New York Jets Week 2 Report Card

JetNation

http://www.jetnation.com/graphics/2008/report_card.gif

New York Jets Week 2 Report Card: Jets @ Steelers

Quarterbacks: F
Sanchez: 10/27, 138, 1 TD
Tebow: 1 rush , 22 yards

Sanchez marched the Jets down the field for a touchdown on their first possession. When was the last time that happened? This was a different kind of “terrible game” for Mark, as he did not cause a single turnover, but was still wildly ineffective – finishing 10/27 on the day. In fairness, his receivers did little to help him.. but with a 37% completion rating, he’s due plenty of criticism.
Running Backs: C-
Powell: 9/33
Greene: 11/23
McKnight: 1/12

Their production on the day was sub-par, even against the Steelers. Powell filled in capably (if not impressively) for Greene, who suffered an injury in the early goings.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: D+

Kerley: 2/67/0
Holmes: 3/28/1
Reuland: 2/20/0
Cumberland: 2/13/0
Gates: 1/10/0

The physical play of the Steelers secondary took the Jets wide receivers and tight ends by surprise. Holmes was able to draw a few pass interference calls, but the group suffered from poor communication and a lack of toughness. After his explosive debut, rookie Stephen Hill was held without a catch.

Offensive Line: C

The Jets offensive line held their own against a tough group. There was obviously more pressure against Sanchez than we saw in week 1, but that is to be expected.

Defensive Line: B-

When you factor in the poor health of the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line, and the fact that Pouha and DeVito rejoined this group for the first time, this performance was somewhat disappointing. They did a great job against the run, holding Pittsburgh to 66 net yards of rushing. However, with Revis out, this group needed to do a better job of closing on the quarterback. Pouha did post a sack.

Linebackers: B-

Once again, the front 7 did a great job of shutting down the running game, but they struggled to rush the passer. Garrett McIntyre did a wonderful job filling in for the injured Byran Thomas, as he put up 2 sacks.

Secondary: D

Big Ben had his way against this unit,  taking advantage of Revis’ absence. This should serve as a reminder that Revis’ effect on games, while “quiet” at times, is also quite momentous. With Revis’ in the game, all facets of the defense improve: the team can picks its battles – either sending an additional rusher on every play, or giving more help to vulnerable members of the secondary. The Jets secondary struggled to get off the field on 3rd down all day.

Special Teams: D+

Folk hit a field goal from 38 yards out and punter Malone was adequate. Kerley fumbled on special teams – that was the only turnover of the game.

Coaching: D

The coaching staff faced a tough challenge: going into Pittsburgh (it’s always rough playing there), against a Steelers team that was desperate to avoid going 0-2 and doing so without Revis, Keller or Byran Thomas. That said, the Steelers were missing several of their big guns as well and their offensive line was – supposedly – in shambles. Proper mid-game adjustments were not made on offense or defense.

Sorry dude but how many 3rd down conversions did Pitt have?.....You cannot win FB games when your D can't stop a 3rd down play.

face it, Rex has been figured out and for the most part our D looks slow (i.e. David Harris).

Rex's defense hasn't been figured out for about a decade, but yea, one poor game and all of a sudden the entire league caught on overnight. What happens when they still finish in the top 6 overall defenses??

Rex's defense hasn't been figured out for about a decade, but yea, one poor game and all of a sudden the entire league caught on overnight. What happens when they still finish in the top 6 overall defenses??

Sorry but I disagree....please count the number of 3rd down conversions allowed yesterday...that says it all....I could care less where they end up statistically....I want a freaking SB!

Sorry but I disagree....please count the number of 3rd down conversions allowed yesterday...that says it all....I could care less where they end up statistically....I want a freaking SB!

And you're entitled to that, but when 25 other teams in the NFL would trade their defense for ours, I have a sneaking suspicion that the league hasn't exactly figured it out. Rex called a half dozen blitzes, which generate an uncovered blitzer or two every single time, they just failed to wrap up. You can't expect Rex to tackle for the guys. That alone tells me the league hasn't figured him out, nor will anytime soon. Big ben is the best qb that I have ever seen at shaking off blitzes and has done it to us and the rest of the league for eight years.

And you're entitled to that, but when 25 other teams in the NFL would trade their defense for ours, I have a sneaking suspicion that the league hasn't exactly figured it out. Rex called a half dozen blitzes, which generate an uncovered blitzer or two every single time, they just failed to wrap up. You can't expect Rex to tackle for the guys. That alone tells me the league hasn't figured him out, nor will anytime soon. Big ben is the best qb that I have ever seen at shaking off blitzes and has done it to us and the rest of the league for eight years.

