Nutrition for a healthier teh mafia goodness

Integrity28

So, I bought the book "Eat to Live" on Wednesday night last week, after CTM recommended it. I read the first 150 pages on my flight to the midwest, continued to read the book feverishly throughout the weekend, and finished it Monday on my flight home.

About 2 weeks ago, I was already eating similar to the way Dr. Furman recommends as a result of reading the DASH Diet for Hypertension and adopting some its recommendations into what I'd already been doing on Weight Watchers. However, when I got Eat to Live I immediately dropped the dairy and started eating huge amounts of fruits and veggies.

After the suggestions you guys gave me, in particular CTM, Vic and JC, and reading this book. I've completely dropped WW and in the process lost about 8 pounds in the past 7-10 days. I'm stuffing my face with nutrient-dense foods, not hungry, full of energy, my stomach problems have more or less subsided, and my girl even says my teeth look whiter and my skin clearer. She's now reading the book and preparing to make the same lifestyle changes I am.

I just wanted to start an actual thread to continue the discussion with you guys, without derailing games, and to thank you all for the insight and suggestions.

CTM in particular, that book, I cannot believe how little I really knew about nutrition... and how empowering the information in the book is.

Awesome stuff man, my health has completely changed. For instance, I used to eat tums like they were candy going through a big bottle in a single week, but the only times I ever have them now are when I'm drinking beer. Just completely off them.

The funny thing too is that the healthy food does actually start to taste good. You're taste buds change very quickly. I make a kale salad with an almond base dressing that I look forward to eating just as much as I used to look forward to something like pizza. Around the holidays last year, I back slid and startied eating sh*tty for a few weeks. I had to laugh cause when I went back on the healthier foods, they all tasted like sh*t and I couldn't believe that I used to like them..lol

Like I said in the other thread, I think Fuhrman goes a little to far on the anti animal products stuff (I think dairy is generally bad, but meat good). But his core philosophy about nutritional density is 100% spot on as is the stuff he touches on with the hormones and antibiotics that are put in factory farm foods.

There's little doubt in my mind that if you eat near the way he recommends, that you'll preserve your health much longer then if you went back to SAD eating

So you eating vegan?

Not entirely.

I've cut out dairy except for maybe once or twice a week I have a yogurt for the cultures (and to appease my desire for dessert). I've been having 4-5 ounces of meat in one meal a day, and then pretty much shooting for an 80-20 balance.

Also, I ate wedding cake, cupcakes and lots of beer in the past few days for a wedding and a company party. So I've not totally transitioned, but basically every meal except the special occasions is a disciplined meal. The results are pretty amazing so far. 8 pounds in like 10 days.... and no starving or counting.

When she finishes the book, we may go 100% on his recommendations, but that'll be hard. We aren't the types of people he formulated that for, the aggressive plan he advocates is for 400 pound people in dire circumstances... we aren't that overweight. We just want to eat for nutrition and preventing health issues down the road. So I think the 80-20 or 90-10 balance will work for us, I know it will for me.

Next step is cutting out the binge drinking (for me) and beginning a training regiment. Probably going with P90X (minus their horrible version of yoga, which isn't really yoga).

So you eating vegan?

If you are make sure you supplement B12 and a few other things. I consider myself a nutrarian, but I eat fish (usually Salmon) and have been kicking around reintroducing red meat.. as long as it is free range

Not entirely.

I've cut out dairy except for maybe once or twice a week I have a yogurt for the cultures (and to appease my desire for dessert). I've been having 4-5 ounces of meat in one meal a day, and then pretty much shooting for an 80-20 balance.

Also, I ate wedding cake, cupcakes and lots of beer in the past few days for a wedding and a company party. So I've not totally transitioned, but basically every meal except the special occasions is a disciplined meal. The results are pretty amazing so far. 8 pounds in like 10 days.... and no starving or counting.

When she finishes the book, we may go 100% on his recommendations, but that'll be hard. We aren't the types of people he formulated that for, the aggressive plan he advocates is for 400 pound people in dire circumstances... we aren't that overweight. We just want to eat for nutrition and preventing health issues down the road. So I think the 80-20 or 90-10 balance will work for us, I know it will for me.

Next step is cutting out the binge drinking (for me) and beginning a training regiment. Probably going with P90X (minus their horrible version of yoga, which isn't really yoga).

