Mike Mayock final mock gives the Jets...(warning: you'll discharge gametes)

T0mShane

How is this laughable? Jordan was so banged up this year that he could barely shed a block to save his life, not to mention he was asked to be in coverage more often than set the edge.  Regardless, you do not waste a top ten freaking draft pick on someone because he's better against the run. Are you telling me you'd rather have Courtney Upshaw than Bruce Irvin, because the former is one of the best OLBs against the run??

I'm telling you that if I'm going to take an OLB in the top 10 of the draft he better not be a guy you need to take off the field on running downs.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're talking about jordan right? In that video Mingo is not doubled at all and is relatively invisible. 

Relative to what? Coitainly not Jordan again.

More fun facts to further sh*t on this whole Jordan being better than Mingo idea:

Dion Jordan's 5 sacks came against such powerhouses as Arizona State, Washington State, Fresno State, and Tennessee Tech. Mingo picked his 4.5 up against Towson, Miss St, #8 South Carolina, #5 A&M, and #11 Clemson. 

Sack, run, and coverage extraordinaire Jordan picked up 121 (73 solo) tackles in his 4 seasons at Oregon. Too Scared to Benchgo picked up 109 (60 solo) in 3 seasons.

Jordan proved his run stuffing prowess with 26 TFL. Mingo rode his teammates to 29.

Coverage whiz Jordan deflected 2 passes in college, clearly a sign that QBs knew not to throw anywhere in his vicinity. Mingo received 11 through scoring errors/bias and more humble teammates who would totally bench at the combine.

Mingo chose not to bench because he's a pussy. Jordan chose not to because he would make everyone after else in this draft undraftable, it was a courtesy those who wish to see themselves as his peers.

40 yard dash:

Mingo: 4.53

Jordan: 4.54

10 yard split:

Mingo: 1.57

Jordan: 1.61

Vertical:

Mingo: 37

Jordan: 32.5

Broad:

Mingo: 10'8

Jordan: 10'2

Cone:

Mingo: 6.84

Jordan: 7.02

Shuttle:

Mingo: 4.39

Jordan: 4.35

So what. No one evaluates players like that. Show me one reputable source that has Mingo rated higher than Jordan. 

If you're dumb enough to judge how good a OLB is in coverage by his INT's you're probably too far gone into stupidville. 

I wasn't. However I wouldn't consider ability to cover as a top priority for a 34OLB. It's nice that he has that ability though. Didn't have too many impact plays however. 2 balls deflected and 0 ints. I already gave you his coverage ability and experience trumps Mingo's. So there's that.   

If the standard for winning the argument is yeah but Mayock, then what exactly are you doing here?

No it's not just Mayock. If there was some argument about these two players that would be one thing but literally NO ONE says Mingo is better than Jordan except a few people in this thread. Thats not a valid point?

My eyes by watching the tape and what everyone who makes their living evaluating players says, without exception. 

OH your eyes!? My bad. Can't question that.

Jordan moves well and was used in coverage. It is a nice thing to be able to do. It's nowhere near enough to make up for being a lesser pass rusher. 

Show me the bench press numbers please.

Er, neither benched. Jordan had an excuse, Mingo didn't. Def a red flag, really for both, considering their size. But in terms of "size", there about the same, Jordan has a few pounds and I think and inch and a half. So frame wise he's actually more slight. But both will go on meal plans for sure, I would think. Both have injury concerns where they missed parts of games last year. Btw arm length is about the same.

Taking Tyler Eifert over Jarvis Jones is like taking Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp. Eifert compares well to Heath Miller, not Gronk. TE is important and the Jets need one - but there are good prospects with perhaps better upside to be had later in the draft. 

No it's not just Mayock. If there was some argument about these two players that would be one thing but literally NO ONE says Mingo is better than Jordan except a few people in this thread. Thats not a valid point?

Not that this matters. They're both considered 1 and 2 and both go top 10 in most mocks, so really it's personal preference but...

