<><><>You be John Idzik Super Poll Mock<><><>

T0mShane

2013 Jets Mock Poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Bucs Offer 2013 First (#13), 2014 Second for Revis. You say...

• Yes, give me the draft picks
    • No, I'm keeping Revis
  2. 2. At Pick #9, these players remain on the board. You select...

• Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, University of Tennessee
    • Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    • Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    • Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    • Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU
  3. 3. If you opted to take Pick #13 (for Revis), you select:

• Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC
    • Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU
    • Bjoern Werner, OLB, FSU
    • Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
    • Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
  4. 4. Assuming you didn't draft Geno Smith, which QB do you take later on?

• Ryan Nassib, Syracuse (Rd. 2)
    • Matt Barkley, USC (Rd. 2)
    • EJ Manuel, FSU (Rd. 2)
    • Mike Glennon, NC State (Rd. 3)
    • Tyler Bray, Tennessee (Rd. 4)
    • Zac Dysert, Miami of Ohio (Rd. 4)
    • Matt Scott, Arizona (Rd. 4)
    • Sean Renfree, Duke (Rd. 5)
  5. 5. Post draft, these FAs are at the door. You can afford two of them. Which ones do you sign (if any)?

• Braylon Edwards, WR
    • Antoine Winfield, CB
    • Brandon Moore, OG
    • James Harrison, OLB
    • Tommy Kelly, DT
    • Charles Woodson, S
    • Israel Idonije, DE
    • Kerry Rhodes, FS
    • Ahmad Bradshaw, RB
  6. 6. It is January, 2014. The team finishes 7-9 with David Garrard at QB. The defense finishes top ten in ppg allowed, and the offense turns the ball over less. Your coach in 2014 will be (assuming these will say yes)...

• Rex Ryan, because he's earned it.
    • David Shaw, Stanford.
    • Jon Gruden, ESPN
    • Brian Kelly, Notre Dame
    • Mike Zimmer, DC, Bengals
    • Darrell Bevell, OC, Seahawks
    • Lovie Smith
    • Dirk Koetter, OC, Falcons
    • Jack Del Rio, DC, Broncos

The Jets need to make the bed for the QB of the Future to step into. Receivers generally need a redshirt year to figure it out. You give Hill, Austin, and a draftee TE a year head start, then you have a decent foundation of a receiving corps for QBOTF.

Or they all suck and we have a new coach, OC and everything else next season and its a wash. Games are still won and lost at the LOS.

I have no problem drafting a WR first round. Just not at 9. Not any of these guys. And I'd rather have Allen at the end of the day.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or they all suck and we have a new coach, OC and everything else next season and its a wash. Games are still won and lost at the LOS.

I have no problem drafting a WR first round. Just not at 9. Not any of these guys. And I'd rather have Allen at the end of the day.

Austin (and the two guards) are both talents who will succeed no matter who the coach or OC is.

Speak of the devil. NFL.com does a re-draft of the 2009 draft and puts teeny-tiny Percy Harvin and Mike Wallace in the top five.

Speak of the devil. NFL.com does a re-draft of the 2009 draft and puts teeny-tiny Percy Harvin and Mike Wallace in the top five.

Cool. Where'd the go in a place called reality?

Also, do you think Austin will come close to either of those players professionally?

Wallace I believe. Harvin not as much. NFL.com compares him to Randall Cobb. Also says he is strictly a slot receiver. Tell me where he was drafted again?

Tell me where Brady Quinn was drafted again? The point is that players of Austin's size can and have excelled, so the height argument doesn't fly.

Tell me where Brady Quinn was drafted again? The point is that players of Austin's size can and have excelled, so the height argument doesn't fly.

What does Brady Quinn have to do with anything? You're terrible at this.

They can and have succeeded. On teams that drafted that luxury player at a time and place in the draft that made sense. Nothing abou lt drafting Austin at 9 for this team makes any sense whatsoever right now.

They can and have succeeded. On teams that drafted that luxury player at a time and place in the draft that made sense. Nothing abou lt drafting Austin at 9 for this team makes any sense whatsoever right now.

They need offensive playmakers and he's one. It makes more sense than drafting some 4-3 End and hoping he can play OLB or a guy who's played football for 2 years (those are the other guys you want to draft...)

They need offensive playmakers and he's one. It makes more sense than drafting some 4-3 End and hoping he can play OLB or a guy who's played football for 2 years (those are the other guys you want to draft...)

Never said I WANTED to draft them. Go ahead and look what I said. I told you my top options. This guy isn't one of them. You aren't going to convince me otherwise at pick 9. Not happening.

Players who change field position and score TDs aren't "luxury picks."

Players who change field position and score TDs aren't "luxury picks."

Please again tell me where these slot receivers were drafted. Any top ten? Any drafted to non-winning teams? Again, you want to trade down and draft him, fine. I can live with that. He won't be the best receiver out of this draft and he's not worth the 9 overall. You won't sway me another way so don't bother.

