-7 drills, Sanchez was much sharper (4-for-5), his best throw a 20-yard TD strike to TE Dustin Keller. This was an uneven minicamp for the offense, but the players afterward said they were pleased with the overall progress in learning Tony Sparano's system.

2. Unlike Wednesday, backup QB Tim Tebow didn't get any reps with the starters. Overall, he took eight reps with the backups, going 3-for-4, with a sack. His best throw was a nice completion to RB Joe McKnight on a circle route. In a 7-on-7 drill, he uncorked a couple of wobbly passes into the end zone, but they somehow found their targets -- a reception to a WR DaMarcus Ganaway and a drop by Kerley. Overall, Tebow performed as expected in minicamp -- a little rough around the edges when throwing from the pocket, but a definite weapon when he has the ball in his hands.

3. I think DEs Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples -- 6-foot-4 and 6-foot-6, respectively -- are going to get their hands on a bunch of passes this season. They bring basketball size to the defensive line, and I think that's going to cause problems for quarterbacks. Ask Sanchez; he had a bal batted down by Wilkerson.

4. The Nick Folk-Josh Brown kicking battle is going to be a neck-and-neck horse race. This is a legitimate competition that likely won't be decided until late August. Practice ended with Folk making a 53-yard FG and Brown matching him. It'll be a fun competition to monitor, but something tells me it's not going to garner as much attention at Sanchez-Tebow.

5. This was an up-and-down day for Cumberland, who is a player to watch. He dropped a couple of early passes, but came back with a terrific catch on a throw by ... Right now, he's their No. 2 tight end, but he's not an accomplished blocker. Keller isn't a road grader, either. It's tough to operate a ground-and-pound running game when you don't have a masher at tight end. Don't be surprised if the Jets acquire a blocking tight end between now and training camp.

6. One thing you notice about Sparano's offense: There aren't a lot of shifts and motions, a la Brian Schottenheimer. That should make it easier to learn. At the same time, it could make the offense more predictable. Make no mistake, the Jets aren't going to trick it up, they're going to try to punch you in the mouth.

6. One thing you notice about Sparano's offense: There aren't a lot of shifts and motions, a la Brian Schottenheimer. That should make it easier to learn. At the same time, it could make the offense more predictable. Make no mistake, the Jets aren't going to trick it up, they're going to try to punch you in the mouth.

LOL. I think Cimini is the only person in the world other than Schitty who thought all of that nonsense actually made the Jets O any less predictable.

LOL. I think Cimini is the only person in the world other than Schitty who thought all of that nonsense actually made the Jets O any less predictable.

I'm not so sure. Clearly the OL didn't have a clue what was going on

ets' Rex Ryan says new black practice jerseys are reward for offense, defense

Published: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 3:34 PM Updated: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 3:36 PM

8487074.png By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

11177901-large.jpgRobert Sciarrino/The Star-LedgerKyle Wilson sporting the black practice jersey.

David Harris and Antonio Cromartie, like the rest of their defensive teammates, went to their lockers this morning without the knowledge that new black practice jerseys would be there waiting.

And even afterward, they weren't exactly sure why they wore them.

"I don't know why we had black jerseys on," Harris said. "I guess you'll have to ask Rex, but it looked good on the defense, and hopefully we can make it a tradition to wear them for practice, I think it's a good idea.

"They were just in our lockers when we showed up today...never wore them before. We saw a lot of the offensive guys faces, like (D'Brickashaw Ferguson), my locker mate, he was jealous."

Said Cromartie: "Well, you know, hopefully we can get some more special treatment. The offense always gets special treatment."

Rex Ryan, though, provided the real answer.

"I stole this from (offensive coordinator) Tony (Sparano), he did this in Miami, he put a team in different color jerseys," Ryan said. "Whatever the emphasis is in training camp, let's say we have a red zone emphasis...the group that I think did the best in that specific drill, I'll put that group in the black jerseys for the next practice.

"It's just a fun thing maybe it will pick up the practice and stuff like that, really it makes them think of what the emphasis are so that's why we broke out the jerseys today."

Ryan said he's a defensive guy so the defense got to wear the jerseys first. He didn't think the team needed a boost in particular, and that it will only last through training camp.

"The thing about football players and probably any sport, guys love competition and it's just a way, when they're on the field and that offense is in the black jerseys, oh they got the better of the defense," Ryan said. "It just adds to anything. Back in the day you could give them a t-shirt or a hat, but that would probably count against your salary cap now."

Rex Ryan advises Kenrick Ellis before player's 45-day jail term begins

Published: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 4:14 PM Updated: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 4:16 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

11178437-large.jpgEd Murray/The Star-LedgerKenrick Ellis reports to a jail in Virginia tomorrow to serve time on an assault and battery plea.