Yep.. that's where I'm at too about 80/20 to 90/10..

Awesome stuff man, my health has completely changed. For instance, I used to eat tums like they were candy going through a big bottle in a single week, but the only times I ever have them now are when I'm drinking beer. Just completely off them.

The funny thing too is that the healthy food does actually start to taste good. You're taste buds change very quickly. I make a kale salad with an almond base dressing that I look forward to eating just as much as I used to look forward to something like pizza. Around the holidays last year, I back slid and startied eating sh*tty for a few weeks. I had to laugh cause when I went back on the healthier foods, they all tasted like sh*t and I couldn't believe that I used to like them..lol

Like I said in the other thread, I think Fuhrman goes a little to far on the anti animal products stuff (I think dairy is generally bad, but meat good). But his core philosophy about nutritional density is 100% spot on as is the stuff he touches on with the hormones and antibiotics that are put in factory farm foods.

There's little doubt in my mind that if you eat near the way he recommends, that you'll preserve your health much longer then if you went back to SAD eating

I think I agree with you and Vic on not wanting to go entirely vegan. However, I've opened myself up to more vegan options and alternatives for whole meals without any meat. As long as they are whole foods. I've already noticed vegans can eat a lot of fattening unhealthy sh*t.

I just felt compelled to express my gratitude to you guys. The book blew my ****ing mind to be honest, and my girl just turned to me and had a similar moment of epiphany within the first 30 pages. (I can't tell you how many of those moments I had while reading. Countless.)

If you are make sure you supplement B12 and a few other things. I consider myself a nutrarian, but I eat fish (usually Salmon) and have been kicking around reintroducing red meat.. as long as it is free range

Nutrarian, exactly. When I explain it to people, it's a "whole foods approach to nutrition".

Removes the stigma of "diet" and "vegetarian" or "vegan".

I could never cut out seafood, tbh.

I think I agree with you and Vic on not wanting to go entirely vegan. However, I've opened myself up to more vegan options and alternatives for whole meals without any meat. As long as they are whole foods. I've already noticed vegans can eat a lot of fattening unhealthy sh*t.

I just felt compelled to express my gratitude to you guys. The book blew my ****ing mind to be honest, and my girl just turned to me and had a similar moment of epiphany within the first 30 pages. (I can't tell you how many of those moments I had while reading. Countless.)

Had the same reaction man. I know the feeling, i went entirely vegan for awhile, but backed off after about 6 months and now am re-introducing some red meat here and there. But I don't intend to eat meat every day, just a few times a week.

Nutrarian, exactly. When I explain it to people, it's a "whole foods approach to nutrition".

Yup B12 supps and avoid "soy" alternatives. I inherently find soy to be one of the BIGGEST hype jobs in nutrition. Point is when it's a soy alternative, it's processed. Fermented soy is

Cool. Anyways, whole foods approach will lead you to optimal health. Just set a baseline and start tweaking with ratios. Happy for you bro.

Yup B12 supps and avoid "soy" alternatives. I inherently find soy to be one of the BIGGEST hype jobs in nutrition. Point is when it's a soy alternative, it's processed. Fermented soy is

Cool. Anyways, whole foods approach will lead you to optimal health. Just set a baseline and start tweaking with ratios. Happy for you bro.

I'm sure Crusher will play the role of fat guy scoffing at nutrition, however, I secretly hope he reads the thread and the book CTM recommended.

I highly recommend the paleo solution, lights out! By ts Wiley (not nutrition, but about the next most important thing, stress and cortisol) and good calories/bad calories by Gary taubes. If you don't like science, why we get fat by taubes, just a dumbed down version of good calories.

Yep.. it's a shame cause i know plenty of vegan types that think they are healthy cause they don't eat meat, but basically consume a bunch of fake meat replacements made out of soy or TVP and it's actually more processed and worse for them the originalys

Regarding the B12 supplement, was doing some reading on it - after I got to the portion of the book - and knowing my girl had a stint where she tried vegan in the past and it made her feel like crap. She wasn't supplementing, nor was she avoiding the refined crap.