Please again tell me where these slot receivers were drafted. Any top ten? Any drafted to non-winning teams? Again, you want to trade down and draft him, fine. I can live with that. He won't be the best receiver out of this draft and he's not worth the 9 overall. You won't sway me another way so don't bother.

You don't really have an argument against him other than that he's short...

You don't really have an argument against him other than that he's short...

Short, limited to the slot, not great hands, not a need on the team. I have lots of arguments against him. Again, not going to convince me otherwise. No need to continue to respond.

Short

True

limited to the slot,

False.

not great hands,

False by any measure.

not a need on the team.

also false.

I have lots of arguments against him.

none that have any validity.

Again, not going to convince me otherwise. No need to continue to respond.

Ok

this was a great poll by the way.

I love how the board has Chance at 9, Tyler at 13. both instant starters and positions of need. More importantly both offensive picks. Tavon Austin is 2nd place over Mingo at the 9 spot another offensive pick if Chance isn't there or whatever.

The national media would all look at this draft and say yup the Jets offense totally blows. And it tells Rex who's running the show now. whether it's WR/TE/OG, drafting 2 of 3 positions, everyone would love it. Jets get A's the next day (whatever that's worth).

If Idzik gets 2 picks it would not be surprising if both were offensive picks. The offense is dire.   

this was a great poll by the way.

I love how the board has Chance at 9, Tyler at 13. both instant starters and positions of need. More importantly both offensive picks. The national media would all look at this draft and say yup the Jets offense totally blows. And it tells Rex who's running the show now. Everyone would love it. If Idzik gets 2 picks it would not be surprising if both were offensive picks. The offense is dire.   

Eifert at 13 is a crazy reach. No one thinks he's Jimmy Graham or Aaron Hernandez. 

Here you go Tom:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/tavon-austin?id=2539336

WEAKNESSES Limited to the slot on most plays; lacks the size and strength most scouts prefer outside, or even as a kick returner. Hands are good, but not exceptional; will let some hot passes through his small hands and into his chest. Gets a lot of his yardage on shallow crosses, quick throws outside, and the fly sweep/"touch pass." Might not have the chance to get the sideline as often at the next level, forcing him to lower the shoulder and get what's available to him inside. Must prove he can hang onto the ball after taking big hits from NFL defenders. Will hesitate on punt and kick returns at times instead of immediately accelerating or trusting his blocking, and can get tripped up easily on contact. Incredible balance and stop/start ability, but he might not have elite straight line speed.

No it makes perfect sense. Eifert at 13 is a bad reach. He doesn't have any skills as elite as Austin does.

At least Eifert fills a need, is a day one starter and has much less chance of being a bust. It makes no sense. The Jets need day 1 starts from the day 1 draft. Not kick returners and small slot receivers. Austin has elite speed. Cool. Jets need more than that in the first round.

At least Eifert fills a need, is a day one starter and has much less chance of being a bust. It makes no sense. The Jets need day 1 starts from the day 1 draft. Not kick returners and small slot receivers. Austin has elite speed. Cool. Jets need more than that in the first round.

You're just proving that you don't know anything about Austin. He's MUCH more than just a fast guy and a kick returner. 

Here you go Tom:

WEAKNESSES Limited to the slot on most plays; lacks the size and strength most scouts prefer outside, or even as a kick returner. Hands are good, but not exceptional; will let some hot passes through his small hands and into his chest. Gets a lot of his yardage on shallow crosses, quick throws outside, and the fly sweep/"touch pass." Might not have the chance to get the sideline as often at the next level, forcing him to lower the shoulder and get what's available to him inside. Must prove he can hang onto the ball after taking big hits from NFL defenders. Will hesitate on punt and kick returns at times instead of immediately accelerating or trusting his blocking, and can get tripped up easily on contact. Incredible balance and stop/start ability, but he might not have elite straight line speed.

Drop percentage:

droprate.jpg

40 time: 4.33

I hate to parse these scouting reports, but two of this guy's major points of contention have been blown up. The "slot guy only" thing also rings of old-school gobbledygook. They say that about every receiver who's not 6'0. Victor Cruz is smaller, as well, and lines up all over the field. Ditto Harvin. It's not how the game is played anymore.

Here you go Tom:

This isn't a knock on you, it's the article i'm focusing on: His hands are pretty exceptional, given his drop rate and considering a lot of his passes came in traffic, his hand size his 9.18 inches which is bigger then Cordarelle Patterson's and I think his 4.28 forty kind of shot down the non-elite straight line speed critique.  

I personally don't want Austin at 9, but it's not for any of the above reasons.  The only way I want Austin is if it's at 13 and we landed Geno at 9. I know most people don't like Geno, but I'm a bit fan and would love to combine those two.  

Archived