Its about time Rex beats a team he isnt supposed to beat

Matt39

Its not that we are "so caught up in what analysts say." The topic of this thread is "its about time Rex beats somebody he is not supposed to." Well how do we normally gauge that? We normally gauge that by what the so-called experts say.

Everybody and their mother was picking the Colts to win last week. Based on that alone, Rex beat somebody he wasn't supposed to beat last week. The notion of the OP that the Jets have never exceeded expectations under Rex Ryan is completely ludicrous. Did anyone predict the Jets would be one game away from the SB in either 2009 or 2010? Hell, even our loss to the Texans two weeks ago exceeded expectations as most "experts" had us losing that game by 3 or 4 dozen points.

I reject the premise of this thread.

The Jets were favored by linesmakers in the game. Lines are designed to reflect "public" sentiment in order to create equal betting on both sides.

So to say that "everyone" was picking to Colts last week is quite wrong. The line did not move in major swings last week, so there was a not a predominance of betting on one side or the other. That is the best guage of how "public" sentiment is on a game.

Soem of you guys are like little school girls-"Oh, little Joey said that I don't kiss on the first date. I HATE him now"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall Faulk on NFL Network last Sunday: "The Jets literally have no playmakers on offense and the Colts just have too many playmakers for the Jets defense to handle."

I sh*t you not.

They all did. Everyone of them said the Jets dont have a single competitive advantage and the game was going to be ugly for the Jets.

Why do you guys get so caught up in what analysts say about football?

'

Why do you get so caught up in what Rex says to the media?

Jets were home favorites last week. I'm talking about teams that are contenders. The Colts arent that.

The mark of a good coach is beating teams he isnt supposed to beat.

Matt, he's done that numerous times:

week 1 on the road at the Texans with a rookie QB making his first start

week 2 over the Pats

week 16 over the Colts (whatever, a win is a win)

week 17 over the Bengals

Postseason wildcard round over the Bengals

Postseason divisional round over the Chargers

week 2 over the Pats

week 15 over the Steelers in Pittsburgh

Postseason wildcard over the Colts

Postseason divisional over the Pats

week 1 over the Cowboys

week 1 over Buffalo (remember when Buffalo were the offseason champs, ready to take the next step and step one was gonna be pounding the Jets?)

Yeah, you're right. Rex has never beaten someone he's not supposed to beat.

Matt, he's done that numerous times:

week 1 on the road at the Texans with a rookie QB making his first start

week 2 over the Pats

week 16 over the Colts (whatever, a win is a win)

week 17 over the Bengals

Postseason wildcard round over the Bengals

Postseason divisional round over the Chargers

week 2 over the Pats

week 15 over the Steelers in Pittsburgh

Postseason wildcard over the Colts

Postseason divisional over the Pats

week 1 over the Cowboys

week 1 over Buffalo (remember when Buffalo were the offseason champs, ready to take the next step and step one was gonna be pounding the Jets?)

Yeah, you're right. Rex has never beaten someone he's not supposed to beat.

I've never said he hasnt done it, he just hasnt done it in over a year. The Jets were favored to beat Dallas. They were favorites against the Billls.

Go up to NE and beat the Patriots this week. Then we'll start taking you seriously again.

I think it's a lot more frustrating to lose to teams you're supposed to beat.

Thats been the biggest negative of the Ryan tenure outside of front office failures. In 2009 you had losses to the Dolphins (twice), Bills (at home), Jaguars, and Falcons. The Falcons were at least an ok team. The others were terrible. New England was only 10-6 that season and it cost the Jets a home game and maybe a bye week. Last year they probably lost at least 3 games where they were expected to win. Hes like the exact opposite of Herman Edwards who never beat a team that he was not supposed to beat but rarely lost to a team he was supposed to beat.

I think part of Ryans issue is he cant adjust in game to a bad performance. They had a plan on offense coming in and that was that. If it doesnt work they just get flustered. If the plan is to have a Sanchez throwing day so be it. Doesnt matter if you are running for 300 yards. Let him throw. Last week Sanchez wasnt going to throw the ball if Greene averaged 1.5 YPC, at least until late when you ran out of time. Whatever is decided on Wednesday seems to prevail on Sunday no matter what. When things click, like they did last weekend or like they have in the playoffs, it looks brilliant and its been impressive in the playoffs where they have surprised people with different plans and just played very good football. But that style of management leads to losses against the Dolphins. Teams that he has had little respect for who come out and surprise the Jets. Rex has almost no answer for it during the game because it is nothing he anticipated during the week.

Because it pertains to the team that I follow, and he comes off as a buffoon.

Just me, but I am not a fan of having a buffoon being my talking head.

And those analyst saying the Jets didnt have a single competitive advantage over the Colts doesnt pertain to the team you follow?

I'd say those analyst opinions are about as important as what Rex says the media. Which is why I dont give a **** about either.

And those analyst saying the Jets didnt have a single competitive advantage over the Colts doesnt pertain to the team you follow?

I'd say those analyst opinions are about as important as what Rex says the media. Which is why I dont give a **** about either.

I don't listen to the analysts. For some reason, some of you guys hang on their every word like a school girl.

Listen guys, Rex is a good defensive coordinator and a mediocre HC at the moment....as a head coach he is miles behind a guy like Belly. That's the fact. Can he eventually become a very good to great head coach? That remains to be seen.

I never stopped taking him serious.

Me neither. I do get the feeling, however, that some here never started.

Let's get real here. During good times, Rex is a brash, eccentric genius, but during bad times he is a buffoonish blowhard.

That's the nature of how he presents himself.

Archived