Jets defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis is scheduled to report to a jail in Virginia tomorrow to serve a 45-day sentence. Before he left Florham Park at the end of the three-day mini-camp, coach Rex Ryan said a few words to his player.

"I have conversations with a lot of our players, but obviously that’s a different situation. But I definitely talked to him," Ryan said.

"There are people that have gone through similar things, and I basically said, 'Lean on each other.' That’s pretty much it."

Ellis entered an "Alford" plea last month for misdemeanor assault and battery, stemming from a 2010 incident at Hampton University in Virginia. His sentence is due to end three days after the Jets' July 26 reporting date for training camp in Cortland, N.Y.

"He’s a strong man," Ryan said, when asked about Ellis' ability to mentally handle his jail time. "And I know one thing, he's looking forward to this season. He put so much into this offseason."

Ellis has been reluctant to discuss his jail sentence. After the sentence was handed down, he said he was glad the case had been resolved, but he didn't want to talk about it or think about it. Today, he was asked if he is concerned about being able to maintain his conditioning while in jail.

"Conditioning is a major part of playing in the NFL. I’ll just try to get in better shape," Ellis said, adding, "I’m just going to do my best to show up here and contribute to the team."

Ryan praised Ellis, a third-round draft pick in 2011, as one of the players who has improved the most this offseason, along with Vlad Ducasse. He has shed weight, targeting 330 pounds in order to be able to on the field more, and greatly improved his conditioning.

Ryan said Ellis at one time could not do a pull-up, and now he is able to 10 sets of 10 pull-ups with a 35-pound weight tied on him. The Jets are counting on him being a valuable contributor to the defensive line rotation.

"Now you are starting to see what I believe was there," Ryan said.

Rex Ryan vows Jets will have a 'close' football team this year regardless of record

Published: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 4:17 PM Updated: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 4:17 PM

Follow

Email Print

8078867-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerRex Ryan vows the Jets will be a closer-knit football team this year.

With the season ending in turmoil last year, a flurry of damaging in-house comments that revealed a significant rift in the locker room, repairing chemistry was one of the paramount issues heading into this season.

Today, as mini-camp closed up, Rex Ryan thinks he has everything under control and was more open about what had happened last year after the final loss to Miami.

"It was about as low as we've had coming out of the Miami game and when you guys were like 'what was the deal?' I never had an answer for you," Ryan said. "So I think that was a low point, obviously.

"I really think things have been blown out. I don't think it was as bad as some people say it was, but I think there were certainly some issues we had to get corrected. Way I look at it, we had a fresh start when they came back on April 16, and we said alright it's behind us. Now we're focused on right now."

Ryan said that he never had to look at chemistry issues before because the team made the AFC Championship during his first two seasons. And despite key personnel changes during each offseason, he never felt like the team had to reset itself, instead relying on whatever personalities remained from the year before.

"I think part of the mistake I made, I think we had things going pretty well. I felt great about the team's chemistry and all that even though we lost a lot of players I still felt good about it. But you have to go back to square one," Ryan said. "Every year you have to go back to square one.

"Each team is different, their personalities are different and all that stuff. And I can tell you, the thing I learned from it is, I'm on top of it and our coaches are on top of it. Our players understand. I mean, it's embarrassing to them to think something comes out negatively about this football team when they know this is a close group.

"That's something we're going to get back to. I don't know how many wins we're going to have, but I know we'll have that corrected. We will have a close football team. We're not going to beat ourselves with all the infighting and all that other stuff.

That's a thing of the past."

Ryan said no one in the organization has contacted Braylon Edwards.

"Everybody is a possibility because of the way we look at players, we're always trying to upgrade our football team and I know Mike Tannenbaum is as thorough as anybody and if we know somebody can help our team, there's a lot of things involved in it.

"We can't just go out and get Michael Jordan, somebody is going to have to pay for it."

Ryan said Ellis at one time could not do a pull-up, and now he is able to 10 sets of 10 pull-ups with a 35-pound weight tied on him. The Jets are counting on him being a valuable contributor to the defensive line rotation.

"Now you are starting to see what I believe was there," Ryan said.

CHAMPIONSHIP! (of pull-ups)

‘D’ Dons Black Jerseys for Final Minicamp Practice

Posted by Randy Lange on June 14, 2012 – 4:21 pm

The black jerseys came out for the final practice of the Jets’ full-squad minicamp.

Head coach Rex Ryan surprised his defensive players by replacing their green jerseys with black tops and white numbers to go against the usual white jerseys and green numbers on the offensive side of the ball for today’s single practice before most players headed for home and their last break before the start of training camp.

“Whatever the emphasis is at training camp, let’s say it’s red zone or ball security or trying to force turnovers, the group I feel did the best in that specific drill, I’ll put that group in black jerseys the next practice,” Ryan told reporters at his minicamp wrap-up news conference this afternoon. “I put it on the defense today because I’m a defensive guy. But it’s just a little fun thing, pick up the practice, stuff like that. It makes them think what the emphases are, and that’s why we broke out the jerseys.”

