Cosell: Shonn Greene is a "One Speed Runner"

flgreen

That's not a problem. He did it last year and was solid without being spectacular.

Yeah, but the Jets weren't using a run-first offense last season. This year that's what they're supposed to do. Y'know ... "ground and pound".

Yeah, but the Jets weren't using a run-first offense last season. This year that's what they're supposed to do. Y'know ... "ground and pound".

the jets run to pass ratio at it's peak was 5% higher than the NFL average. ground and pound is press conference nonsense

oh, and no one cares about the bills. never have and never will

I agree with this. I am not sold on Greene as of yet, but I am going to believe that without the schotty system in place that we would have seen a different runner. I look forward to Greene running behind a properly utilized FB and a WR that actually blocks down field. It's a team effort and our o line wa banged up last season, mulligan sucked, and we had scrub primadonna's at the WR position. Add that to the fact that Schott's game plans were absurd and everyone knew when greene was getting the ball and where he was going. It was a tough go at best. He's got a clean slate IMO and I look forward to Mcnight and the other guys (tebow included) added something extra as well. I'm exited.

Exactly. For Greene to even avg 4.2 behind that line and a coordinator in Schotty we should be praising such work. The man isnt a Frank Gore or Adrian Peterson, but both Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson, though both extraordinarily gifted, have good (vikings) to great (San Fran) play design. No one in their right minds would ever say that the Jets play design was good.

I forgot who I was speaking with here but someone gave me some pros on Sparano and I believe that Greene is going to have his best year here.

Starter, shmarter.... Greene will finish the season with less than half the team's rushing attempts in 2012.

Really looking forward to seeing the other three RBs in the preseason this year. If any of them demonstrate the ability to create, they should be given a chance come the regular season. McKnight's put on weight in hopes of taking LT's role, and a couple years ago that role was that of starter. I think he'll be given every chance to expand his role. Powell has a lot to prove, too. He was hurt by the lack of an offseason last year.

And Tebow will get more carries than Brad Smith ever did here.

I disagree with the Greene getting less than half the carries. I have seen NOTHING from McKnight or Powell that lead to me expecting a reduction in Greene's carries. I will grant you Tebow will take some away, but Sparano will probably add a corresponding amount (ie not passing 375 times against the Giants). McKnight has seemed more receiver than RB. Powell looked awful. Hopefully that was mostly the lack of camp, but you can't rely on him for anything at this point. Ganway was what? A sixth rounder? That's not a guy you count on for carries. I hope those guys produce, but unless you are counting on Greene getting hurt, I expect them to ride him like a rented mule and then let him walk if he gets a good offer elsewhere.

I disagree with the Greene getting less than half the carries. I have seen NOTHING from McKnight or Powell that lead to me expecting a reduction in Greene's carries. I will grant you Tebow will take some away, but Sparano will probably add a corresponding amount (ie not passing 375 times against the Giants). McKnight has seemed more receiver than RB.

I see it breaking down something like Greene 200 carries, McKnight 150, Tebow 50, then some miscellaneous carries dropping Greene below half. Could be my anti-Greene bias, but I believe the Jets will want to get McKnight and his speed the ball more often this year. The Jets asked McKnight to bulk up. They did that for a reason. And while Greene being in a contract year could serve as a reason to simply run him into the ground and pound, it's also a reason for the Jets to want to get a real feel for what else they have on the roster.

Powell looked awful. Hopefully that was mostly the lack of camp, but you can't rely on him for anything at this point. Ganway was what? A sixth rounder? That's not a guy you count on for carries. I hope those guys produce, but unless you are counting on Greene getting hurt, I expect them to ride him like a rented mule and then let him walk if he gets a good offer elsewhere.

I think that was mostly the lack of camp. The guy was buried #4 on the RB depth chart, and you know he was getting zero reps once they started preparing for the season. To me, he's the big wild card. On paper, he's the most complete back on the team.

Definitely not counting on Ganaway for anything, but if the Jets get a big lead in any game this season, I think they'll use that opportunity to give him as long a look as possible. Also, the way Sparano has the backs classified, Ganaway could potentially be the first back off the bench should Greene get nicked.

I see it breaking down something like Greene 200 carries, McKnight 150, Tebow 50, then some miscellaneous carries dropping Greene below half. Could be my anti-Greene bias, but I believe the Jets will want to get McKnight and his speed the ball more often this year. The Jets asked McKnight to bulk up. They did that for a reason. And while Greene being in a contract year could serve as a reason to simply run him into the ground and pound, it's also a reason for the Jets to want to get a real feel for what else they have on the roster.

I think that was mostly the lack of camp. The guy was buried #4 on the RB depth chart, and you know he was getting zero reps once they started preparing for the season. To me, he's the big wild card. On paper, he's the most complete back on the team.

Definitely not counting on Ganaway for anything, but if the Jets get a big lead in any game this season, I think they'll use that opportunity to give him as long a look as possible. Also, the way Sparano has the backs classified, Ganaway could potentially be the first back off the bench should Greene get nicked.

I think what it boils down to is that to whatever extent that you have an "anti-Greene bias" I have a greater anti-McKnight and anti-Powell bias. I have seen nothing from Powell that makes me confident that he deserves any carries and I didn't like McKnight much as a runner. Neither has gotten enough run to be sure about and I hope I am wrong about both, but...

I can see McKnight doing well as a 3rd down back, catching balls out of the backfield and having some successful runs on passing downs. I'm interested to see Ganaway, but have no faith. I hope they all do well, but I think I will be much happier with what Greene gives us than the others.

Archived