I came across this:

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs): The PPIs include omeprazole (Prilosec, Losec), lansoprazole(Prevacid), rabeprazole (Aciphex), pantoprazole (Protonix, Pantoloc), and esomeprazole (Nexium). The reduced secretion of gastric acid and pepsin produced by PPIs can reduce absorption of protein-bound (dietary) vitamin B12, but not supplemental vitamin B12. Gastric acid is needed to release vitamin B12 from protein for absorption. Reduced vitamin B12 levels may be more common with PPIs than with H2-blockers, because they are more likely to produce achlorhydria (complete absence of gastric acid secretion). However, clinically significant vitamin B12 deficiency is unlikely, unless PPI therapy is prolonged (2 years or more) or dietary vitamin intake is low. Vitamin B12 levels should be monitored in people taking high doses of PPIs for prolonged periods.

I've been on Prilosec the better part of the past 10 years. I've asked my doctors repeatedly if side-effects of the medication are anxiety, fatigue, even depression, as I've experienced some of these things in recent years. They've sworn up and down there are no side effects. Pig ****ers. I don't think I've had major deficiency, but how friggin irresponsible that they have me on this stuff so long and don't let me know to supplement. Just another example why our healthcare is screwed up. Doc's don't pay attention to your care at all I'm learning quite quickly.

Anyway. I've stopped taking the Prilosec and I'm taking a supplement for good measure, as everything I've read says you can't over-do the B vitamins.

I know for a fact that if you follow Fuhrman's plan, even at 80%, you won't need Prilosec. I don't take any meds regularly and have talked to a bunch of people that are off all kinds of meds

I'm sure Crusher will play the role of fat guy scoffing at nutrition, however, I secretly hope he reads the thread and the book CTM recommended.

I happen to love nutrition. I would like to rub my nuts all over nutrition. Matter fact I have. Cantaloupe, now thats a sexy fruit. Trust me.

I know for a fact that if you follow Fuhrman's plan, even at 80%, you won't need Prilosec. I don't take any meds regularly and have talked to a bunch of people that are off all kinds of meds

You do realize thanks to you the ape will live longer. nice ****ing job.

Yup.

I also spent 5 days out in Indiana this past week and my allergies were nowhere near as bad as they typically are out there. In general I feel like a million bucks.

Yep.. it's a shame cause i know plenty of vegan types that think they are healthy cause they don't eat meat, but basically consume a bunch of fake meat replacements made out of soy or TVP and it's actually more processed and worse for them the originalys

Which is a common misconception. Im all for vegans and vegs if they go a natural path.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

3 weeks in eating with a commitment of about 70% to Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" approach.

I still have 1-2 beers a week, probably have more grains than I'm supposed to but they are whole, I still eat meat just less of it (if I have any it is less than 4 oz. per meal but I try to skip animal-based food at least one meal a day, and I eat things like granola that have some added fats and sugars - because I don't know how to make it myself yet.

I am now under 220 pounds for the first time in about 8 years. 218 last weigh in... down from 229 when I began shifting towards this. 10 pounds lost in 3 weeks. On WW before this I lost 15 pounds in 9 months, and my blood pressure went up in that time from eating low-point meals loaded with sodium.

My blood pressure 3 weeks ago was averaging about 145/90. I've taken it the last 3 days and it has been about 118/84. Diastolic still a little high, but it's only been 3 weeks and I haven't been exercising which will help that. Either way, I'm trending towards avoiding medication... after 3 weeks at a 70% commitment level.

Also, many of my stomach ailments seem to subside completely with dairy 100% out of my diet, even cultured yogurts which I thought didn't bother me.

Thanks Vic.

Thanks CTM.

Awesome to hear man. I'm glad you found something that is working for you. Even if it works now it might change, the body is a complex machine and it takes years to figure sh*t out. The most important thing is you've made the choice to figure it out for your health. Congrats!

It has been a humbling experience, and I've enjoyed that aspect of it as well.

I'm re-learning how to eat, how to cook, opening my eyes to things I scoffed at in the past... really seeing how foolish my assumptions about nutrition and eating were. I feel like I've been put in my place, in a good way.

My girl just spent the past week reading Fuhrman's book too. She's basically been eating what I tell her or make her for 8-9 days. She's already lost about 4-5 pounds, skin is glowing (like mine), teeth look whiter, and we aren't just eating like rabbits... if you know what I'm saying, EY-YO!!!!!!

Archived