Titans to Start Locker over Hasselbeck

Bleedin Green

http://espn.go.com/n...ker-starting-qb

The Tennessee Titans reportedly will start quarterback Jake Locker in their Sept. 9 season opener against the New England Patriots.

Reporter Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reported the news via his Twitter account Monday, citing sources.

Titans coach Mike Munchak opened the competition in January between Locker, the eighth overall pick in the 2011 draft out of Washington, and veteran Matt Hasselbeck, who led Tennessee to an unexpected 9-7 record last season.

Hasselbeck and Locker split work again with the first-team offense Sunday, rotating between drills in the final open practice of training camp for Tennessee.

Locker was just 4-of-11 for 21 yards in his first NFL start Friday night, a 30-7 win at Tampa Bay.

Locker has been impressive to date coming off the bench. He threw for 542 yards and four touchdowns while running for a fifth score in five games as a rookie, and he was 7-of-13 for 80 yards again following Hasselbeck into the game against a mixture of Seattle's starters and backups in a 27-17 loss last week on the road.

So somebody has to say it... TRADE FOR HASSELBECK!!!

I don't care if he's not a long term answer, the crap this team has at QB is a lost cause anyway, so might as well get someone worth a damn in here in the meantime to win some games while trying to find the next guy.

Its a no brainer...buy Woody wants a Tebow back page from September on so bringing in someone who's clearly better than both Sanchez and Tebow is just never going to happen.

Maybe if we didn't keep winning and ending up in the back end of the 1st round we could get a new QB.

So somebody has to say it... TRADE FOR HASSELBECK!!!

I don't care if he's not a long term answer, the crap this team has at QB is a lost cause anyway, so might as well get someone worth a damn in here in the meantime to win some games while trying to find the next guy.

Yeah, you could do a LOT worse at QB than Hasselbeck. He's very accurate and has adequate arm strength, though he's always been turnover prone.

winning what? The Jets havent even won the division under Rex Ryan.

What does that have to do with his point? Last year's Super Bowl champs won their division at 9-7 (despite being swept by the worst team in their division) and that wasn't even the worst record for a division winner last season, while the prior year the Jets were a wildcard team at 11-5. 80's point is when you're winning that many games, you're not going to get a top pick. Unfortunately, even if they had one it doesn't guarantee anything about the QB they could get (see: Sanchez).

Yeah, if the Jets could just get themselves a QB with a top 5 pick, he'd certainly be destined for greatness.

Oh wait.

I'm not saying you NEED a top 5 pick. Locker was gotten at # 8 and Christian Ponder at # 12 in the 2011 draft. The jury is obviously out on those guys, but their upside is WAYYYYY higher than Sanchez's.

A 6-10 season every now and then can net you a solid QB.

The Titans aren't trading Hasselbeck, and the Jets wouldn't trade for him if they were.

Other than that, carry on.

I'm aware of this, but a guy can hope and dream can't he?

I tried to keep up optimism as long as possible about this offense, but this is getting ridiculous. All I've seen is that maybe I was right after all about what I thought back when last season first ended. The Jets should have been drafting Sanchez's future replacement this year while letting him have his one last shot, and they never should have gone anywhere near that waste of a roster spot known as Tebow.

I'm not saying you NEED a top 5 pick. Locker was gotten at # 8 and Christian Ponder at # 12 in the 2011 draft. The jury is obviously out on those guys, but their upside is WAYYYYY higher than Sanchez's.

A 6-10 season every now and then can net you a solid QB.

Yeah, I know. I was really just taking the opportunity to point out that even with a top pick the Jets still have given us no reason to believe they'd actually get a QB worth a damn.

Yeah, I know. I was really just taking the opportunity to point out that even with a top pick the Jets still have given us no reason to believe they'd actually get a QB worth a damn.

The year they decided to try was probably the wrong year. Woody became obssessed after the hoopla Favre brought the team. Sanchez was marketable. A lot of us fell for it. To those who didnt(and there were a bunch) kudos.

Archived