Eagles reportedly like Barkevious Mingo better than Dion Jordan

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/04/eagles_reportedly_like_barkevi.html

This guy likes Mingo more than Jordan, I dunno:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-olbs-dion-jordan-and-barkevious-mingo

CBS Sports:

"04/21/2013 - 2013 NFL DRAFT: FIVE BOLD PREDICTIONS: 4. Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan is exposed as overrated...The 6-foot-6, 245-pound Jordan might just be the most remarkable athlete in the 2013 draft but while he certainly possesses the upside to make scouts drool, general managers might wonder why he wasn't more productive in a pass-happy Pac-12 conference. Savvy talent evaluators will point out that Jordan was just as likely to drop back into coverage as rush the passer. Rather than actually make plays in coverage, however, Jordan simply took up space."

Pauline has Jordan at #2 overall and opens his negatives with this:

Negative: Lacks awareness in coverage.

On the boards on DI from what I have read, he's offered more superlatives on Mingo than Jordan. He's said multiple times than Mingo is one of the best playmakers in this class, and massive amounts of numbers back that up. 

Not that this matters. They're both considered 1 and 2 and both go top 10 in most mocks, so really it's personal preference but...

Eagles reportedly like Barkevious Mingo better than Dion Jordan

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/04/eagles_reportedly_like_barkevi.html

This guy likes Mingo more than Jordan, I dunno:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-olbs-dion-jordan-and-barkevious-mingo

CBS Sports:

"04/21/2013 - 2013 NFL DRAFT: FIVE BOLD PREDICTIONS: 4. Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan is exposed as overrated...The 6-foot-6, 245-pound Jordan might just be the most remarkable athlete in the 2013 draft but while he certainly possesses the upside to make scouts drool, general managers might wonder why he wasn't more productive in a pass-happy Pac-12 conference. Savvy talent evaluators will point out that Jordan was just as likely to drop back into coverage as rush the passer. Rather than actually make plays in coverage, however, Jordan simply took up space."

OK you found a few. Thanks. I'm just gonna have to disagree with you strongly. 

So you don't need a strong upper body to pass rush? It's not useless at all. It's overrated but useless is a stretch.

Fine, it's not useless. It's overrated, not all that predictive in the case of pass rushers, and there a million better chest exercises. It's much less of a red flag to me than Jordan not physically being able to participate if he wanted to (not that he would throw up many reps anyway) because he just had shoulder labrum surgery (a nasty one for all athletes). This is particularly true considering Mingo dominated the most relevant exercises for pass rushers.  This really isn't even a contest...Jordan is by far the most overrated player in this draft. 

Can anyone find a mock draft or big board from any reputable source that has Mingo ahead of Jordan or ranked higher than him?

You will have your big board in less than 24 hours when the opinions of the evaluator who actually matter are revealed.  The hell do I care about what Kiper Jr, Mayock and these guys say, when they were the ones babbling about Flacco being an absolute reach and it being laughable that Irvin was chosen so quickly.  

Show me the bench press numbers please.

My god, get over this bench press number, you're grasping at straws here man.  Your only excuse for the bench press was that it shows lack of work ethic: how about him putting on 15 lbs of muscle in the last few months, while maintaining all of his speed and agility??  Or do you suppose he just put on 15 lbs of muscle by just eating more and running??  The kid is strong and the bench press is probably the single worst measurable to predict future performance in the NFL, but the ones that do matter, which he dominanted, you just ignore.

OK you found a few. Thanks. I'm just gonna have to disagree with you strongly. 

I mean, they're 1 and 2. It's basically a Joekel Fisher thing. Reports are some teams like Richardson more than Floyd. Look at Hayden and Milliner now. It's close enough not to try and throw around this, "EVERYBODY likes Jordan more so there," thing. If he's rated slightly higher it doesn't mean he just, "better at everything." They're pretty similar prospects, both with major upside and red flags.

Hess is too diplomatic about this. "Pretty similar" gets torn apart once you dig a little on both players and compare. Jordan wasn't more productive in college overall, he isn't bigger, he isn't better against the run, he isn't better in coverage (though he's more experienced there for whatever that is worth), and isn't the better athlete. 

Archived