Black jerseys certainly have a Darth Vader-ish college feel. The last time we remember the Jets going to them was in 2004, when then-DC Donnie Henderson awarded black jerseys with gold numbers to individual defenders, an idea that Nebraska was popularizing at the time. Florida State, among other schools, have sight-adjusted to black jerseys for certain games.

Rex said he got this thought for an entire unit to get a new wardrobe at training camp from OC Tony Sparano.

“Rex just did it to throw it out there,” said linebacker Bryan Thomas. “Hopefully by the end of training camp everybody will have black jerseys on.”

The defense definitely rose to the occasion a few times at today’s 1½-hour session with 1,550 fans in attendance. On the first play of 11-on-11′s, Mark Sanchez play-faked, dropped back and threw — right into the looming figure of DE Muhammad Wilkerson, who swatted the pass backward, then wagged his finger at Sanchez, as if to say, “Not in our house.”

On another play, Sanchez tried to fire a ball over the middle for TE Jeff Cumberland, who hadn’t turned around. It hit David Harris in the numbers and the LB couldn’t hold on. Still, another notch in the black belts.

But the guys in the white jerseys did have some successes nevertheless. Sanchez fired to TE Dustin Keller on the post for the “TD,” after which Keller offered one of his patented crossbar dunks. Tim Tebow hit Joe McKnight on a crossing route for an in-stride completion that had long-gainer written all over it.

When it was over, Ryan sent his players away with a message about their conditioning over the next five weeks before the week that they gather their gear together and head north to Cortland, N.Y.

“I talked about trying to get in great shape because I want this team to own the fourth quarter.

That’s something we need to do,” he said. “You do that by making strides in the offseason with your conditioning. It’s really on them. This is like the old college deal about the ‘dead period.’ As a coach, you can’t contact your players. It’s on each other. We need to come back in shape. It used to be you could be a little heavy going into training camp and drop a few pounds. That’s not going to be the case now. You can have one padded practice and one walkthrough practice each day. There are not as many reps as there had been in the past. You have to do extra things in conditioning to get yourself ready.”

Tebow with the Ones?

Wednesday morning Ryan said Tebow might get some reps with the first offense in training camp but for now he was with the twos. Then in Wednesday’s midday practice, Tebow took a couple of reps with the ones. Ryan didn’t even wait to get asked about that this afternoon.

“Apparently I need to be at more offensive meetings. So I kind of missed that one,” Ryan said of Sparano’s call to work Tebow on that limited basis with the first group. “Tony just put him in there for a couple of shots.

“I just wanted you guys to know there’s no quarterback controversy. This is the way it’s going to be: Sanchez is the starting quarterback. Tim’s behind him.”

But every once in a while, the No. 2 QB will work with the ones, just in case.

Breaking Down the Team

The last official event on the field today, before the players signed autographs and then headed to the locker room, was to break down the team. That duty this time went to a special guest — Bobby Parente, who today worked his last day of a 38-year career with the team as its senior vice president of programming and media production before shifting to a consultant’s role.

It was a teary time for Bobby and for a few of the players who know him, and the moisture was repeated when the business staff gave him a standing ovation at the entrance to the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center as he left for the last time as a full-time employee. He has been a great friend and invaluable adviser to so many of us who call the Jets our team and our home away from home.

Shortly after he told the organization of his plans a few weeks ago, he offered some observations to me below about his career:

“I am the luckiest Jets fan in the world. I grew up a Jets fan, I went to my first game in 1964, and I worked for the team I love for 38 years. I started as a summer intern in 1974.

“My first job as an intern was to polish the Super Bowl trophy. I drove Weeb Ewbank to Shea Stadium in the morning, then I went to the Jets’ offices in the city, and on way home I picked Weeb up. What an education about football for an 18-year-old.

“I have made many great friends throughout football and sports. I look forward to helping the organization as a consultant going forward.”

Jets' secondary coach Dennis Thurman thinks LaRon Landry will be fine

Published: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 4:51 PM Updated: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 4:51 PM

Follow

Email Print

11173611-large.jpgEd Murray/The Star-LedgerLaRon Landry said he shocked himself with his fast recovery from a season-ending Achilles/heel injury.

Dennis Thurman made sure LaRon Landry had a copy of the Jets playbook over the spring and said that the safety is on schedule with learning a new defense.

"He had his playbook and we spent time together earlier when he was here," he said. "Like I said, the transition from one team to another, it's not about the coverage because they've played the coverage before, it's about the terminology.

"But it's also about us and how we do things just a little bit differently than most people so I don't expect him to have any problems, he hasn't shown he'll have any problems and our expectations are that he'll give us what he gave Washington only with an improvement in terms of his health and his ability to stay on the field."