I get it...the last team I wanted us to lose two.......I am pissed!

Nonsense on stlits. We have an all world CB, some very good interior linemen and that's about it. Cro when Revis is hurt is a JAG, as is most of the rest of the defense. The rest of it is not so wonderful, they do not tackle well at all(if I have to watch Landry go for a big hit again intead of wrapping up I'll demand Eric Smith start!), they are given to dumb penalties and they don't get off the field on 3rd down. When they blitz they don't get there or again go for the big hit instead of wrapping up.

I get it...the last team I wanted us to lose two.......I am pissed!

I'm with ya, I'm not exactly thrilled either. But when after the first drive you play terribly in pretty much all aspects of the game and are still in it until late in the fourth quarter in someone else's home, things could definitely be worse.

QB: Grade D: Thought Sanchez started out great but as the game progressed got worse. When he started feeling pressure passes started going high.

RB: Grade C: Greene was not the same after getting hurt. I thought Powell showed me something though in his place for a spell and made a couple of nice runs.

WR's Grade F: Too many drops. Stephen Hill dropped one that could have been a TD but it was a tough play and play I think later on down the road he will make. Holmes was awful. Sanchez missed his safety net no doubt in Keller.

OL: Grade B- : I think they didn't not play badly. Austin Howard for the first time has some issues in blocking Woodley.

DL: Grade C: I thought they handled the Steelers run game well until that 10 minute drive in the 4th Qtr. They got very little pressure though on Roethlisberger.

LB: Grade D: Way to many missed tackles. Harris probably could have had three sacks if he have tackled Roethlisberger. McIntyre played a nice game though for the Jets. Is Calvin Pace still on the team ?

DB's: Grade D- : We all love Landry but he has to be a bit smarter out there. The horse collar tackle and the hit out of bounds cost the Jets dearly both times. Cro got totally lost on the heave to Wallace and can Wilson please tackle someone. They missed Revis badly.

Coaching: Grade D: I sat watching the post game on SNY and from alot of guys,(Holmes, Sanchez, Hill) I heard alot of "We will have to look at the film Monday" In response to "What did the Steelers adjust to shut you down". That bothered me to no end last night. Now whether they were being told to say that or that is what was happening I don't know. Somehow though you would think the Jets would have had an answer to any adjustments the Steeler made on made defense.

QB: Grade D: Thought Sanchez started out great but as the game progressed got worse. When he started feeling pressure passes started going high.

RB: Grade C: Greene was not the same after getting hurt. I thought Powell showed me something though in his place for a spell and made a couple of nice runs.

WR's Grade F: Too many drops. Stephen Hill dropped one that could have been a TD but it was a tough play and play I think later on down the road he will make. Holmes was awful. Sanchez missed his safety net no doubt in Keller.

OL: Grade B- : I think they didn't not play badly. Austin Howard for the first time has some issues in blocking Woodley.

DL: Grade C: I thought they handled the Steelers run game well until that 10 minute drive in the 4th Qtr. They got very little pressure though on Roethlisberger.

LB: Grade D: Way to many missed tackles. Harris probably could have had three sacks if he have tackled Roethlisberger. McIntyre played a nice game though for the Jets. Is Calvin Pace still on the team ?

DB's: Grade D- : We all love Landry but he has to be a bit smarter out there. The horse collar tackle and the hit out of bounds cost the Jets dearly both times. Cro got totally lost on the heave to Wallace and can Wilson please tackle someone. They missed Revis badly.

Coaching: Grade D: I sat watching the post game on SNY and from alot of guys,(Holmes, Sanchez, Hill) I heard alot of "We will have to look at the film Monday" In response to "What did the Steelers adjust to shut you down". That bothered me to no end last night. Now whether they were being told to say that or that is what was happening I don't know. Somehow though you would think the Jets would have had an answer to any adjustments the Steeler made on made defense.

You hit the nail on the head with this above. I think its the in game adjustments that are not being made which is killing us. I get the fact that it's one game but this non-existant 3rd down defense has been around for a year now. What is going on?

Hmm I'd say

QB-C+

RB-C-

WR/TE-F

OL-B

DL-B-

LB-D

DB-C

+1

The D would probably have a higher overall grade if Revis was present and accounted for...

The coaching staff could possibly have foreseen the Steelers focusing on taking out Hill, (which is obviously what they did based on his first outing) and loaded the slots, those things are hard to anticipate..but fark, where was the adjustment ?

I'd probably give the WR/TE a D- based on coaching, not picking up on Lebeau's game plan...

Archived