Beware pronouncing the New York Jets dead

JOJOTOWNSELL

saw this in a fantasy related article....good read

Beware pronouncing the New York Jets dead. There could scarcely be less optimism among Jets fans right now. I walk around the ESPN campus, talk to my Jets-fan friends, and am beset by a combination of frustration, resignation and self-loathing. The fact that neither Mark Sanchez nor Tim Tebow led the offense to a preseason touchdown stands in for all the existential angst these folks can muster. Although I questioned the Tebow acquisition and don't have the Jets in my playoff projection, I'm leery of getting so negative about a team with this much talent.

Mark Sanchez had a tough preseason, but he is coming off a season when he threw for 26 TDs and he is still the starter.

I don't think I need to convince you that the defense is very good. Darrelle Revis cures many ills in the pass defense, and, provided nose tackle Sione Pouha gets healthy quickly, I still like the run defense fairly well. You can call the pass rush somewhat below average, but at least 15 cities would gladly swap their defense for the Jets'.

No, the drama obviously comes on offense, where never has so much blame been placed on a right tackle. Wayne Hunter had the big-time yips in pass protection last season and this summer, and the furor basically got him run out of Gotham. Otherwise, the other four members of the O-line graded out as above average -- and some well above average -- on ProFootballFocus.com.

Is Sanchez a terrible player? I won't say terrible, but he's certainly not great. His throwing accuracy is bad, as he has never managed higher than a 56.7 percent completion rate in a season, which is pretty awful for a guy who was tied for 29th in yards per attempt last season. There's no trustworthy second wideout alongside Santonio Holmes, which will lead the team to start green rookie Stephen Hill. Shonn Greene is a pedestrian running back who, according to Pro Football Focus, was tied for 50th among qualified running backs in yards after contact per attempt (2.3) last season.

But here's the thing: This is the same cast of characters who averaged nearly 24 points per game last season and exceeded 27 points seven times. Were the Jets a juggernaut? No, in fact they got their offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, fired. But were they one of the 10 worst offenses in the league? I'd argue not. Sanchez threw for 26 touchdowns (albeit with 18 interceptions), ninth most in the NFL. It was a strong red zone attack, with 21 passing touchdowns and 13 rushing touchdowns coming from inside an opponent's 20. Was it elite? No. Was it a Dumpster fire? No.

The notion that we saw the best new coordinator Tony Sparano can offer in the preseason is laughable. I'd be lying if I said I watched every snap, but, whenever I saw Tebow, he was playing the traditional quarterback role the Jets hope he never has to play this season. They're going to use him in the Wildcat. They're going to get creative with him. Would I be overly psyched to consider starting any Jets offensive player in a 10-team fantasy league? No. But do I think guys such as Holmes and Greene have big upside and value if things break right for them? I do

I think the assessment of the defense is off. Way off. The writers states 15 other teams would love to have our defense. I say it's more like 25. Maybe even 30. Sure we haven't played a down yet but the addition of Coples, more focused Bart Scott, Landry.....

My assessment is

Defense A to A-

Offense C to C+

Special teams punting D

Special teams kicking C

Overall B to B- with upside if Sanchez plays well and we squeeze value out of Tebow/Holmes/Hill/Green

I don't think anyone is saying the Jets are one of the worst in the league. They're saying the Jets are not a playoff team.

It's not an outrageous assessment.

I don't think anyone would be shocked if we went 7-9.

7 - 9 to 9 - 7

I just dont see how this platooning QB thing will work, but obviously by the end of this season many questions will be answered.

I would feel a lot better about the season if we did.... but then again we blew out jacksonville and KC last year and look where that got us.

I hear ya, but it's always better to start winning than losing right? Last season was a weird one and it's in the past no matter how badly the media doesn't want to accept that. I'm not basing anything on last season. F*ck Buffalo. We're going to kick the sh*t out of them and shut some people up tomorrow.

so twitter's prediction is Jets win 27.5-16.125. Sweet.

yes, twitter is laying the 3 points.......btw the Jets line has moved a full 3 points since it opened at -6 since the schedule was released earlier this summer.....the only other team to move that much was the Texans from -6 to -12 against the dolphins......whats the point you ask?? The jets and the dolphins are the 2 teams that have gotten hammered the most by the media this preseason...the jets for not scoring a TD and the dolphins for Hard Knocks.....the public moved these lines because of the PERCEPTION (created largely by the media)that these are horrible teams.....and we know how well the "public" does against vegas lol!! take the Jets and Fins tomorrow

yes, twitter is laying the 3 points.......btw the Jets line has moved a full 3 points since it opened at -6 since the schedule was released earlier this summer.....the only other team to move that much was the Texans from -6 to -12 against the dolphins......whats the point you ask?? The jets and the dolphins are the 2 teams that have gotten hammered the most by the media this preseason...the jets for not scoring a TD and the dolphins for Hard Knocks.....the public moved these lines because of the PERCEPTION (created largely by the media)that these are horrible teams.....and we know how well the "public" does against vegas lol!! take the Jets and Fins tomorrow

so youre saying to take the Jets? Put all my money on jets? (i will never bet on the dolphins!)

Archived