He expects both Landry and Yeremiah Bell to play a strong and free-type safety since the Jets defense doesn't delineate between the two positions. Each safety must be a hybrid.

In the same vein, he expects to have an athletic platoon at safety -- something that the Jets have come under fire for this offseason -- with Landry, Bell and Eric Smith leading the way.

"I feel like we answered that question with the two guys we brought in, they're athletic, talented, they're physical and they played in this league, had experience and when you had that, it remains to be seen, but I feel more confident and more comfortable with this group than I did last year at this time."

Thurman thinks that when the pads come on during training camp, seventh-rounder Antonio Allen and undrafted free agent D'Anton Lynn, the son of running backs coach Anthony Lynn, will separate themselves from the pack.

Some other quick hits from Thurman:

+ In Jim Leonhard's absence, Eric Smith has been doing a great job assuming the "quarterback" role in the secondary, helping everyone get caught up.

+ Ellis Lankster is the No. 4 cornerback for now, he said, though he thinks this is the most athletic group of corners the team has had.

+ Rookie Josh Bush is the No. 4 safety, assuming that Landry is healthy and ready to go.

+ Thurman wants Kyle Wilson to not settle for the Nickel spot and push Antonio Cromartie and Darrelle Revis more this season.

"We didn't draft him in the first round for him just to come here and be a Nickel," Thurman said. "We expect Kyle to start pushing and elevating his game to start thinking and acting like a starter on the New York Jets because you never know."

Rex: Jets team will be 'close' in 2012

4:32 PM, June 14, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets finished mini-camp Thursday, saying goodbye until training camp opens at the end of next month.

Five months after the 2011 season ended with chemistry problems and Jets coach Rex Ryan admitting he lost the pulse of the team, Ryan said those problems are now behind them.

"I don't know how many wins we'll have but I know we'll have that corrected," Ryan said. "We will have a close football team. We're not going to beat ourselves with some of the in-fighting or all that other stuff. That's a thing of the past."

The Jets have focused on putting the 2011 season in the past and starting over this year during the offseason program in the last two months.

"It was about as low as we had coming out of the Miami game when you guys were like, 'what was the deal?' I never had an answer for you," Ryan said. "I think that was a low point, obviously. I really think things have been blown out (of proportion). I don't think it was as bad as some people say it was, but there were certainly some issues that we had to get corrected."

Ryan hinted that the success the Jets had in his first two years, which both ended with losses in the AFC Championship game, might have made him lax in some areas last year. He said he learned a lesson that each year you have to go back to square one.

"A lot of times problems don't happen when you're rolling," Ryan said. "When you're playing well, those problems really don't happen. Here I was surprised that it happened, even when we were struggling and fighting. We were 8-5 at one point and then we drop our last three. I'm sure that contributed as well."

The Jets finished up their spring practice schedule with a short practice. Starting quarterback Mark Sanchez had a rough day, going 1-for-10 with a sack in team drills. Backup quarterback Tim Tebow went 3-for-4.

Sanchez looked better during 7-on-7 drills, connecting with tight end Dustin Keller on a pretty post pattern for a touchdown.

A day after saying Tebow would not get any snaps with the starting offense and then watching him get two snaps, Ryan explained that offensive coordinator Tony Sparano put Tebow in without Ryan's knowledge.

"I just think that Tony put him in there for a couple of shots in there," Ryan said. "It was funny because it caught me by surprise and it also caught [defensive coordinator Mike] Pettine by surprise because the first call was a two-man. You're never going to call two-man against Tim Tebow."

Wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill both sat out team drills again with hamstring injuries.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/rex_jets_team_will_be_close_in_JB7XkYSQduUQbuwIPXOzPO#ixzz1xnuHRVk8

Jets use black jerseys to reward best unit in practices

4:46 PM, June 14, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets defense took the field with a new look Thursday.

The unit wore black jerseys instead of their usual green. Jets coach Rex Ryan explained he is going to give out the jerseys as a reward for good practices to either the offense or the defense in training camp each day.

"I stole this from Tony [sparano]," Ryan said. "He did this in Miami. He put a team in a different color jersey. Whatever the emphasis is, like in training camp let's say we have a red zone emphasis or we have a ball security (emphasis) or trying to create turnovers in a scrimmage or something like that, the group that I think did the best in that specific drill I'll put that unit in the black jerseys the next practice. I put it on the defense today because I'm a defensive guy. That's why they were out there with them today."

Ryan said he thinks players will be driven to concentrate on what the emphasis is in that practice to beat out the other unit.

"I think it's just something that's a little different," Ryan said. "One thing about football players and probably any sport, guys love competition."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_use_black_shirts_to_reward_jK5LcxkJEKyGvAA23D7vbO#ixzz1xnxFIoYP

Archived